Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
An ACT prohibiting smoking in public places and places of employment. [link to full text of HB190]

This bill would:

Dishonestly redefine smoking to include the use of electronic cigarettes and prohibit their use anywhere smoking is prohibited.

This Call To Action has two actions requested (please read carefully):

1. HB190 is currently awaiting a vote before the Democrat-controlled Kentucky House of Representatives. It is expected to pass, but CASAA is still strongly encouraging Kentucky citizens to call the Kentucky Legislature Messaging Service at 1-800-372-7181 and pass along word to your representative that you want them to offer an amendment to remove e-cigarettes from the "smoking" ban.

2. The body that is most likely to remove e-cigarettes from the ban is the Kentucky Senate Standing Committee on Health and Welfare, which is Republican-controlled.

Please see CASAA: Kentucky Call to Action! for full information and tips for what to say.

Last edited:

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Just need one KY House member (most likely a Republican but a Democrat would be even better, and preferably a member of the Health Cmte) to offer an amendment to eliminate e-cigs from the bill.
I'm currently working with some Kentucky e-cig users and urging them to make personal contact with their representatives (not an e-mail, not only speaking with a staffer, but calling and asking for a return call).

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I'm currently working with some Kentucky e-cig users and urging them to make personal contact with their representatives (not an e-mail, not only speaking with a staffer, but calling and asking for a return call).
The world today ignores unwanted emails and left messages with staffers.
Insisting on a Return Call ... Well that's different !!

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Yeah, I called one and left a message with a staffer. She did take my name and phone number. I doubt I will get a call back.

I plan to make more calls but need to plan them a bit better.

I don't know much about our state government. I wonder who would be a good target for getting an amendment to remove e-cigs?

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Yeah, I called one and left a message with a staffer. She did take my name and phone number. I doubt I will get a call back. I plan to make more calls but need to plan them a bit better. I don't know much about our state government. I wonder who would be a good target for getting an amendment to remove e-cigs?
Call your own legislator and ask for a return call. When you speak to your representative, you can ask him, "I'd like some suggestions on some other legislators who may also be open to sponsoring an amendment, who would you recommend?" If he's a Democrat, mention that you know your position may fare better with Republicans. Regardless, push, push, push. If you have friends who live in the same district as your rep, get them to call him or her as well.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Call your own legislator and ask for a return call. When you speak to your representative, you can ask him, "I'd like some suggestions on some other legislators who may also be open to sponsoring an amendment, who would you recommend?" If he's a Democrat, mention that you know your position may fare better with Republicans. Regardless, push, push, push. If you have friends who live in the same district as your rep, get them to call him or her as well.

Both my Senator and Rep are Dems. The rep is actually the Co-Chair of the House Committee on Health and Welfare.

I guess I will feel him out. You never know when you will find one to be open to the idea of harm reduction.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Both my Senator and Rep are Dems. The rep is actually the Co-Chair of the House Committee on Health and Welfare. I guess I will feel him out. You never know when you will find one to be open to the idea of harm reduction.
Well, it's always possible that he may be inclined to vote for or introduce the amendment to remove e-cigarettes. Even if not, he will probably be inclined to be nice to you (aka be a politician) and answer your question about what Republicans or Democrats have been against the smoking ban and might be willing to introduce the amendment.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Well, it's always possible that he may be inclined to vote for or introduce the amendment to remove e-cigarettes. Even if not, he will probably be inclined to be nice to you (aka be a politician) and answer your question about what Republicans or Democrats have been against the smoking ban and might be willing to introduce the amendment.

Actually, I see that he has an open invitation to visit him on Saturday mornings at his house from 10-noon. Only a couple miles from my house.

May try to get over there tomorrow.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Actually, I see that he has an open invitation to visit him on Saturday mornings at his house from 10-noon. Only a couple miles from my house. May try to get over there tomorrow.
Last pieces of advice

(1) One point that may work on him is noting that even if e-cigarettes are removed from the bill, he or any other legislator can always bring up a second bill to ban e-cigarette use in certain places that wouldn't be very controversial (i.e., child daycare facilities and public K-12 schools).

(2) Demonstrate how you can vape without exhaling vapor to point out how the law is unenforceable and thus business owners will have no way to comply with the law (unlike smoking, where it's hard not to notice)

(3) Don't blow out giant clouds of vapor if asked to show him how an e-cigarette works.

(4) Note that the rationale behind smoking bans is that we can't allow business owners to make the choice because secondhand smoke causes harm. Well, there's zero evidence that e-cigarettes cause harm or complicate enforcement of smoking bans, so why not allow individual business to decide?

Bad news. This passed the committee today already.

Kentucky Smokers Unhappy as Statewide Smoking Ban Looms

Yeah. It was literally introduced the day before the Health Committee met to consider it.

We can still get e-cigs removed when the vote goes to full House floor. Don't let this discourage you!

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Since the KY House Health Cmte passed the same bill last session, nobody should be surprised they did so again.

But I disagree with CASAA's CTA urging folks to contact KY Senators, as the legislators who NEED to be contacted NOW are KY House members. If the House approves the bill (which I don't think will occur), then we should urge folks to contact Senators.

junkman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Louisville
Since the KY House Health Cmte passed the same bill last session, nobody should be surprised they did so again.

But I disagree with CASAA's CTA urging folks to contact KY Senators, as the legislators who NEED to be contacted NOW are KY House members. If the House approves the bill (which I don't think will occur), then we should urge folks to contact Senators.

Thanks Bill.

I have emailed my rep (on the committee) and hopefully will catch him at home tomorrow. After reading up on him, I don't think he will be too supportive, but I may have a chance to enlighten him on THR.

The thing about the bill is that it doesn't really impact me because I don't go out to the bars or vape in restaurants. But it is just the precedent of the thing, lumping in vaping as smoking. That is a bad deal.

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Hot off the press (via a friend on Facebook):

Rep. Stan Lee filed an amendment to HB190 to exclude ecigs!!! woot!! ive battled with this man over gay marriage before but i guess this shows we can agree on some things! Call you Reps and ask them to vote YES on HFA1 amendment to HB190 to exclude electronic cigs from the bill!!

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
The amendment:

Removes all mention of ecigs from the bill.

HFA1 amendment to HB190.jpg

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
OK, the only potential problem I can see with it is the line "On page 3, line 13, by deleting "(c)" and inserting "(b)" in lieu thereof." As it reads right now, line "(c)" while making no mention of ecigs, reads as follows: "(c)The use of any oral smoking device for the purpose of circumventing the prohibition of smoking in Section 2 of this Act."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread