Battery Life: ProVari vs. "Kicked" mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

toottoot

Apr 5, 2012
Iowa
Does anyone have info for battery life between a ProVari and "kicked" mods (eg. Legacy). I have been using a ProVari for nine months, and I am 100% happy.....great device! Looking for a device to have for a backup, maybe a PureSmoker "kicked" Legacy.

I am a heavy vaper and can get 10-12 hours from my 18490 batteries, all day with 18650's and single coil cartos.

Does the Kick drain batteries more guickly?

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
as far as straight up numbers: i don't have those....however, i've heard people around the forums having issues with the kick's very strict voltage limitation....and the fact that it can drain a battery fairly quickly...however, if you get a telescoping mod, you can kick one of those trustfire 3000 mAh 18650 batteries and probably outlast the 'vari.

dDubs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
Buffalo, NY
Aren't the trustfire batteries protected? You can't use protected with the kick, the need to be high drain, like an AW IMR. I wouldn't even use any other IMR battery. It will depend on your setup- if your running the kick at 10 watts(max. setting) with like a 3 or 3.5ohm carto, its going to drain the battery faster than, say a 2ohm (recommended) set to 8 watts.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Both Provari and the Kick use IMR the Provari is 30 maybe 40% percent better battery life. I cant enplane why or how but I seem to get better battery life from my kicked saber touch rather than the mechanical mods. But the Provari still beats them both. For Battery life. If you want VW and battery life the Stallion uses the DNA chip and a 22650 bat! 2 to 2.5 days of vaping!!!!! and its the smoth quality Vape you cant get from a Chinese one.
Im baising battery use with a 18650 for the kick I wouldent bother with a 18500

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
New from Evolv -- the Kicklet

Super T Manufacturing, Innovative manufacturer of electronic cigarette products.

What is the Kiklet? It's a variable wattage screw on module that utilizes the Kick by Evolv. Kick sold seperately.

Advantages and features:

- Allows use of the Kick on devices that don't have a sleeve or don't have room for the Kick (like many 18350, 18500 and 18650 battery equipped mods)

- Fits most any 510 threaded PV

- No removing the Kick for each battery change (and tearing the protective plastic) and then having to fiddle with it again to get it in and make a good ground. Set it and forget it!

- Almost instantaneous transfer from device to device.

- Rodium Plated contacts

- Cap accepts most any 510 atomizer, rebuildable, tank and also Ego C and Ego Tank style atomizer

- Cross slotted for airflow

- Stainless steel contstruction

Kick and Kicklet kit - $100

3KIKLET.jpg

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
I have both the ProVari and the Kicked Legacy (with the 18650 extension tube) ... both perform stellar, I use them both about equally (normally alternate them vape-to-vape), and I get about the same amount of vaping time per charge from each—BUT, I'm using an AW IMR 18500 in the ProVari, and an AW IMR 18650 in the Kicked Legacy! I have Penelopes on both of them, and I'm running them both at about 7.5 Watts. So, it would seem—at least in my experience—that the ProVari has the edge on battery efficiency.

BTW, on a related issue, it has been reported and verified that the input side of the Kick can drain a battery even if the mod is not being used, but if and only if the mod has a switch that make/breaks the positive connection between the Kick and the atty, since this only switches the Kick's output side. Bottom button mods like the Legacy do not have this issue, since the Legacy's switch makes/breaks the negative connection

Last edited:

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Stupid question....so with the kick mod, you set the wattage you want, and it always goes to that regardless of what resistance there is?

Correct. Although, you may not be able to achieve the Kick's maximum wattage (10 Watts) with all resistances, due to the amp limitations. The Kick will give you full coverage with attys in the 2-3Ω range. I think the minimum it will work with is about 1.25Ω?

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
Stupid question....so with the kick mod, you set the wattage you want, and it always goes to that regardless of what resistance there is?

Basically, you set the kick up with a wattage you prefer, and you get that power every time...it works almost exactly like the Darwin, by monitoring your a try resistance automatically, and spitting volts at it dialed to exactly the wattage set.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

toottoot

Apr 5, 2012
Iowa
I have both the ProVari and the Kicked Legacy (with the 18650 extension tube) ... both perform stellar, I use them both about equally (normally alternate them vape-to-vape), and I get about the same amount of vaping time per charge from each—BUT, I'm using an AW IMR 18500 in the ProVari, and an AW IMR 18650 in the Kicked Legacy! I have Penelopes on both of them, and I'm running them both at about 7.5 Watts. So, it would seem—at least in my experience—that the ProVari has the edge on battery efficiency.

BTW, on a related issue, it has been reported and verified that the input side of the Kick can drain a battery even if the mod is not being used, but if and only if the mod has a switch that make/breaks the positive connection between the Kick and the atty, since this only switches the Kick's output side. Bottom button mods like the Legacy do not have this issue, since the Legacy's switch makes/breaks the negative connection

Scott, sounds as though you are pleased with your Legacy. Is it well built?

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Scott, sounds as though you are pleased with your Legacy. Is it well built?

Very solid! Very nice, smooth threading. Button action is very nice, and the throw is adjustable. The top cap has a deep "speed thread"; makes it very simple to take the top cap and atty off "in one piece" for easy access to the Kick's wattage-setting pot. The SS media-blasted finish on the Legacy is very similar to the SS satin ProVari finish, and is quite pleasant to hold ... just enough "grip" to keep it from slipping around even with a light grasp. Yes, it is a very well-built mod, and IMO, well worth the money ... the Legacy standard with the 18650 extension tube and a Kick is about the same price as the basic ProVari. I might add that, like the ProVari, the Legacy is all heavy stainless steel, with polished top cap and bottom switch; the ProVari is very slightly heavier, but not by much ...

Last edited:

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
just the opposite, more resistance needs more volts to achieve the same wattage....so you consume more power.

True ... but there is also less amp drain at higher voltage into higher resistance, and since amps are what your batteries are filled with, higher voltage with higher resistance equals lower amp draw, which equals longer battery life.

Examples:
3.8V @ 1.8Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 2.11 Amps
4.2V @ 2.2Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 1.91 Amps
4.9V @ 3.0Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 1.64 Amps
5.2V @ 3.4Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 1.53 Amps

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
True ... but there is also less amp drain at higher voltage into higher resistance, and since amps are what your batteries are filled with, higher voltage with higher resistance equals lower amp draw, which equals longer battery life.

Examples:
3.8V @ 1.8Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 2.11 Amps
4.2V @ 2.2Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 1.91 Amps
4.9V @ 3.0Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 1.64 Amps
5.2V @ 3.4Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 1.53 Amps
With boosted PVs your numbers don't tell the whole story about how many amps the battery needs to supply.

Lets look at '5.2V @ 3.4Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 1.53 Amps'. What will a single boosted battery need to supply as it drains and how more it will need to supply when it drops to 3.6V to maintain regulation?

Assuming a ~10% efficiency hit.

Withe the battery @

- 4.2V-> 2.1A

- 4V-> 2.3A

- 3.6V-> 2.5A

emong

Oct 12, 2012
Philippines
With boosted PVs your numbers don't tell the whole story about how many amps the battery needs to supply.

Lets look at '5.2V @ 3.4Ω = ~8 Watts, but draws 1.53 Amps'. What will a single boosted battery need to supply as it drains and how more it will need to supply when it drops to 3.6V to maintain regulation?

Assuming a ~10% efficiency hit.

Withe the battery @

- 4.2V-> 2.1A

- 4V-> 2.3A

- 3.6V-> 2.5A

Been using the kick for 2 days now, and barely getting 3 hrs usage on a single charge, under setting 9 with a 1.4ohm load.

I'm lost, so would it be better to use a LR or HR atty? Which one will save me mah. On a side note, will I also save mah on a single coil than a dual coil setup with say a 1.4 ohm build?

Or just dial down the power setting to say 7 to save on mah?

Thanks in advance. Lovin' my kicked out PV.

mikeygar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Manila
Been using the kick for 2 days now, and barely getting 3 hrs usage on a single charge, under setting 9 with a 1.4ohm load.

I'm lost, so would it be better to use a LR or HR atty? Which one will save me mah. On a side note, will I also save mah on a single coil than a dual coil setup with say a 1.4 ohm build?

Or just dial down the power setting to say 7 to save on mah?

Thanks in advance. Lovin' my kicked out PV.

what battery and tube you using boss? on my provari mini w/18350 and a 3 ohm cart at 5v i'm getting at least 5 hours of chain vaping on it. Was thinking of getting a tube mod also, with an 18490 + kick so I can use my extra batts. When i use the 18490 on my prover, i get at least 10 hours of vaping from it. Anyone have experience with an 18490 and a kick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread