Temp Control Coil Heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
Virginia
Hello. I am a heavy vaper, and I've been trying temp control for the last month or so on my Ipv3 li . I've been using the 0.15 ohm nickel coil heads for the Atlantis 2 and the Subtank mini. Despite being the same resistance, the Atlantis coil head had to be set to a maxed out 572 degrees for a sufficiently warm vape. The subtank coil, however, had to be set no higher than 350 or else it would be too hot. Both coils started giving me dry burned hits after about a week. The temp control worked perfectly for the first week of each coil, and then kinda stopped entirely, without any change in my settings. Any help, suggestions, or ideas would be appreciated.

BShady

Verified Member
Jun 16, 2014
Cincinnati, OH USA
I assume that you set the resistance for both setups and that the resistance it read was close to 0.15 ohms? Make sure you set the resistance (press the + and - buttons simultaneously) on your coil after the coil has been acclimated to the ambient temperature and before firing it even once. Another consideration would be what you have your Joules set to. I assume your settings are correct - joules mode, Ni200 coil type, coil resistance set as described above... ? The joules setting can have an affect (though it shouldn't be as drastic as what you're describing) on the perceived temperature. A higher joules setting will allow the coil to heat up more quickly and cause a smaller duty cycle which makes the vape taste warmer even without changing the temp control setting.

Regardless, I fear you must have either erroneous settings or some other hardware issue (like a short) if you are getting "dry burned hits". I regularly run my Subtank Mini completely dry on my iPV3 Li in Joules mode and am only able to notice that the tank is empty because the vapor production falls off - but have NEVER gotten a dry, burned hit in TC mode.

Please post all settings info and set coil resistance.

Reactions: ShelaghDB

BOBimus Rex

Aug 30, 2014
Virginia
I assume that you set the resistance for both setups and that the resistance it read was close to 0.15 ohms? Make sure you set the resistance (press the + and - buttons simultaneously) on your coil after the coil has been acclimated to the ambient temperature and before firing it even once. Another consideration would be what you have your Joules set to. I assume your settings are correct - joules mode, Ni200 coil type, coil resistance set as described above... ? The joules setting can have an affect (though it shouldn't be as drastic as what you're describing) on the perceived temperature. A higher joules setting will allow the coil to heat up more quickly and cause a smaller duty cycle which makes the vape taste warmer even without changing the temp control setting.

Regardless, I fear you must have either erroneous settings or some other hardware issue (like a short) if you are getting "dry burned hits". I regularly run my Subtank Mini completely dry on my iPV3 Li in Joules mode and am only able to notice that the tank is empty because the vapor production falls off - but have NEVER gotten a dry, burned hit in TC mode.

Please post all settings info and set coil resistance.
With the subtank heads, I set the joules to 30 and temp to about 300f. I always set a baseline. If I didn't then it wouldn't have worked for the first week. With the Atlantis heads I go with 50 joules at 570f. Again both coils are locked in at 0.15, and work great for a week, then start acting like old kanthal heads (not wicking well and burned taste).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread