IPV3 LI Temp control faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx8man1987

Dec 15, 2013
usa
I just got my first Temp control mod in. It's an IPV3 LI. I watched a few review videos and coil videos before purchasing to make sure I was comfortable with it. Got it yesterday. Tried Building a twisted 28 gauge 14 wrap micro coil. Came out to be .1 ohms. Good enough.. Went to do the wick test (fire with the cotton no juice) The cotton went into flames. I had the temp settings at the lowest possible.. The coil fired up like a regular kanthal coil..This was on a Dark Horse rda

Today, I built Riptrippers 28 gauge 14 wrap standard coil.. It did the same thing.. This time it was on a Magma rda.

Did I get a faulty temp control? It vapes and everything nicely. But I don't think it's working properly on the temp control side of things. I have even used a Subtank Mini OCC nickel coil. Dry hits. It's not shutting the system down..

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I just got my first Temp control mod in. It's an IPV3 LI. I watched a few review videos and coil videos before purchasing to make sure I was comfortable with it. Got it yesterday. Tried Building a twisted 28 gauge 14 wrap micro coil. Came out to be .1 ohms. Good enough.. Went to do the wick test (fire with the cotton no juice) The cotton went into flames. I had the temp settings at the lowest possible.. The coil fired up like a regular kanthal coil..This was on a Dark Horse RDA

Today, I built Riptrippers 28 gauge 14 wrap standard coil.. It did the same thing.. This time it was on a Magma RDA.

Did I get a faulty temp control? It vapes and everything nicely. But I don't think it's working properly on the temp control side of things. I have even used a Subtank Mini OCC nickel coil. Dry hits. It's not shutting the system down..

imo, yes, that is faulty.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
What comes to my mind I remember from awhile ago, there was an issue where a tc mod you 'decide' that you were not using nickel and switch on it's own to wattage mode so it ended up putting far too much power

btw, you haven't stated clearly whether or what ohms your ipv device measured the coils in question as.

If your coil tested as 0.1 on a separate meter, but your ipv thought it was a 1 ohm coil, or even a 0.2 ohm coil, that might be the cause of the problem

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
What comes to my mind I remember from awhile ago, there was an issue where a tc mod you 'decide' that you were not using nickel and switch on it's own to wattage mode so it ended up putting far too much power

Yeah, it sounds to me like it's not even in TC mode. Something weird.

rx8man1987

Dec 15, 2013
usa
Here's a picture of my screen in joule mode

Attachments

• 20150714_131920.jpg
    20150714_131920.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 223

rx8man1987

Dec 15, 2013
usa

btw, you haven't stated clearly whether or what ohms your ipv device measured the coils in question as.

If your coil tested as 0.1 on a separate meter, but your ipv thought it was a 1 ohm coil, or even a 0.2 ohm coil, that might be the cause of the problem
Is that something I could control myself? I have never run into that problem with any of my chipped mods.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
How are you securing the leads? Nickel does not like insecure connections so the post holes (especially the giant ones on the dark horse) are not the best way to secure the leads. You might try wrapping the wire around the screw heads and screwing them down.

Regardless, I don't feel that your mod should be firing at 3.31V unless the wattage was very high. Either that or your mod is not reading the resistance right.

rx8man1987

Dec 15, 2013
usa
How are you securing the leads? Nickel does not like insecure connections so the post holes (especially the giant ones on the dark horse) are not the best way to secure the leads. You might try wrapping the wire around the screw heads and screwing them down.

Regardless, I don't feel that your mod should be firing at 3.31V unless the wattage was very high. Either that or your mod is not reading the resistance right.

I am screwing them down until the coil doesn't move anymore while I wiggle the legs then give another 1/16 turn if that to be safe. I honestly think that it's malfunctioning as well. I just don't want to create a return thing unless I'm absolutely sure.. I bought it on Ebay which was probably a mistake to begin with but I'm safe there if it's malfunctioning.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I am screwing them down until the coil doesn't move anymore while I wiggle the legs then give another 1/16 turn if that to be safe. I honestly think that it's malfunctioning as well. I just don't want to create a return thing unless I'm absolutely sure.. I bought it on Ebay which was probably a mistake to begin with but I'm safe there if it's malfunctioning.

Well yeah, that might be an issue. That isn't the most secure connection, the more surface area you have in contact the better with Nickel. Try wrapping the leads around the screws like you would with a kayfun. Also, turn down the joules to a minimum as well as the temp. 365F isn't the lowest it can go, 212F is. If you have everything turned all the way down, and as secure of a connection as possible and it still does it, then we can call it faulty.

rx8man1987

Dec 15, 2013
usa
Well yeah, that might be an issue. That isn't the most secure connection, the more surface area you have in contact the better with Nickel. Try wrapping the leads around the screws like you would with a kayfun. Also, turn down the joules to a minimum as well as the temp. 365F isn't the lowest it can go, 212F is. If you have everything turned all the way down, and as secure of a connection as possible and it still does it, then we can call it faulty.
I grabbed my RBA for my subtank and cranked the screws down. The cotton caught fire in the wick test. I may take a trip to a B&M store and see if they can help me a bit before I try and open a case.. Thanks for your help bud. I appreciate it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread