Why do people keep comparing LT to Provari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrasslover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Willow Spring, NC
I've had my LT for a few weeks now and I love it. I keep reading comparisons to the provari. Why? Obviously, these are 2 different classes of mods. I don't own a provari but I'm well aware that it is probably the best VV mod there is. Would I like to have a provari? Heck yea! However, I don't have the money to buy one which is why I got the LT. For the price difference I never expected it to be as good as the provari. Maybe the voltage under load isn't always correct or god forbid the red Lavatube graphic rubs off. So what? It works for me and works dang good for the money. It's like comparing a Mercedes to a Focus. So, if you're going to review the LT, review the LT! Don't compare it to a provari.
:2c:

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Because the LT is a cheap knock off of the Provari. Both take the same battery, they are about the same size, claim to do the same thing (regulated variable voltage), etc.

So you don't care if the logo looks bad... Some people do care.

So it doesn't bother you that 6v is really only 5.3v... Some people it does bother. I am one of those people.

While cheaper than a Provari, the LT still isn't "cheap". A kit is still $100. When I spend my money on something, I expect it to look and function as advertised. Why are so many people giving it a pass on obvious flaws in the design and quality? It's like some people don't mind that it only kind of does what it's supposed to do.

Sent via cellular communication device...

jacquelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
California
Because the LT is a cheap knock off of the Provari. Both take the same battery, they are about the same size, claim to do the same thing (regulated variable voltage), etc.

So you don't care if the logo looks bad... Some people do care.

So it doesn't bother you that 6v is really only 5.3v... Some people it does bother. I am one of those people.

While cheaper than a Provari, the LT still isn't "cheap". A kit is still $100. When I spend my money on something, I expect it to look and function as advertised. Why are so many people giving it a pass on obvious flaws in the design and quality? It's like some people don't mind that it only kind of does what it's supposed to do.

I was just posting the same thing. I agree that there are dozen of post talking about quality and price. I know that first runs tend to have more flaws. I did order a lavatube( Holidays making the mail take forever) I want to try it as a back up to my provari since I am not a fan of my buzz pro

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
I want to try it as a back up to my provari since I am not a fan of my buzz pro

Really??? I was thinking about getting a buzz pro next, as I am not a fan of the Lavatube. What specifically don't you like? I'll take your answer in a PM if you want, since this isn't really the appropriate forum for it.

Barefoot

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Xianning, Hubei Province, China
I've owned and used both and now have sold the Provari :ohmy:

The Provari was excellent - great build quality etc and did exactly what it said on the tin! The downside was that I found it very heavy in 18650 mode and a tad annoying pressing the button ALL the time - when i wasn't too keen on the button. It was also an indulgence that i didn't actually need - i love my GLV mini and the Provari just couldn't replace it!

The Lava Tube - is cheap and cheerful - is light, has a nice clicky button, easy to change the V's - I'll accept that it may not be giving me the exact V's - i usually have it set under 4.2 anyway.

If i'd had more money - i would have kept the Provari and bought a couple of more 18490's for it - but the LT is good enough for me as both are secondary to my GLV!

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Because the first thing I heard about it was --- Better than a Provari......and other words I was astounded to hear but will not try and quote, but all quite negative about Provari, Provape and Provari users.

I would certainly expect the vast amount of Provari purchasers in the past year would be offended by the awful comments that have been made about them, much less one of their favorite (or favorite) mods.....and speak up often!

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
I've had my LT for a few weeks now and I love it. I keep reading comparisons to the provari. Why? Obviously, these are 2 different classes of mods. I don't own a provari but I'm well aware that it is probably the best VV mod there is. Would I like to have a provari? Heck yea! However, I don't have the money to buy one which is why I got the LT. For the price difference I never expected it to be as good as the provari. Maybe the voltage under load isn't always correct or god forbid the red Lavatube graphic rubs off. So what? It works for me and works dang good for the money. It's like comparing a Mercedes to a Focus. So, if you're going to review the LT, review the LT! Don't compare it to a provari.

Because they are two of the very few vv tubes that have a meter and use a booster regulator that boost voltage from a single battery which many seem to find a plus for some reason.

bluegrasslover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Willow Spring, NC
Many consider the ProVari the "gold standard" for VV devices. Comparisons are going to be unavoidable.

Exactly what I mean! Provari is the gold standard (class) while the LT is silver or bronze. They both perform basically the same action but really are in different classes. That's all I'm saying.

Warlordxxx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
Oldham UK
What i'd like to know is why can't they be their own devices - "the lavatube is a cheap knock off of the provari" - why can't it just be a lavatube and the provari be a provari? Sure i think the provari is expensive (that's my opinion which some may share and some may not) but as stated you get what you pay for and i paid for a lavatube. I haven't bought a provari i haven't bought a cheap knock off of the provari - I have a lavatube no it does that and the provari doesn't - it's just a lavatube .:2cool:

sobero4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2010
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
does the lavatube work? yes, but it pales in comparison to the provari in both design and function (not to mention build quality). I do have both mods and they both work fine, but my provaris have stood the test of time with no complictions, whereas the lavatube has not (I've had it only for a few weeks). Cosmetically, the lavatube loses to the provari. Functionally, The clicky button on the LT becomes annoying everytime I go to fire it and my fingers are too big for those tiny three buttons near the lcd screen. people compare the LT to the provari because they want to know if they should invest in a provari or not. If you ask me, I say get the provari, but I will say that you are definitely still getting more than your money's worth by going with the LT. All in all, the LT is a solid mod for the cost.

stretchpants

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2011
The Prettiest in NeverNear
I don't think there is a comparison either. Provari is the gold standard of mods.
It's virtually indestructible,I love the weight.It doesn't fall over if you put a stainless steel tank and tip on it.
It always fires and if it doesn't it actually tells you why.The built in safety feature is second to none. It's a VV made in the U.S.A.by a U.S. vendor.
Save your money.A satin provari is $159.00 and it will do what you want it to.Initial one time outlay is about $200.00
We all are one time smokers.I spent at least $150.00 a month on cigarettes and didn't blink an eye. Once you have made the investment in the provari you only have your juice, cartos, and tanks to be concerned with.

bobthesalesclerk

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2010
Pittsburgh
I own a lavatube and change voltages on the fly. The provari is IMO a hassle to change voltages on.

I also never go above 5.3 so the fact that the voltage is wonky after that doesn't affect me in any way(although if i were aa higher voltage vaper that would be a deal breaker on getting something else).

While it does have its flaws its abvery enjoyable device to use. I do really miss my og buzz though :(

Sent from my flashback honeycomb gtablet

Warlordxxx

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2011
Oldham UK
I don't think there is a comparison either. Provari is the gold standard of mods.
It's virtually indestructible,I love the weight.It doesn't fall over if you put a stainless steel tank and tip on it.
It always fires and if it doesn't it actually tells you why.The built in safety feature is second to none. It's a VV made in the U.S.A.by a U.S. vendor.
Save your money.A satin provari is $159.00 and it will do what you want it to.Initial one time outlay is about $200.00
We all are one time smokers.I spent at least $150.00 a month on cigarettes and didn't blink an eye. Once you have made the investment in the provari you only have your juice, cartos, and tanks to be concerned with.

I don't think anyone here is or would dispute any of that - but it's not really relevent to the discussion.

bluegrasslover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Willow Spring, NC
What i'd like to know is why can't they be their own devices - "the lavatube is a cheap knock off of the provari" - why can't it just be a lavatube and the provari be a provari? Sure i think the provari is expensive (that's my opinion which some may share and some may not) but as stated you get what you pay for and i paid for a lavatube. I haven't bought a provari i haven't bought a cheap knock off of the provari - I have a lavatube no it does that and the provari doesn't - it's just a lavatube .:2cool:

Finally someone gets what I am saying. Even this thread has turned into a comparison of the two.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
I think it's only natural to compare them, bluegrass. On their face, they are the same. Both claim to be regulated variable voltage tube mods. The primary difference between them (aside from cosmetic and the voltage selection process) is price. Most of us can't afford to be mod collectors. Some people have been saving up to purchase a Provari, and now here comes the Lavatube on the scene that claims it can do the same thing for less money. They are debating whether or not to get the Lavatube now, or wait and continue to save up for the Provari. Comparison is the nature of the beast, and is one of the reasons I do my reviews the way I do them.

conan

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2011
USA
Finally someone gets what I am saying. Even this thread has turned into a comparison of the two.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think the reason is that they sent a Provari over to China and said "reverse engineer it".
That being said the Lava Tube is a fine device and brings variable voltage to many more people, helping to defeat chemical laced cigarets!

I have both and they are both fantastic Personal Vapers!

L7D4N

Ice Cream!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Really??? I was thinking about getting a buzz pro next, as I am not a fan of the Lavatube. What specifically don't you like? I'll take your answer in a PM if you want, since this isn't really the appropriate forum for it.

Actually I'd like to know as well. I will be buying a Buzz Pro next week and keep the ol' LavaTube as a backup.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Lava Tube
Here is a good review.

what bothers me about this review is that she admits that she likes LR cartos and attys and complains that the LT doesn't go any higher than what it does with the LR stuff. It's obvious that the LT isn't for her.

I still use my 1.7 resurrectors on mine and am quite happy using it at no higher than 4.1. So it does work very well with LR cartos. I understand why people are complaining about the voltage not regulating at higher settings but I don't use mine any higher so it's perfect for me. While I like using the LR cartos, what I didn't like was the unregulated voltage of the 3.7 devices I was using. I was always swapping out batts when the voltage dropped. I like my LT cause it holds the 4.1 voltage till the end. I've had a lot of fun with it and I don't regret buying it.

Not everyone is going to like every PV. I've seen people sell their Provari's in the classys because they like their cheaper fixed voltage devices. I've seen bunches of Reo's sold in the classys. By now, I know what I need and what would work for me. While I'd like to have a Reo just because...well, just because.. I know a fixed voltage bottom feeder wouldn't work for me personally. I've already got a vv bottom feeder and love it.

I'd like to have a Provari because (other than JUST BECAUSE) I'm pretty certain it would work for me also. I'm a little leary of all the button pushing that's involved but everyone says it's a non-issue once you get the hang of it. So, (my birthday is coming up in March) I'm going to start saving for a Provari.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread