Decisions....Which one to choose???

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuvix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Guelph, Canada
Hey Guys! I have a dilemma. Hopefully someone can help me make a decision.

Why should I switch from my Lavatube to a Provari? Is there really such a large difference?

I'm bored with my LT and want something different. The Darwin is really catching my eye, but I don't know the advantages of having variable wattage over variable voltage.

I'm so confused, I hate being on this never-ending quest for the perfect PV.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Lots of people are happy with their lt. I had one and sold it when I got my provari. To me, it was a big difference.

To me, other than maybe its size, it's perfect.

I carry a vv madvapes box mod to work because it is small, easy to shut off, cheap enough that if I break it or lose it I won't be devastated, and works just as good :)

Last edited:

The_Jerkstore

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Because you want a Provari. Lavatube isn't a P.O.S by any means, But if you already had a Provari you wouldn't be wishing you had a Lavatube. If you have the extra money burning a hole in your pocket, get a Provari. Your quest will slow down for a little while. If getting the Provari means you're gonna have to eat Ramen noodles for months, stick with the lavatube. Unless you're using DC cartos, There's not a huge difference in the vape.

stuvix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Guelph, Canada
Because you want a Provari. Lavatube isn't a P.O.S by any means, But if you already had a Provari you wouldn't be wishing you had a Lavatube. If you have the extra money burning a hole in your pocket, get a Provari. Your quest will slow down for a little while. If getting the Provari means you're gonna have to eat Ramen noodles for months, stick with the lavatube. Unless you're using DC cartos, There's not a huge difference in the vape.

The price was the only deciding factor for my LT. I do use DCT's and yes, they don't get the job done well on my LT. I just got a Stardust today and I like it much better, but I don't know how it will hold up over time. And having to use two adapters seems excessive to me.

From the Canadian suppliers I've dealt with, I can't find an alternative for a tank set-up aside from a DCT. Everything I see are LR, and won't they be just as poor as a DC?

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
The price was the only deciding factor for my LT. I do use DCT's and yes, they don't get the job done well on my LT. I just got a Stardust today and I like it much better, but I don't know how it will hold up over time. And having to use two adapters seems excessive to me.

From the Canadian suppliers I've dealt with, I can't find an alternative for a tank set-up aside from a DCT. Everything I see are LR, and won't they be just as poor as a DC?

I use xxl boge 3ohm single coil cartos in my dctanks. As for where to get them.. I just don't know.. I got mine from crystalclearvaping but he's been out of stock for a while now. I keep telling people he's expecting them in any time. I just checked at healthcabin and they are out of stock also. I was able to get in on a co-op a couple weeks ago and I got 50, so I'm set for awhile. I don't like the shorter boges in the shorter tanks.. seems that I have to refill the tank too often.

The provari will run dual coil cartos... remember it has a 3.5 amp limit. The provari reads a 1.5 dc carto as 1.5, even though it is 2- 1.5 coils that is supposed to be equal to 3 (I think) and will give an E1 code if you try to run it higher than 5.2v.. this is right up to the top of it's amp limit. (I know this because I'm using a 1.5 dc carto right now and I took it up to see how high I could go) I know that the E1 code is telling me that I've reached the limit of what the device is designed to do and I, myself would rather the device tell me what it can't do rather than auto adjust and not tell me. It still gives a great vape and 5.2 is as high as I would need to go anyway. But I won't be buying anymore that low if I even buy any more. I bought these dc cartos a while back and I'm trying to use them up. If you get a 2.5 dc carto, that is 2.4 amps and well under the amp ceiling.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
...The provari reads a 1.5 dc carto as 1.5, even though it is 2- 1.5 coils that is supposed to be equal to 3 (I think) and will give an E1 code if you try to run it higher than 5.2v...

It's actually 2 - 3ohm coils because when you wire 2 coils in parallel it halves the resistance...

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Yay Donna that Reo sure looks nice! I'm excited for you to get it. I got my DIY supplies today I may make a batch of unflavored tommorow wish me luck!

On topic I love my provari and am extremely happy I upgraded from the lavatube. Not to confuse you anymore but take a look at the buzz pro as well it's a great unit too

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I'm bored with my LT and want something different. The Darwin is really catching my eye, .

You are bored with a VV Tube mod. Understandable. May I suggest a different form factor?

Boggers Box Mods has a VV Bottom Feeder.. I'm giving some thought to that one myself. there is the notcigs VVPV which I can truthfully say is currently my favorite PV of all time. And though the REO VV Woodvilles have sold out, sometime in the next 5 to 6 weeks, there are about 500 VV REO Grands coming.

Box mods can be very cool and have a lot to offer.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
The Darwin is really catching my eye, but I don't know the advantages of having variable wattage over variable voltage.

I laughed when I saw this because the Darwin looks like it could really catch someones eye.To me that setup doesnt look very sturdy and I'd be worried about snapping the stem or the connector off by accidentally snagging it on something.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I'm not too nuts about the Darwin's form factor, but IMO, variable wattage has it all over VV.
I think of it like a room with a light on a dimmer switch.
With a VV, it's like putting a series of numbers representing the voltage on the dimmer.
With a VW, it's like having a those numbers represent relative brightness.
I don't care what voltage is going to the light bulb. All I care about is how bright it's going to be.
I don't want to figure in the wattage of the bulb, or if it's gotten dimmer over time and needs more voltage to burn as bright as it used to.
If I know a juice is best at 8 watts, I'd prefer not to even think about what atty or carto I'm using at any given moment, or if the resistance has changed over time. I'd rather just grab whatever, stick it on there and know that I'll be vaping that juice at 8 watts, regardless of the carto/atty's resistance or condition.

stuvix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Guelph, Canada
You are bored with a VV Tube mod. Understandable. May I suggest a different form factor?

Boggers Box Mods has a VV Bottom Feeder.. I'm giving some thought to that one myself. there is the notcigs VVPV which I can truthfully say is currently my favorite PV of all time. And though the REO VV Woodvilles have sold out, sometime in the next 5 to 6 weeks, there are about 500 VV REO Grands coming.

Box mods can be very cool and have a lot to offer.

I've heard of these box mods, but never looked into them. Now I have more options to confuse me! Thanks though, they seem pretty cool, I'd just be worried that if/when I drop it I'd chip the wood. But that worry is the same for any PV I think. I think it's going to be a while before I make an actual decision.

stuvix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Guelph, Canada
I laughed when I saw this because the Darwin looks like it could really catch someones eye.To me that setup doesnt look very sturdy and I'd be worried about snapping the stem or the connector off by accidentally snagging it on something.

Haha, well it was more the innards that caught my eye. Whichever PV I choose, it's a stay-at-home PV. So it would be pretty safe on my coffee table or desk.

stuvix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Guelph, Canada
I'm not too nuts about the Darwin's form factor, but IMO, variable wattage has it all over VV.
I think of it like a room with a light on a dimmer switch.
With a VV, it's like putting a series of numbers representing the voltage on the dimmer.
With a VW, it's like having a those numbers represent relative brightness.
I don't care what voltage is going to the light bulb. All I care about is how bright it's going to be.
I don't want to figure in the wattage of the bulb, or if it's gotten dimmer over time and needs more voltage to burn as bright as it used to.
If I know a juice is best at 8 watts, I'd prefer not to even think about what atty or carto I'm using at any given moment, or if the resistance has changed over time. I'd rather just grab whatever, stick it on there and know that I'll be vaping that juice at 8 watts, regardless of the carto/atty's resistance or condition.

Very good analogy, I never really thought of it that way. That's why I want the Darwin, I think variable wattage is the direction I'm heading. I'd love to try it out for myself before investing in one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread