Why do BWB Juices Seem To Improve With Age While Other Supplier's Juices Deteriorate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracker II

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
Well, it's happening again. My latest BWB juices (MT and Blueberry) just keep getting better and better with age. Both are now six weeks old and while the Malty Toffee is leveling out after a big jump in flavor last week, the Blueberry has just now made a big jump in flavor intensity - at 6 weeks!

Now, can someone explain why this happens to my BWB juices but my juices from other vendors often tend to start fading, and sometimes tast downright yucky at around the 6 to 8 week mark? Is it a matter of preservatives or perhaps BWB juices are made in a more sterile environment? It sure has me wondering what Don's secret is.

phorbin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Gamehendge
my first question is: who are the other vendors you deal with? Not all joose is created equal. A lot of vendors pre-mix stuff & sit it on a shelf waiting for someone to order it. So steeping time takes place at their end, not yours. Also, the vendors who tend to just dump some flavourart flavoring into some PG/VG blend, well, there isn't going to be a need to steep that stuff.

Dons juices on the other hand are made to order, so the steeping really doesn't happen until after the mailman stalking has been completed.

Tracker II

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
my first question is: who are the other vendors you deal with?

I doubt that the really big vendors who may have had product sitting on the shelf are worth mentioning, but I will say that all three juices that I ordered from Tasty Vapor started deteriorating at about the 5-6 week mark. The Banana Nut Bread became unvapable at the 5 week mark as it went from tasting great to tasting good to tasting like water over just a two day period.

I didn't really intend to use this thread to trash other juices but since you asked (and if it will help to answer my question) ...

I should note that all my juices are stored and used in a similar manner.

phorbin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Gamehendge
i hear you tracker....i'm not one to trash vendors in a public forum and I avoided naming specific vendors for just that reason. But, if you're storing them all basically the same way and you have juice fading that fast, then there is clearly a problem. Liquid nicotine will oxidize but will maintain its potency up to two years if stored properly, so that isn't the problem. That leaves PG/VG that was old or bad, or poor quality flavorings as your culprits. If you're getting a watery taste I'm going to guess that your PG/VG was bad. If it was the flavorings that went bad you should at least detect the faint flavors of plain PG/VG, but you described it as "watery" so i'm assuming that your base (the PG/VG) went bad and killed the flavoring too, so you just tasted nothing.

Dkrom68

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Backwoods NY USA
Could be the variation of pg/vg being used and the purity of it. The lower the purity the more impurities and water content in it so this could be the culprit in a nutshell. If water is already in something the condensation factor can kick in and only add to it as the bottle gets drained and allows for the extra air to create more. Even though stored at room temp there is still humidity factors that come into play. Think of Cigars and a humidor they use to keep them fresh, it works almost the same principal. Hope this helps and rest assured I will only use the best possible ingredients even if they do cost more. A few pennies saved is not a gain in the long run!!!!!!!!!!

Tracker II

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2011
Illinois
A few pennies saved is not a gain in the long run!!!!!!!!!!

Preach to the choir good sir, preaching to the choir. It's not worth buying cheap if it ends up down the drain. Anyways, thanks much for the insights Don. I suspected that water played a role but didn't understand how and I also didn't consider the PG, VG factors.

When the rubber hits the road, it sure is nice to have a vendor we can have complete and utter confidence in isn't it?

Chornbro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
VA/DC/MD Area
As stated above, most vendors make their juice and then let them sit on a shelf until they are purchased. They do their steeping at the vendor, so they're ready when they get to your door. I think all juices will eventually deteriorate. Becasue BWB is made fresh to-order, the steeping happens while the juice is in the customer's possession. This allows for the (BWB) juice to be in it's prime while with the customer whereas other vendor's juice may eat up some of its prime-vaping time while sitting on the shelf waiting to sell.

LegioX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
I have noticed this as well. I have juices that are only months old from other vendors and they already taste like crap. Either the ingredients degrade or they were pre-mixed...but I find it very interesting. I guess quality ingredients would be the first step towards long lasting juice, in conjunction with well storage.

On a related topic, how long do BWB juices last before they go bad? If they gradually get better...is there a point when they start to gradually decrease back to their original taste, or even worse? Just curious...and I'm thinking anywhere from 1-2 years, but a juice shouldn't exist that long when it tastes so good.

Chornbro

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2011
VA/DC/MD Area
Leg, the juices should be fine up to well over a year and a half, maybe even longer...most good juices aren't around that long.
I will only get enough to keep on hand and get used well before that time anyways.

Im with you, whis... I try to only have about 9-12 months-worth of juice around... itd be a shame for it to go bad while waiting for me to vape it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread