Why did you start vaping?

Why did you start vaping?

• 1. To save money.

• 2. To treat nicotine addiction by stepping down nicotine strength.

• 3. To continue to have a "smoking-like" experience, but with reduced health risks.

• 4. To get sufficient, safer nicotine for a nicotine dependency.

• 5. To circumvent indoor smoking bans.

• 6. To try nicotine/tobacco products for the first time.

• 7. To try fun & tasty flavors.

• 8. To look cool and impress my friends.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sherlynn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2010
IN
I chose number 2 because of health problems. I had been smoking about a pack a day for over 30 years. the past ten years, I was having problems walking and it progressively got worse. Last Dec I went to my Doc in tears begging for him to do something. He finally did the P.A.D. test. The two main blood vessels coming from my aorta were blocked; one at 50% the other at 60% so two weeks later I had an angiogram and now have a stent in my aorta. New I had to quit. For a couple weeks I did the patch but was almost crying everyday (before surgery) After surgery we bought our first Sd kits and I haven't looked back since. Was around my daughter who smokes last weekend and almost got sick. As much as I loved smoking at the time, I knew I wouldn't be around too much longer if I hadn't quit. So vaping has giving me what I needed to get off the analogs and not even miss them anymore. My 13 y/o son is glad to have his mom back. I can walk now and breathe better all because of the ecig and teh stent. If I smoke analogs, I did...simple as that.

V4Lis4me

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
FLORIDA
none of the suggested answers fit my reasoning....

Mine was simple,
my girlfriend hated that i smoke, because of the smell obviously (shes a non smoker)....

and i needed something else, the damn gum did nothing for me!!!

after finding the ecig, we are both happy!

seriously though, this kr808 saved my relationship....... and subsequently, my life as well!

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
I was thinking of quitting smoking for health reasons, but wasn't motivated at all. When I discovered e-cigs, I thought it was the best of both worlds - I could keep the smoking experience, but not expose myself to all of the bad stuff in tobacco cigarettes. It's still why I continue to vape. The cheaper cost and the possibility of using it to eventually quit were also factors in trying them, but I have no intention of quitting any time soon.
So I choose #3.

Ditto ^^

The motivating factor was curiosity, then I researched and started because:
1. I HATE the smell
2. It's gotten ridiculously expensive (esp supporting 2 smokers)
3. the health factor
4. and lastly the annoying family factor ("you promised you'd quit", "it's so bad for you", "do you realize how much you spend") yadayada

Pretty much in that order :)

DonleyDoRight

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2009
Florida Panhandle
www.want2vape.com
Will have to go with #3.
Before July 2009. 35 years, 3 packs a day.
After. ZERO, NADA, NONE!!!

I was having smoking related health issues (Duh) and developed COPD, tried to quit smoking by every means available shy of sewing my mouth shut, but I would probably have found a way around that too.

Boss had a e-cig, and Goggled it and found you guys. (Thank you, Thank you)

Since quitting cigarettes in July of 09 most of the issues I was having, have either gone away or are so diminished that they can be concidered gone.
Have not been tested for lung function or COPD (which I understand is non reversible) But it is better for sure.

Now If I was to break out in song it would be...

I can smell clearly now the smoke is gone (do wap um um um do wap)
My Lung Passages are clear to stayyyyy.
(somebody name that tune)

it's gonna be bright, bright, bright, another smoke free day.

Sorry everyone, but when something just makes you want to sing... well you all know.

VapoMonkey

ECF Veteran
Apr 21, 2010
Queens NYC
I went with #3 as to why I picked up vaping vs analogs. The True answer is a combination of both #1 and #3, but more toward #3. Analogs in NYC are over $9.00 per pack and going thru 1.5 - 2 packs a day was denting my wallet. I honestly enjoy the act of "smoking" but I just want a safer way to smoke, as a side benefit the cost is exponentially lowered. Just throwing my 2cents out there :cool:

tenfour

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Alabama
I stumbled across e-cigs while browsing the web looking for snus reviews. I found a post by Tropical Bob which mentioned e-cigarettes. I was intrigued. It was April 1, 2009 so I was a little skeptical and thought it might be an April Fool's thing. I came to these forums and realized that it was either an extremely elaborate prank, or the real thing. Once i figured out that they were in fact real, I had to have one. I'm all about gadgets and electronic stuff so the idea of an electronic cigarette was amazing to me. That, coupled with the fact that I wanted to kick the cigarette habit, got the ball rolling. I got my first PV sometime very soon thereafter (mid April 2009) and haven't looked back. The rest is history! :)

Dors14

Apr 6, 2010
Arizona
Many moons ago, before the smoking bans, I smoked 3/4 pack a day. Once the smoking bans started, I started smoking more. I chain smoked whenever I was in the car. Once I got to where I was going, I wasn't going to be able to smoke. I became obsessed with when I could have another cigarette. For at least the last eight years, I've been smoking at least a pack and half a day, usually more. I started vaping because I thought if I could "smoke" anywhere, I would stop thinking so much about when I could smoke. I've only been vaping for about a month, but it's starting to work. I have less than 1/2 a pack of analogs a day. And today, I ran errands without thinking about my analogs at all.

yanks21

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
New York
Many moons ago, before the smoking bans, I smoked 3/4 pack a day. Once the smoking bans started, I started smoking more. I chain smoked whenever I was in the car. Once I got to where I was going, I wasn't going to be able to smoke. I became obsessed with when I could have another cigarette. For at least the last eight years, I've been smoking at least a pack and half a day, usually more. I started vaping because I thought if I could "smoke" anywhere, I would stop thinking so much about when I could smoke. I've only been vaping for about a month, but it's starting to work. I have less than 1/2 a pack of analogs a day. And today, I ran errands without thinking about my analogs at all.

Excellent point! I can't tie my increased use to the smoking bans and it's hard to say for sure because I work out of a home office and could smoke whenever I liked BUT I know for a fact I would smoke myself sick before getting on a plane and definitely recall thinking oh, I'd better have another smoke because this movie is 2 hours or I'm going to be in this restaurant for one hour and I would compensate by smoking even more before going to the movie, restaurant, etc.

Can't believe I totally overlooked this!

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
I know for a fact I would smoke myself sick before getting on a plane and definitely recall thinking oh, I'd better have another smoke because this movie is 2 hours or I'm going to be in this restaurant for one hour and I would compensate by smoking even more before going to the movie, restaurant, etc.

Oh I hear y'all on those... I would even do that before going into the gym for a session of cardio class & weights!! 8-o Ya know how 'they' say to DO things like exercise when you're trying to quit smoking, because 'surely' there won't be some strong association there with smoking?? Well nope, not this weirdo! :p I'd even suck down a couple extras right before breaking into a long jog (and have a couple stashed for afterward!! :oops:)

After watching my mother's decline with emphysema over the last 25 years (breathlessness, repeated bouts of bronchitis/pneumonia, and those horrific coughing spells)...I began to experience the same symptoms on a smaller scale.

I don't want to die yet, but I know that my addiction was preventing me from quitting cold turkey, too.

This was an act of survival.

(And while I know there is no hope for reversal for my mother, I'm hoping to get her started...and perhaps at least lessen the damage analogs are causing her.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread