Why did you start vaping?

Why did you start vaping?

• 1. To save money.

• 2. To treat nicotine addiction by stepping down nicotine strength.

• 3. To continue to have a "smoking-like" experience, but with reduced health risks.

• 4. To get sufficient, safer nicotine for a nicotine dependency.

• 5. To circumvent indoor smoking bans.

• 6. To try nicotine/tobacco products for the first time.

• 7. To try fun & tasty flavors.

• 8. To look cool and impress my friends.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suddenly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2009
The Secret Garden
I knew my lungs were getting worse and worse but did not want to stop smoking, so I googled HOW TO QUIT SMOKING WHEN YOU DON'T WANT TO?? I didn't figure I would get too many good answers from that question. I was very wrong! The answer came up buy e-cigs, and I felt as if I had a religious moment. Well not really, but It was pretty close I could actually still do what I wanted to with less health risks. Don't get lucky like that very often!!
No doubt in my mind #3.

Last edited:

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
I use ecigs because my fiance has asthma. Every time I walked in the door she would have to run for the inhaler because of the cigarette smell. I tried to quit from cold turkey (9 months for the longest quit time) to every kind of nicotine product (like the nicotine gum) out there including snuff. I always went back to smoking.

Ecigs allow me to get my nicotine the same way as smoking but without the harmful tar or smoke associated with it (no smell or lingering particles). I'm not saying its safer, but my fiance doesn't have to run for an inhaler when I'm around anymore, thanks to ecigs. She doesn't deserve to suffer because my bad habit. So I must say Ecigs saved our relationship in a way and I'm thankful for it.

So it would be #3 for sure....:)

woops I went back to check my answer and I clicked on number 4 8-o.
Sorry about that it should be number 3...:cry:

Last edited:

Jaganic_Solitude

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Washington, NJ, USA
www.blogtv.com
I started vaping because for various reasons: I was FED UP with the taste of tobacco. I was a big fan of Marboro 27s, but then it got bland to me. Then after they banned the sales of clove cigarettes, which are the ONLY analogs I will smoke to this day, I was at a complete lost. Another reason was my daughter. I smelt like an ash tray and she didn't like the smell. Though she is only 16 months old, I didn't want her to get sick from the second hand smoke (I never smoked in front of her for the record). Another was my bedroom. It smelt bad and the curtains were starting to turn from white to yellowish. It reminded me of my uncle's room, which reeked of Newports. Another reason was I do not want to yellow my teeth...though I drink coffee like a fiend! The last and BIGGEST reason is that my best friend introduced me to vaping, which became a gateway to Heaven for me. If it wasn't for him, I'd probably be chewing tobacco! >.<

For me- I have wanted to quit smoking for years for health reasons- but I have a hubby who is a heavier smoker than I am and quite honestly- I like the mechanics of smoking. It's very- very hard for me to stop when he is just smoking away and has no intention of quitting and I miss it. This is the best of both worlds- I get to still feel like I am still smoking- and he gets to smell like the ashtray without me. :p I am actually going to order a box of 36's once stock gets way replenished for him to try- maybe I can convert him.

savagemyth

ECF Veteran
For me, I smoked 2 packs a day, either while driving big trucks (makes the time go by fast) or when home DJing (chain smoking, drinking, etc.) and found myself getting treated with bronchitis every 45 days. I tried quitting with a PV, but just not enough nicotine delivery for that. So I quit successfully with Chantix then 3 weeks later, missed not the nicotine but just having something to break up the day. I missed the smoking experience. Tried vaping again and really enjoy it now with the reduced nicotine and all the fun flavors. I don't have those "gotta-get-out-of-bed-and-have-one" feelings anymore because the peaks and valleys aren't as big. My addiction is now small and I feel like i'm in control of it, not the other way around.

Now, I'm healthy, clothes don't smell, I've got money in my pocket and don't have the monkey anymore. I can go out and have a few drinks without the desire for an analog. To me that proves i've made the right decision. And I can puff on the PV while out and get the same experience, so i'm not missing anything.

The best part is that i'm a scuba diver and lung function and capacity changes everything. As a smoker over 40, I found myself ineligible for expeditions, and other things like cave diving would be off limits. Now, I can resume doing the things I love without the fear of putting myself or others at risk due to compromised lung function. I can metabolize oxygen and nitrogen correctly now and won't have to worry so much about decompression sickness and heart function. Vaping makes 100% sense to anyone that dives. This summer i'll be able to ride my bicycle again, which hasn't been any fun for years as a heavy smoker. And i'll be diving again.

As a bonus, my wife says I "taste better" lol if you know what I mean.

MalabarFront

Feb 5, 2010
Virginia
You guys are talking about why you BOUGHT an ecig.

Why did you start vaping regularly? Use that as your answer.

Actually, that's sort of a different question. I bought an e-cig / started vaping with the intention of using it as a supplement to smoking analogs - something to let me get my nicotine despite the complete ban on smoking in bars and restaurants. I didn't really intend to vape regularly, per se.

I started vaping regularly in place of analogs once I realized that vaping was functioning as a complete replacement for analogs (for me at least) that was less dangerous, less expensive and kept me from being branded with the smell of the smoker.

AKs0n-

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2010
New Jersey - Passaic County
I answered number 3 but I really coulda chosen number 2 and my answer woulda been just as honest. I had hopes of 'quiting' by becoming a person who vapes instead of smoking. And when I say 'quiting' I mean.... No more nicotine whatsoever.

It's only cause of the fact that HV vaping is so enjoyable that i'll continue to vape for the for-see-able future.

But the 'End Result' ...whenever that is..... will definitely be the end of all nicotine consumption for me.
Also since a pack of smokes are $7.50 & up here in NJ and ofc cigarettes taste god awful......
Numbers 1 & 7 also work for me!~ :)

Number 8 .....i'm just hoping is a reality ...as I would love to be the person who got other smokers hooked on vaping instead of killing themselves.
' I'm not only a vaper... but a vaping.. streets representative. ' =P

Last edited:

Kylar

Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I started vaping to be able to get off my nicotine dependency in a healthier fashion and also for my wife and sons sake. They both have very bad asthma and every time I lit up, they had to leave the room because they would have an attack. So far I have been vaping for a month and I'm down to 16mg AND only vaping 3-4 times a day. I feel so much better and my family is very proud of me.

debook

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
CO
I vape becuase it is UberCool and I love that smokers come up to me in a bar and ask about the funny cig with the LED...a dozen people are adding years to their lives because of their curiosity.

I also vape because big tobacco companies no longer have a hold on me, nor pharmaceutical or any other form of corporate lobbying BS. I have a myriad of choices of American made pure liquids I can vape without fear of deathly levels of toxins and carcinogens that will kill me before my daughter graduates high school.

But really I vape because I wanted so badly to get off analogs but couldn't until I vaped, despite all the NRTs I tried. I knew the health risks but still smoked until e-cigs found me. Now I am feeling so much better and adding years to my life as I type this.

jimk55

Jan 10, 2010
Canada
The biggest reason for me to try e-cigs was the acceptance that I will probably always be addicted to nicotine. That's after 40 years of smoking analogs. I tried everything there was to quit smoking with only short term results. The Champex ( that's what it's called in Canada ) made me a raving lunatic with the dreams, nausea, and horniness ( which my wife never complained about) . I ended back on analogs 3 months later.
I started e-cigs in on January 06, 2010 had my last analog on Jan. 07 and have not had another one since. I Vape about 2 -3 carts a day, I use the 2 piece V4L PV, and have no cravings, other than for another vape. I particularly like that my clothes don't stink, I have way more energy, and have a positive outlook gained from increased exercise and the fact that I have actually found a safe way to get a nicotine fix without the carcinogens in a regular cigarette. I still worry that some where down the road we will find out that e-cigs have side effects that may be harmful but for now I have to think that feeling this good must be a good thing compared to the fear of getting the big "C" diagnosis.

bddesign

Feb 28, 2010
I'm in VA and smoked an off brand and they cost $4/50 per pack. I know that is a lot less than what some people pay, but it is still too much.>>>Now the money I am saving on analogs goes to eating out.
~A

so your not really saving much money because now your just replacing the costs of tobacco with food. maybe if your goal is to save money, just eat at home and eat out once a week or so. :?:

THELEGACYMAN

Jan 9, 2010
new york
I vape because analogs got too expensive. They raised taxes on them more times than I can count. I'm in VA and smoked an off brand and they cost $4/50 per pack. I know that is a lot less than what some people pay, but it is still too much.

I was very frustrated that most places won't let you smoke anymore. I had quit going out to dinner. How much fun is a fancy meal if end it by jonesing? Now the money I am saving on analogs goes to eating out.

Then again, maybe you shouldn't tell them either of those, because it shows that taxing and bannning is effective in getting people to quit smoking. We don't want to encourage them. LOL Of course it only worked for me in public. I still smoke at home, but it is 75% less than I used to.

~A

I see I am not the only one that got tired of the taxing me into space.
I switched right after the anologs went to $7.75 and to my surprise I stoped smoking analogs.
In the first week I went from a pack a day to 4 a day the 8th and 9th
day I was tobacco free. WOW I was not even expecting to stop all together.
Been taabacco free since jan 12th 2010

(So) Jersey Girl

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
South Jersey
I went with #1, although #5 came in a close second. I figured I could save a bundle over the price of analogs (@ $7+ per pack here in NJ) by switching to e-cigs and I could use them indoors where smoking was banned (including my own house!). I never intended to give up "smoking" per se, in fact, I had given up any notion that I could possibly ever quit after many failed attempts. Lo and behold, I haven't had a cigarette in over 2 weeks and haven't even thought about having one. So, by accident, I am reaping all the other benefits of not smoking without the negative consequences.

I haven't started yet (ordered and waiting for it to arrive) but I would say #3 or #4. For me the decision came after I realized that fire safe cigarettes were making me feel really sick (still are). Need to try something else without having to give up nicotine, so here's hoping it works. This site has been great and if it wasn't for the things I've read here I wouldn't have made the decision to try e-cigs at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread