Why did you start vaping?

Why did you start vaping?

• 1. To save money.

• 2. To treat nicotine addiction by stepping down nicotine strength.

• 3. To continue to have a "smoking-like" experience, but with reduced health risks.

• 4. To get sufficient, safer nicotine for a nicotine dependency.

• 5. To circumvent indoor smoking bans.

• 6. To try nicotine/tobacco products for the first time.

• 7. To try fun & tasty flavors.

• 8. To look cool and impress my friends.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Considering the governments in several countries want to tell us a WHY we vape and regulate ecigs on what they THINK, we need to show them the truth.

Please choose the answer which most closely states PRIMARILY (#1 reason out of all) why you started to vape. What motivated you most to convert or try ecigs?

But please tell the TRUTH, not what you think people want to hear. We do not want to skew the results one way or another. Let it play out naturally! Maybe we'll be surprised at the results, maybe it'll be just what we expected.

Please answer seriously. This is another important survey to show people who just don't get it and protect your right to vape!!

NOTE: If you bought it as a smoking cessation device (NRT) - meaning trying to quit smoking and nicotine altogether, your answer would be #2.

If you weren't intending to quit smoking, but just liked that ecigs weren't as bad as tobacco cigarettes, your answer would be #3.

If you need the nicotine for reasons other than just being addicted (ie. it basically is helping with concentration, panic attacks, depression, etc) your answer would be #4.

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I was thinking of quitting smoking for health reasons, but wasn't motivated at all. When I discovered e-cigs, I thought it was the best of both worlds - I could keep the smoking experience, but not expose myself to all of the bad stuff in tobacco cigarettes. It's still why I continue to vape. The cheaper cost and the possibility of using it to eventually quit were also factors in trying them, but I have no intention of quitting any time soon. I also don't have any particular need for nicotine to function - it just made it harder to quit tobacco.

So I choose #3.

Last edited:

angelique510

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I vape because analogs got too expensive. They raised taxes on them more times than I can count. I'm in VA and smoked an off brand and they cost $4/50 per pack. I know that is a lot less than what some people pay, but it is still too much.

I was very frustrated that most places won't let you smoke anymore. I had quit going out to dinner. How much fun is a fancy meal if end it by jonesing? Now the money I am saving on analogs goes to eating out.

Then again, maybe you shouldn't tell them either of those, because it shows that taxing and bannning is effective in getting people to quit smoking. We don't want to encourage them. LOL Of course it only worked for me in public. I still smoke at home, but it is 75% less than I used to.

~A

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I vape because analogs got too expensive.

Then again, maybe you shouldn't tell them either of those, because it shows that taxing and bannning is effective in getting people to quit smoking. We don't want to encourage them. LOL Of course it only worked for me in public. I still smoke at home, but it is 75% less than I used to.

~A

Go ahead and answer the poll truthfully. It's important we don't skew the results by lying. I don't think you'll be in the majority anyhow.

spaky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Making cement boots
This is one I'm going to have to really think about. It's between 1, 3, and 7 for me. I love smoking experience, I love saving the money I do, and I really love all my flavors. I honestly don't know how much I would vape if it weren't for all my delicious flavors. Honestly anymore I think I'm addicted to the flavors more so than the nicotine after 3 1/2 months:)

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
This is one I'm going to have to really think about. It's between 1, 3, and 7 for me. I love smoking experience, I love saving the money I do, and I really love all my flavors. I honestly don't know how much I would vape if it weren't for all my delicious flavors. Honestly anymore I think I'm addicted to the flavors more so than the nicotine after 3 1/2 months:)
Hmmm...that could be a problem for a lot of people and make observers think that people's answers are why they started vaping. I doubt the flavors are what motivated most people to start vaping, lol! I changed it to ask why you started vaping.

Last edited:

WonderfulMe

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Northern California
I chose three. Not for my health originally, but my daughter's. I started vaping only in my car and when out with my daughter because I didn't want to smoke around her anymore. Five might apply a little though, cause it was the ban on smoking with kids in the car that made me start being aware of my smoking around my daughter.

spaky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Making cement boots
Hmmm...that could be a problem for a lot of people and make observers think that people's answers are why they started vaping. I doubt the flavors are what motivated most people to start vaping, lol! I changed it to ask why you started vaping.
OK that makes it easier. Now it's down to 1 and 3 for me. I had quit smoking last January using the patch and stayed off of analogs until August. Then I fell right back into my 1 1/2 to 2 pack a day habit. I was sick of spending the money I was everyday, but loved the smoking experience so much, but hated the health complications that came with it. The worst was when I got sick and could hardly breathe without my chest hurting like it was going to cave in, but I still managed to smoke at least a pack a day.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
OK that makes it easier. Now it's down to 1 and 3 for me. I had quit smoking last January using the patch and stayed off of analogs until August. Then I fell right back into my 1 1/2 to 2 pack a day habit. I was sick of spending the money I was everyday, but loved the smoking experience so much, but hated the health complications that came with it. The worst was when I got sick and could hardly breathe without my chest hurting like it was going to cave in, but I still managed to smoke at least a pack a day.
Sounds most like #3 to me over #1 then. You wanted to smoke again and the cost didn't stop you from starting up again. If you had just wanted to quit nicotine, you would have gone back on the patch. Unless you intended to use it instead of the patch, then it would be #2.

spaky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2009
Making cement boots
Sounds most like #3 to me over #1 then. You wanted to smoke again and the cost didn't stop you from starting up again. If you had just wanted to quit nicotine, you would have gone back on the patch. Unless you intended to use it instead of the patch, then it would be #2.
Yes after thinking about it you are right on this. Had it not been for the chest pains I'm really not sure if I would have gotten into the PVs. I'm just really glad and lucky I found them when I did.

One of the things that I feel will keep me off the analogs is that about a month and a half into using my PV I was out drunk with a few of my buddies and one of them had my old brand, Marlboro Mediums, and I asked to try one. I have to admit I thought it tasted great, but gave it back to him after 3 drags. Then for the next 3-4 days I had that horrible pain in my chest again. Had I not found the PVs there's no telling what kind of problems I could have been creating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread