Status
Not open for further replies.

69CamaroSS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Upstate, SC, USA
I think that would only work if you were holding it at arm's length while twirling on your toes in a tutu.

LOL. My (not so) little experiment does actually aerate the juice SO much that it'll temporarily turn a clear juice milk-white with tiny air bubbles. I like to think that it helps release any volitale chemicals (alcohols, perfumes, etc) that can then be expressed with a squeeze of the bottle ("burping"). Besides, who doesn't like a good excuse to play with power tools....more power!! Aah, Aah Aah!

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Downloading Halt and Catch Fire, going to watch, will stop back in about an hour to see what y'all think about White Cloud's "scientific proof" that steeping is WRONG. By the way, just want to brag a little, won the weekly Vapor Bomb contest for 30 ml of free juice, third contest I won here at ECF, man you guys make me feel lucky, too bad I can't be this lucky in the rest of my life, lol.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
If I have to steep it, I don't keep it. I go through joose/e-liquid too fast to wait (aka 'patience my azz')...
Waiting.gif

Besides, I DIY and can make adjustments as needed for my immediate vaping enjoyment.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
They seem to be getting technical that e-juice doesn't need to steep because there are no solids in it (like tea leaves and water) but steeping is just a term not meant to be taken literally, just slang used in the vaping community, right?

They can get technical all they want but that can't change the fact that there are enzymes present particularly in NET's , naturally extracted tobacco , from the tobacco plant as well as the extraction process itself that do their work over a period of time and it's NET's that tend to benefit most from steeping . I am a professional chef and a homebrewer , I'm familiar with enzymatic action in aging meats and mashing grains , anybody that doubts this should think of the comparison between a supermarket steak and a dry aged steak at a steak house , that's a prime example of enzymes at work over a period of time . White Cloud is grasping at straws and trying to prey on the uneducated .

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Well it seems to me those who offer limited flavors and limited product styles would love to suck up to the FDA because submitting five products for government approval is must less costly than a company that offers fifty flavors. So if the traditions of the companies that can offer a larger variety of selections can be debunked, even if ineffectively, so much the better for them. Wouldn't you say?

CKCalmer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2014
My mancave
"Brad Bortone is an writer and editor, who brings 12+ years of experience to the table."

Just goes to show that long experience doesn't guarantee an increase in knowledge. I've known people with less than a year's experience who could fully master a subject in which another with over a decade of experience could barely attain a basic understanding. Unless Brad Bortone is lying in his article and knows considerably more than he demonstrates regarding the properties of e-liquid, then he's one of the latter.

I've only been vaping for four months and I've learned by my own hand several aspects regarding the nature of e-liquid which defy several points in the article. In my experience, some e-liquids need no steeping time, meaning that I detect no change in flavor between the day I receive them and up to four weeks later. Others absolutely do change their nature after steeping.

There are several factors to consider, one of which is how old the e-liquids are when you receive them. MBV, for instance, makes theirs the day you order them, so I've learned that more of their flavors benefit from steeping compared to Halo flavors I've used, for instance. Thankfully, my very favorite flavor - Black Ice by MBV - tastes the same to me the day I receive it as it does up to a month later. I didn't pick it as my favorite just because it's one that doesn't need steeping. It was just a happy accident that it worked out that way.

If Brad Bortone didn't learn even the very basic fact that there are some quite popular flavors of e-liquid that most certainly do change their flavor after steeping, then he is really not paying attention. Or he hasn't tried enough of a variety of e-liquids to be able to knowledgeably comment on the matter.

You can't scoop a glassful of ocean water and, seeing no fish in it, surmise that there must be no fish in the ocean, can you?

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Time changes the flavor of some juices. Right or wrong, people call this steeping.

There is nothing scientific about the White Cloud claim, it's just their opinion and it is in my opinion wrong.

I make my own juices and I mix for immediate use. That's just how I like to do it. I mix about 40 ml at a time and use it in a few weeks. OTOH, if I were making juice to sell, I would have to take flavor change over time into account because I would want people to have repeatability with my juices. Some flavors don't change much and some do. Sometimes the change is good and sometimes it's bad. All these factors have to be taken into account.

For anyone to say all juices don't change flavor over time indicates to me a basic lack of knowledge about juice.

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx
So what do you think?

They don't mix juice which is immediately sold to a customer. They mix juice in a factory of some sort, then it gets put in a carto, stored in a warehouse, eventually sold and shipped, etc. For practical purposes, every bit of juice they sell has time to steep.

Anyone that cooks understand that some things, like chili or gumbo, take some time for the flavors to meld together. It's not always necessary, but for some things, it certainly helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread