White Cloud Claims to "debunk" Steeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
So when I first started vaping, like a lot of people, I started with cigalikes. Since the store bought ones were too pricey I took advantage of a sale White Cloud was having on their Fling Minis, a buck a piece, and ended up buying about seventy of them, most of which still sit in a drawer collecting dust. Once I discovered tanks and drippers and mods and you name it, I had no need for the cigalikes, and along with the fact that I got ripped off on my final order of Fling Minis and received 50 puff trial samplers instead, I never looked back at White Cloud. But I'm still on their mailing list.

So today I get an email with some links to their blog. One of the links was to this article in which they claim they have debunked the "myth" of steeping.

Clearing the Air About E-Liquid

Now I've been a skeptic of steeping myself, but over time I've come to realize that I've been about half right and half wrong about steeping. I actually did have one juice that I thought was a total loser develop its flavor after a month of steeping, and I find most juices that are made to order require at least a day or two to settle.

So what do you think? Is White Cloud the beginning and ending of the discussion or are they just trying to peddle their pre-filled cartos, spouting nonsense that has nothing to do with actual bottles of e-juice??

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
While the term "steeping" might not be accurate, I do think that letting the flavoring meld and disperse evenly throughout the juice does help. I'll use the example of cooking a gumbo. When you cook a gumbo, its good right out of the pot, but the next day after all of the flavors have had time to mix together it's even better.

They seem to be getting technical that e-juice doesn't need to steep because there are no solids in it (like tea leaves and water) but steeping is just a term not meant to be taken literally, just slang used in the vaping community, right?

Krieger

May 13, 2014
Bossier City, LA
They seem to be getting technical that e-juice doesn't need to steep because there are no solids in it (like tea leaves and water) but steeping is just a term not meant to be taken literally, just slang used in the vaping community, right?

That's the way I look at it is as a slang term. I guess the more literal meaning would be letting the flavors mix together.

Archon

Apr 12, 2014
California, USA
Yeah I think the term "steeping" is more slang than anything, but if they think liquids can't change flavor over time, they're wrong. I've had dozens of liquids, and while not every juice needs steeping, there are many that do get better with time.

I've taken fresh liquids and vaped them, then vaped them 2 or 3 weeks later on the exact same setup and build and tasted the difference.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
That's the way I look at it is as a slang term. I guess the more literal meaning would be letting the flavors mix together.

It really seems they are addressing a dumbed down audience that they assume wouldn't know that when people say they "steep" their juice they don't literally mean a solid soaking in liquid like the true definition of steeping, yet they claim that point is scientific fact debunking the myth of steeping. Also they are talking primarily about their own products even though they claim to universally debunk the "myth" of steeping. Just because their products don't necessarily need steeping doesn't mean more complex products don't need it, but they seem to be oblivious to that.

Bontasia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2014
Texas
Yeah someone starting using the term "steeping" and it caught on so that's what we say. I don't especially care for the term any more than I do for "e-cigarette" but it gets the point across and people understand it.

As far as that site, I didn't see anything that backed up their claim. Just "Our scientists said so". Their "scientist" could be some guy named Steve who they hired offa Craigslist and they gave him a white lab coat and a pair of glasses and said "look smart".

I've absolutely had e-liquid get better after sitting a few weeks. And I've had some that stayed the same. I don't know exactly why, but "steeping" has made an improvement in some. Plus it gives me a little ritual to follow when I shake them every day and that pleases my OCD monster. :)

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Yeah someone starting using the term "steeping" and it caught on so that's what we say. I don't especially care for the term any more than I do for "e-cigarette" but it gets the point across and people understand it.

As far as that site, I didn't see anything that backed up their claim. Just "Our scientists said so". Their "scientist" could be some guy named Steve who they hired offa Craigslist and they gave him a white lab coat and a pair of glasses and said "look smart".

I've absolutely had e-liquid get better after sitting a few weeks. And I've had some that stayed the same. I don't know exactly why, but "steeping" has made an improvement in some. Plus it gives me a little ritual to follow when I shake them every day and that pleases my OCD monster. :)

Ooops, this may explain a lot. I was continuing to browse their blog and found this tid bit:

"We believe that the ingredient submission and new product review process detailed in the FDA’s Deeming Regulations are a positive step . . . "

It could be they are taking up camp against the broader e-cig industry, and debunking steeping is their way of separating themselves in preparation for the big FDA suck up.

Krieger

May 13, 2014
Bossier City, LA
It really seems they are addressing a dumbed down audience that they assume wouldn't know that when people say they "steep" their juice they don't literally mean a solid soaking in liquid like the true definition of steeping, yet they claim that point is scientific fact debunking the myth of steeping. Also they are talking primarily about their own products even though they claim to universally debunk the "myth" of steeping. Just because their products don't necessarily need steeping doesn't mean more complex products don't need it, but they seem to be oblivious to that.

Like was mentioned earlier, I think they are really trying to promote their cigalikes.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Well you know, because vanilla is such a complex flavor. LOL

I actually have a vanilla cupcake from the Vape Room that's a tad complex, and I can honestly say I've tried White Cloud's vanilla (eh, just vanilla but at something like 52 mg). Vape Room. Vape Room. Vape Room all the way. LOL.

Last edited:

69CamaroSS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2014
Upstate, SC, USA
Many different camps (and threads) on this topic. Whether "steeping" truly helps, heating the juice, burping air out of the bottles, shaking them daily, ultrasonic machines, crock-pots, hot water soaks something like this: image.jpg (I was bored and feeling "creative" with 3000 strokes/min!) will forever be unprovable- as taste is purely subjective!:p
Maybe "steeping" does induce some chemical change in ejuice. Maybe it's psychosomatic. Placebo effect? Maybe people like to feel empowered to affect their products after purchasing them when some aren't to their liking. Maybe people like to play with their juice! ;) Maybe your taste buds change over the amount of time you steep. Maybe you had a different drink or food prior. Personally, I think it's a combination of some or all of the above!! Bottom line is simple, do what makes you enjoy vaping!! :vapor:

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Many different camps (and threads) on this topic. Whether "steeping" truly helps, heating the juice, burping air out of the bottles, shaking them daily, ultrasonic machines, crock-pots, hot water soaks something like this: View attachment 337857 (I was bored and feeling "creative" with 3000 strokes/min!) will forever be unprovable- as taste is purely subjective!

I think that would only work if you were holding it at arm's length while twirling on your toes in a tutu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread