What pg/vg ratio do you prefer & why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
I vape 100% VG. I have no allergy/sensitivity to PG, I simply cannot stand the taste. To me, it has this cloying artificial aftertaste that just does not go away.

Interesting that you mention that in regard to PG. I find the same thing, even though others notice an artificial sweetness of VG. You and I have similar taste buds, don't we?

I like high VG as well (100% is ideal for me--although I will occasionally vape up to 30%PG if the particular juice is "worth" it to me). Although I do have a sensitivity to PG (slight--not life threatening allergy or anything). Even if I didn't have the sensitivity, I do find an odd aftertaste in PG, too. I also do not like TH, so max VG takes care of that issue as well.

Lookingglass

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2013
USA
I started out on 50/50 but my mouth got SO dry (even upping my water intake, and I wasn't a heavy smoker...just up to a few a day), and my chest kind of hurt. I started getting Max VG (up to 80%) or 100% VG and my symptoms cleared up. Now I can really taste the difference. PG tastes kind of chemically clean and fresh, while VG is more creamy to me.

Last edited:

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
I've noticed a seeming trend among a lot of ECFers away from higher PG, and even toward 100% VG (even for those without a PG sensitivity).

Myself, I started out at 80/20 pg/vg, but have for a couple of years now settled in most happily at 70/30 pg/vg (although "MY" go-to vendor lists the ratios backwards, i.e. "vg/pg" LOL).

Any higher VG seems to make me queasy, and also makes my chest feel heavy. :( I also don't like the taste of VG, although that may be more a matter of WHICH VG a vendor uses (and same for the PG) than the amount. (So many, many vendors' bases just taste blecccch to me!)

I love flavor, and 70%PG carries flavors brilliantly, while 30% VG still produces alarming amounts of vapor! :D

AnnieP65

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
PA, USA
Depends on what the juice is for me. For dessert vapes, I like a higher VG. Maybe something like VG-70/PG-30. It gives a dessert juice a 'rich' flavor for me. For all other categories, I generally get 50/50. When I first started vaping I got a higher PG content. But I soon realized that not only did this give me poor vapor production, it also gave me an annoying film in my throat which made me constantly clear my throat(ahem!) all day and night. Also gave me a sore throat, though that may have been dehydration from the higher percentage.

Jay--I am DYING to know what PG tastes like to you!

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
probably 60-70% pg on shop bought because it tastes better

and around 50-100%vg on diy juice because I can add more flavour to make up for loss of flavour in having low pg, I cant stand vaping and having hardly any cloud, its a psychological thing

I agree with this 100%. My favorite store-bought juice's 'preferred ratio' was 70/30 and I loved it. I ordered some recently in 50/50 and it's definitely very muted in flavor and the 'strawberry' component was almost gone. In fact, I wouldn't have recognized it as the same juice. (Yes, I know all about steeping, etc. etc.) Another thing I noticed was that the 70/30 version turned a definite pink after a month or so. The 50/50 version was much paler after the same amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread