Status
Not open for further replies.

frazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
Hello all,

I have quit smoking in the past (haven't we all)...lol..but seriously, I was smoke free for about 4 years.. until my divorce. Anyways, although I was smoke free, I put on a huge amount of weight... so my question is as follows:

For those of you that have given up the analogs in favor of vaping, have you put on any weight? I know there is talk on these boards of the actual nicotine received from e-smoking and dont' want to gain a ton of weight because I am trying to fill "the void" with food instead of nicotine..

Thanks for any input.
Frazz

frazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
I've actually lost weight because instead of snacking, I tend to vape :). Other than about 1 week a month when chocolate is a necessity, if I want something sweet I vape something sweet :).

Thanks, It took me a long time to get that weight off.. I dont' want to end up having to do that again.. :)

skippy

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2009
Ft Lauderdale
Gain weight? Oh yeah! I put on 18 lbs in a matter of weeks, that was almost 1 yr ago and I'm still trying to get it off. I think the only thing that was keeping my metabolism going was the cigarettes. But I feel better, no longer have that smokers cough, and I don't reek of stale smoke so I guess a little weight gain is worth it.

frazz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
Rhode Island
Gain weight? Oh yeah! I put on 18 lbs in a matter of weeks, that was almost 1 yr ago and I'm still trying to get it off. I think the only thing that was keeping my metabolism going was the cigarettes. But I feel better, no longer have that smokers cough, and I don't reek of stale smoke so I guess a little weight gain is worth it.

I was wondering that too, if cigarettes raise the metabolism and if vaping would do the same? I really don't wanna go to the gym....lol.

So any input, does vaping raise the metaboism... .anyone...anyone..beuller?

Enigma32

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Melbourne, FL
www.eliquiddepot.com
I did the opposite, I was obese most of my life (~370+lbs) and to lose the weight I "filled the void" of not eating with smoking. My low range after was 185-195lb@6'3, maintenance was around 208.

I too had an ex mess that shot me up to the 260's when she ruined my life, but around the time I finally gained control back I had also started vaping. As I've said elsewhere here I had no intention of quitting nicotine itself because of the appetite control benefits. I did think as well that vaping wouldn't do the trick, but I still shed the weight. Though I'm too busy right now to do what it took to get to 190 again, I'm atleast in the 220's.

Last edited:

g123456e

Jan 20, 2010
Kentucky
Frazz, I too have actually lost a little weight (been vaping and no analogs for 8 weeks) because as we all know, smoking is always best after eating (or with a cocktail) and instead of eating that bite of chocolate, a few chips or whatever throughout the day when I wanted a cigarette anyway but wanted it to taste it's best, I vape german chocolate cake or caramel popcorn and it satisfies both. Good luck!

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
I think I've lost a few pounds from vaping. I am now just over three months vaping and completely off analogs for one month. Haven't weighed myself but I've dropped almost a full pant size.

I wonder how many women started smoking as a teen to stay thin or loose weight (me) and how many put off smoking in fear of gaining weight (me again) When I hit mid forties, the pounds came on regardless and I was really ready to quit. Vaping truly was a life saver and while I still crave the analogs, especially in the morning, I am a much happier, nicer and healthier ex-smoker and so far I am not getting fat! Because I don't need to use food to address the hand to mouth habit, I am actually finding it easier to eat healthier now than I have in a long time.

Bellasin

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2009
Roscommon, MI
So far Ive gained 30lbs, truly eat less than I ever have in my life, and feel so tired all the time that if analogs werent so expensive I would be back on them in a heartbeat, just to feel like I did 7 mos ago. Snus/stonewalls helped for about a month but my body cant be fooled. I keep wondering how many years it takes the human body to revert back to remembering how it functioned before it ever had to metabolise analogs. The funny thinng is I never once have missed cigs, Ive never craved smoking after I started ecigs.

crand

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
It's been 20 months since I had my last cigarette. First 3 months no weight gain, next 11 months however... 30lbs.
I've been vaping 0nic now for the last 10 months and it's only been in the last 90 days or so that the extra pounds have started to come off.
Doctor told me when I first quit that it wouldn't be unusual to have a messed up metabolism for 18 months or more.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
The really valid test on inhaling PG was indeed done on monkeys in the early 40s (replicated many times since then) and weight gain was the only noted side effect.

It is a known fact that smoking a single cigarette raises the metabolism, thus burning calories and keeping weight gain down a bit. Nothing in e-cig testing has shown a similar effect.

I strongly suggest that anyone quitting cigarettes find other means of raising the metabolism because weight gain for most people is simply not desirable. Research ways to boost metabolism on Google.

glowgirl

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
A, A
I have lost six pounds since starting vaping (only been vaping two months). However when I first quit smoking I found that I had to exercise to keep my weight down and I too hate the gym. My solution was to do mini workouts through the day. Five or ten minutes every few hours kept my metabolism on a cigarette smoking type of schedule and helped me with the metabolic slow down we all get when we quit. The key to exercising everyday is to make it fit your life. For me five or ten minutes here or there worked better then facing a hour at the gym.......

Enigma32

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Melbourne, FL
www.eliquiddepot.com
The really valid test on inhaling PG was indeed done on monkeys in the early 40s (replicated many times since then) and weight gain was the only noted side effect.

It is a known fact that smoking a single cigarette raises the metabolism, thus burning calories and keeping weight gain down a bit. Nothing in e-cig testing has shown a similar effect.

I strongly suggest that anyone quitting cigarettes find other means of raising the metabolism because weight gain for most people is simply not desirable. Research ways to boost metabolism on Google.

Caffeine is also great at this, but if you're relying on non-artificially sweetened drinks for all your caffeine it contradicts it.

The main ingredient in most overpriced weightloss pills is caffeine. Go buy a $6 bottle of nodoz from CVS its the same thing as those $80 weightloss pills they just throw a few milligrams of other stuff to pretend its NOT the 200mg of caffeine doing it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread