VV Reos

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I like your idea. Make the door solid with no hole. Make the squonk hole underneath the button. Make it so it doesnt show from the front or back. Taper the edges of the hole much like the button is reccessed. Extend the divider inside the mode down more. I think this would be just as functional if not more than where the hole is now. Hold your grand and try it with the hole on the side compared to where it is now. TO me its much easier. I think the mod would look better too. Just because something is, doesnt mean it has to be. I think this is a good case of form following function. I'll bet your $10,000 (Mitt Romney) this won't happen but its a very good thought.

This hole position has been discussed for 2yrs now, I would like to see it on the side too, However the man building the unit has a reason for where he puts it, there is a lot more to this then meets the eye, and moving one thing means changing another, then you get into design changes all over the place, as much as it sounds like a good idea there are reasons for it being where it is in my opinion, and most likely it's gonna stay right there.

Last edited:

ltrainer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
upstate ny
This hole position has been discussed for 2yrs now, I would like to see it on the side too, However the man building the unit has a reason for where he puts it, there is a lot more to this then meets the eye, and moving one thing means changing another, then you get into design changes all over the place, as much as it sounds like a good idea there are reasons for it being whee it is in my opinion.

In this case I dont think it would be too much change. THe prints are being being done now which include change anyway. Taking the hole out of the door, cutting a hole in the side with a taper and extending or slightly thickening the divider to my mihds eye aren;t huge changes but I'n not a mod builder, Rob is. Whatever he does will will be good.

And let's not forget that Rob's patent is on the door-holed model. Deviating from that design could have other implications as well.

Personally, I think a REO trying to emulate an Ali'i is blasphemy.

I dont think the idea is to emulate the Ali. It would be to make it more ergonomic and/or more aesthetically pleasing.

I love my Grand. Been with me for a year now but we are talking about a new design to begin with here.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Any change at this point would be opening a can of worms you change one thing on a mod with tight tolerances and its a domino effect. Its easy to rattle off all kinds of ideas but making them work is another story .The grands and mini mods look real simple but believe me any deviation and I mean minor and the mod wont work properly. Remove the sliding door Now you have to deal with how do we change batteries can it be done sure it can you need a access point with some type of door or latch. It would effect access to the vv unit and some will fail . A mod has to be serviceable as well. I have worked on a couple ali mods for people. I had to rip the top of the mod apart to repair it. After removing all the epoxy and spending way to much time I was able to fix the unit here was a mod were no one thought about servicing the unit and only focused on how small can we make it . I wont be making any big changes for the vv grand .I do value your input and down the road I may just put some of the ideas into future models. .Lets get this mod rolling and We can build another model down the road .I will do like I did with the switch on this mod ask opinions and take some poles.We can build it together from the ground up :)

amarti

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Dusseldorf, Germany
.Lets get this mod rolling

Actually yes. Lets get it out. Let us buy it.
(Or maybe not. Or should I?)

I think the major point will be VV and two batteries and stacking. In this second I could swear, that I don't want that and prefer to wait for the Kick in a Reo Grant. But that happened already with me with the Stabilized Burl. Tomorrow will be another day and I swear, that I will have then a different opinion.

Andreas

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Thats fair enough Rob. I know you'll make a great mod as you always do.

The ideas I said above didnt involve removing the door just the hole in the door so access would be the same as it is now.

Makes me think of something I once heard....".A camel is a horse made by a commitee"
Hello Lauren I no you will be right there when the time comes .I look forward to your thoughts and ideas my friend .I may even be persuaded if you offer some photo shoots for the mods :)

whatitstrue

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2011
Phoenix, AZ.
Any change at this point would be opening a can of worms you change one thing on a mod with tight tolerances and its a domino effect. Its easy to rattle off all kinds of ideas but making them work is another story .The grands and mini mods look real simple but believe me any deviation and I mean minor and the mod wont work properly. Remove the sliding door Now you have to deal with how do we change batteries can it be done sure it can you need a access point with some type of door or latch. It would effect access to the vv unit and some will fail . A mod has to be serviceable as well. I have worked on a couple ali mods for people. I had to rip the top of the mod apart to repair it. After removing all the epoxy and spending way to much time I was able to fix the unit here was a mod were no one thought about servicing the unit and only focused on how small can we make it . I wont be making any big changes for the vv grand .I do value your input and down the road I may just put some of the ideas into future models. .Lets get this mod rolling and We can build another model down the road .I will do like I did with the switch on this mod ask opinions and take some poles.We can build it together from the ground up :)

Rob I'm not worthy of your wisdom and insight. Once again you remind me why I love the REO so much.

Thank you for all you do!!!!!!!!

Richard

PsychOfMSE

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
Lexington, KY
Hey, I was just thinking out loud while using my Ali'i. I own a reo as well, and my only complaint is the bottle opening in the door. It's so convenient being able to fire with the index finger and squonk with my ring finger all without having to remove the mod from my hand.

Just thinking out loud, try to not take it too seriously :)

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Hey, I was just thinking out loud while using my Ali'i. I own a reo as well, and my only complaint is the bottle opening in the door. It's so convenient being able to fire with the index finger and squonk with my ring finger all without having to remove the mod from my hand.

Just thinking out loud, try to not take it too seriously :)

No one was hating on ya. Folks were just chiming in with their varying opinions and Rob added some reality to the speculation. And left the door open, I noticed...

PsychOfMSE

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
Lexington, KY
No one was hating on ya. Folks were just chiming in with their varying opinions and Rob added some reality to the speculation. And left the door open, I noticed...

In my mind it would be a relatively simple modification. Solid door, extended divider, milled hole in the side underneath the button. Didn't want to knock down a hornets nest :) I was on tapatalk at work taking a vape break and realized my only gripe with the reo was having to turn the mod over to squonk the bottle. Of course I'm chomping at the bits to get a VV Grand, so anything to set back production is definitely a negative in my mind. I need one NOW!!

beezer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2011
The VooDoo Lounge
In my mind it would be a relatively simple modification. Solid door, extended divider, milled hole in the side underneath the button. Didn't want to knock down a hornets nest :) I was on tapatalk at work taking a vape break and realized my only gripe with the reo was having to turn the mod over to squonk the bottle. Of course I'm chomping at the bits to get a VV Grand, so anything to set back production is definitely a negative in my mind. I need one NOW!!

Seems simple enough and I don't mind vaping my other Reos awhile longer to achieve perfection. That's just me though. Some are going to have to rough it for awhile with the 20 or 30 they already have :D

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
I am content to get what Rob decides he wants to make. I have no issues with the many devices he has built and while I appreciate his asking for comments, he always comes up with the best design.

This is one of those times that I figure I should leave it up to the expert.

Sometimes too many cooks spoil the broth :) I am not referring to anyone in particular. Please do not flame me.....

ps. I HAVE been to a star trek convention. not on purpose, but have been to one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread