US sources for juice flavors like Thai basil, basmati rice, & Drambuie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Licensed Luny

Verified Member
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Hi there,

Within a day or two of starting vaping I was wondering about different flavors that remind me of foods I like to smell cooking, specifically the way Thai basil smells when it's heating and the way basmati rice smells as it cooks. It seems like such a large percentage of the juice flavors are geared towards sweet fruity or dessert-y things. Are there any US sources of ejuices with flavors more like entrées and less like desserts? I've read a bit about DIY juice, but I'd rather not start delving into that so soon after catching the hardware side of the hobby bug. From what I can find it seems like I'd first have to extract my own flavor concentrates anyway.

Also, could anyone point me to a source of Drambuie flavored ejuice? (It's a really sweet liqueur, and I'm asking on behalf of a family member who's trying to switch from smoking to vaping with me. I've found rum and amaretto flavors online but no Drambuie yet.)

I'm new to ECF, too, and I've been vaping for several weeks now thanks to a nearby B&M shop with a welcoming vibe and helpful staff, Vape Vine in Annapolis, MD, US. They've been great about helping me find starting points and letting me sample all their juice flavors. Sadly, they don't stock every flavor idea I can imagine. Go figure.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Luny

Licensed Luny

Verified Member
Oct 22, 2014
United States
It's not really what you specifically asked for but check out the Coconut Thai ordered by Potomac Vaper in Woodbridge, VA. Should be less than an hour drive from Annapolis.
Thank you! Reading what descriptions of that flavor juice I can find certainly has me interested. I think I'd rather have some shipped than spend the time and gas money on a trip that long - in my experience no trip from one side of D.C. to another during business hours takes less than an hour! ;) But I'll check online with the shop you mentioned first.

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
Thank you! Reading what descriptions of that flavor juice I can find certainly has me interested. I think I'd rather have some shipped than spend the time and gas money on a trip that long - in my experience no trip from one side of D.C. to another during business hours takes less than an hour! ;) But I'll check online with the shop you mentioned first.
I'm in Melbourne, AU at work but when I get back to the apartment I'll post more information. It's not something they make in house so I'm sure you should be able to find it online.

Licensed Luny

Verified Member
Oct 22, 2014
United States
I'm posting to publicly grant dchemist +1 internet point! My first bottle of Coconut Thai arrived in the mail a few hours ago. This stuff is sooooo good! Thank you so much for the referral! It's like some of the aroma "hits" I get when walking through the front door of a good Thai or Vietnamese restaurant. Yumyumyum!

This particular flavor seems to come only as 100% VG. My mega emow tank is doing an admirable job, but I have to resist the urge to chain vape. One more reason to look into getting a beginner RDA. Oh drat. :p

Alas, it's just making me want to try Thai basil e-juice even more. If juice flavored like coconut, lemongrass, and basil is this good there must be so many other possibilities for tasty juice in flavors other than candy or sweet fruits.

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
Wow, thanks for the kind words! I don't want too push you to fast but when you venture into RBAs (I see you've already been building coils) make sure to add a Kayfun Lite+, and a Magma to the mix. For me, the Magma is the best flavor producer but it's leaky in a pocket walking around, that's where they Kayfun wins out. Also, I like using Rayon for wick because I never get the wet t shirt taste. I'm glad you're enjoying! Vape happy!!!

Licensed Luny

Verified Member
Oct 22, 2014
United States
Wow, thanks for the kind words! I don't want too push you to fast but when you venture into RBAs (I see you've already been building coils) make sure to add a Kayfun Lite+, and a Magma to the mix. For me, the Magma is the best flavor producer but it's leaky in a pocket walking around, that's where they Kayfun wins out. Also, I like using Rayon for wick because I never get the wet t shirt taste. I'm glad you're enjoying! Vape happy!!!
"Don't overwhelm the newbies," is a prudent sentiment in most any field - I appreciate it! But I already pushed myself far enough to head back to the B&M and leave with a clone of a Russian 91% a couple weeks back. :D As I understand it, that's something kind of like a Kayfun Lite. I've got several Kanger emow tanks around, too, and I swap the R91 and a mega mow tank back and forth on the iTaste SVD mod. So far, I like both tanks. It seems easier to get consistent hits off the emow tanks; the R91 can be great, at times even better, but it's a finicky little devil. From the googling I've done I'm guessing the problem is that I use thick juice, at least 70% VG, in it. (Squape-R is already on my radar.) So I'm reluctant to try wasting my tasty new 100% VG in that one. I find the thinner 50/50 blends taste fine, but I start coughing and getting tension-ring-type headaches if I use those as much as I use the thicker juices even while drinking lots of water.

I was thinking something called IGO-W looked to be an inexpensive starter RDA, but yours is not the first recommendation I've seen about these Magmas. Perhaps I'll have to give those a closer look when choosing where to start. I avoided drippers at first for the seemingly low portability function compared to tanks, but so many people rave about them ... there's gotta be significant advantages making them worth the trouble. It's still mostly over my head, but the details I can manage to gather about things like top or bottom feeders, RDTAs, and such seem really intriguing, perhaps the best of both worlds? A voice in my head (which I'm hoping is one of the sensible ones) keeps arguing that such is not where I should first start though. (Voices in my head which I'm certain are neither sensible nor pragmatic regularly argue I should just buy one of everything to test and compare for myself. I can shut them up for a day or two by watching youtube review videos until my eyes cross.)

No dry hits yet, but my attempts at restraint aren't going so well. The level is dropping faster than normal. It smells fantastic in here!

Edit - Oh, re wicks. I already figured out I like cotton wicks' taste better than the stock silica. I'm slightly nervous about inhaling fibers from any wicking material, but I figure I've been inhaling cotton fibers/lint all my years of wearing and washing/drying cotton laundry. They've yet to cause me trouble. AFAIK, there's no comparably large source of either silica or rayon fibers in the air around here. Certainly a decent chance I got fibers from the filters on the cigarettes I used to smoke, but the whole point of switching to vaping was to find a less harmful way to get my nic fixes. (I bought the first starter kit before I believed getting nicotine could taste any better than my smokes.)

Last edited:

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
"Don't overwhelm the newbies," is a prudent sentiment in most any field - I appreciate it! But I already pushed myself far enough to head back to the B&M and leave with a clone of a Russian 91% a couple weeks back. :D As I understand it, that's something kind of like a Kayfun Lite. I've got several Kanger emow tanks around, too, and I swap the R91 and a mega mow tank back and forth on the iTaste SVD mod. So far, I like both tanks. It seems easier to get consistent hits off the emow tanks; the R91 can be great, at times even better, but it's a finicky little devil. From the googling I've done I'm guessing the problem is that I use thick juice, at least 70% VG, in it. (Squape-R is already on my radar.) So I'm reluctant to try wasting my tasty new 100% VG in that one. I find the thinner 50/50 blends taste fine, but I start coughing and getting tension-ring-type headaches if I use those as much as I use the thicker juices even while drinking lots of water.

I was thinking something called IGO-W looked to be an inexpensive starter RDA, but yours is not the first recommendation I've seen about these Magmas. Perhaps I'll have to give those a closer look when choosing where to start. I avoided drippers at first for the seemingly low portability function compared to tanks, but so many people rave about them ... there's gotta be significant advantages making them worth the trouble. It's still mostly over my head, but the details I can manage to gather about things like top or bottom feeders, RDTAs, and such seem really intriguing, perhaps the best of both worlds? A voice in my head (which I'm hoping is one of the sensible ones) keeps arguing that such is not where I should first start though. (Voices in my head which I'm certain are neither sensible nor pragmatic regularly argue I should just buy one of everything to test and compare for myself. I can shut them up for a day or two by watching youtube review videos until my eyes cross.)

No dry hits yet, but my attempts at restraint aren't going so well. The level is dropping faster than normal. It smells fantastic in here!
You're definitely taking the right approach. Read, read, read...then read some more. I started on a basic ego/ce5 bought on impulse and it was good but would never get me off the analogs. Once I dove head first into ECF, following advice to a tee, my Vaping journey has been exceptional. I'm a flavor junkie and with that bit of knowledge I was off to the races.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
I've been curious about non-sweet juice flavors as well. They're just not common, for whatever reason.

However, as I looked around after reading your post, I saw a sprig of basil (kind of weird, I'll grant you that) I had picked earlier. Then I remembered: some people have posted experiments with steeping tea in PG, to make their own tea flavor. It's way more common to do this with tobacco, but I can't see why this wouldn't work with any dried leaves, like basil.

Go to the General E-liquid Discussion > DIY discussion, and possibly into Tobacco Extraction. They may have some tips, if this seems to be something you might be interested in. My mom always told me "if you wanna nice Thai basil vape, you'd better make it yourself!"

I'll dig around to see if I can find the posts on tea steeping, to give you some ideas. It would also be a PG-based extraction, and you wouldn't have as many issues wicking. You would have to start mixing your own juice (not hard), at least ordering unflavored to add your flavor to.

A little overwhelming, I know, but I couldn't resist after I remembered it may be an option.

ETA: here we go. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, here's a jumping-off point, with the tea extraction. Now you're going to have me thinking about extractions...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14357629

Edit 2: now I see you explicitly mentioned extractions in your first post. Oops :)

Last edited:

Licensed Luny

Verified Member
Oct 22, 2014
United States
I've been curious about non-sweet juice flavors as well. They're just not common, for whatever reason.

Well thanks right off the bat for the knowledge that I'm not the only one out here looking!

Most of my time browsing juice descriptions online leaves me wondering if there's something wrong my taste buds. A majority of the flavor descriptions sound more like stuff I'd have gone nuts over before the age of about 12, maybe, but have long since outgrown. There are bazillions of different taste preferences out there, sure; I pass no judgement on what flavors someone else enjoys! I've just been very surprised at the seemingly narrow range of popular flavor genres, if you will. (I did try to research the puzzling trend, but I gave up pretty quick. Arguments that the sweet flavors are a conspiracy to get little kids hooked on vaping strike me as obviously utter tripe. Such behavior from big corporations? Yeah, ok, it's possible. But all these juice options, at least in the US, are clearly coming from lots of small businesses and individuals. The "juice industry" is still too young and varied for me to believe a collaborative conspiracy is even logistically possible.)

However, as I looked around after reading your post, I saw a sprig of basil (kind of weird, I'll grant you that) I had picked earlier. Then I remembered: some people have posted experiments with steeping tea in PG, to make their own tea flavor. It's way more common to do this with tobacco, but I can't see why this wouldn't work with any dried leaves, like basil.

Go to the General E-liquid Discussion > DIY discussion, and possibly into Tobacco Extraction. They may have some tips, if this seems to be something you might be interested in. My mom always told me "if you wanna nice Thai basil vape, you'd better make it yourself!"

I'll dig around to see if I can find the posts on tea steeping, to give you some ideas. It would also be a PG-based extraction, and you wouldn't have as many issues wicking. You would have to start mixing your own juice (not hard), at least ordering unflavored to add your flavor to.

A little overwhelming, I know, ...

No, you didn't overwhelm me. You're making me want to get into DIY juice even more than I already did. That's worse than overwhelming me! :p

... but I couldn't resist after I remembered it may be an option.

ETA: here we go. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, here's a jumping-off point, with the tea extraction. Now you're going to have me thinking about extractions...

How to extract from tea?

Edit 2: now I see you explicitly mentioned extractions in your first post. Oops :)

Thank you so much for the reply and the research! I will check that out. (Tea-flavored juices are even already on my list of things to try, whoot!)

Weeks ago I got to hunting around online and wound up reading a description for how to distill your own herb extracts by boiling them in a pot of water with a little catch basin sitting in the middle while keeping a bowl of ice on top to catch the condensation and have it collect back in the catch basin. It sounded like an interesting thing to try if nothing else, but I was still figuring there must be someone out there who's already made the stuff I want. I can't find the link back to it now though. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread