UK - Disposable vapes are set to be banned as part of plans to tackle the rising number of young people taking up vaping

Tor R

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com

Figures from the Action on Smoking and Health (Ash) charity suggest 7.6% of 11 to 17-year-olds now vape regularly or occasionally, up from 4.1% in 2020.

Campaigners have long argued that disposable vapes are wasteful and that the materials and chemicals used to make them, including their lithium batteries, make them difficult to dispose of safely.

The latest changes would also introduce powers to stop refillable vapes being sold in a flavour marketed at children and to require that they be produced in plainer, less appealing packaging.

The government will also be able to mandate that shops display refillable vapes out of sight of children and away from other products they might buy, like sweets.

This is alarming though:
    A further public consultation will take place to decide which flavours should be banned and how refillable vapes will be sold, the government said

Flora1976

Dec 19, 2023
    I see a lot of teens with disposable and very colorful vapes. However, it's still better than when I was a teenager - teenagers were using tobacco analogs.

However, I also know many adults who have stopped smoking with disposables. Some of them only buy a real device 1-2 years later. Disposables are very convenient, but a disaster for the environment.

There are pros and cons.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    First they came for the disposable vapes, but I said nothing, because I was using a mechanical squonker and DIY'ing my juice....

I don't have details, but I have a vague recollection that they're also planning a "generational" ban in the UK?

And of course Australia is worse. They're going to vapes by prescription only and criminalizing everything else.

Sad.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    I don't have details, but I have a vague recollection that they're also planning a "generational" ban in the UK?
    Yep, born after 2009 will not be able to buy tobacco related, like cigarettes, vape, etc, similar to what they have in New Zealand.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    I think they are going to look at the juice this way.
    1, they have a study where the adult users mention what they prefer, and which juices are less important flavor profile.
    2, they already know what young people prefer in the flavor profile.

Then they weigh their favourites, young against adult, and where the young flavor choice becomes the most important thing, i.e. ban.

If few adults take part in the survey (do not bother, feel it is not important) there may be quite a few flavors that will be banned

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I think they are going to look at the juice this way.
    1, they have a study where the adult users mention what they prefer, and which juices are less important flavor profile.
    2, they already know what young people prefer in the flavor profile.

Then they weigh their favourites, young against adult, and where the young flavor choice becomes the most important thing, i.e. ban.

If few adults take part in the survey (do not bother, feel it is not important) there may be quite a few flavors that will be banned
    The online public consultation (survey) was a joke and not wildly known about. Only 26,000 people filled out the survey despite there being 4,500,00 vapers in the UK. The results to some of the questions again was a joke as they have ignored the majority and are continuing to restrict vaping.

Flavours are next in the firing line. Theres talk of limiting it to tobacco, mint, menthol and fruit. Another consultation will take place but as we all know this is just a complete waste of time as it's just a tick in the box exercise.

Time will tell as to how this will all pan out but I'm guessing the writing is on the wall.

I just wish the powers that be would be honest and not keep lying to us and not say they are doing all this on the grounds of youth vaping and environmental impact.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    The online public consultation (survey) was a joke and not wildly known about. Only 26,000 people filled out the survey despite there being 4,500,00 vapers in the UK. The results to some of the questions again was a joke as they have ignored the majority and are continuing to restrict vaping.

Flavours are next in the firing line. Theres talk of limiting it to tobacco, mint, menthol and fruit. Another consultation will take place but as we all know this is just a complete waste of time as it's just a tick in the box exercise.

Time will tell as to how this will all pan out but I'm guessing the writing is on the wall.

I just wish the powers that be would be honest and not keep lying to us and not say they are doing all this on the grounds of youth vaping and environmental impact.
    Yep, I heard that too, lots of trick questions, leading questions.
    Disposables were not important, in these days where resources such as batteries have become very important, it must be said that it is good that disposables are disappearing.

Flavour, it is important to answer when they start the survey. Much more than we think.

dog man

Oct 4, 2023
    Western NC
    Frustrating.
    My Vehicles carbon footprint is destroying the planet? Fill that vehicle to the brim with disposables and it would likely take a year in this country (maybe a half year in a subcompact) and then I'll send it out to the crusher.
    Teens vaping? Are they allowing it below age 18? If they are vaping are they ingesting nic? (very few do and most opt for 0%). So they;re emitting a vapor? Dangerous? (NOT).

Where do these A-ho's get off with their sense of control over our lives?
    Why don't we straight out fight back and blow vapor up their snout while reaming them out for their stupidity?
    It's not that hard folks, Stand Your ground and be heard.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    I've never used a disposable, yet I strongly disagree with this. Reducing the choice of products people have is never a good thing.
    I think the reasons for the disposables ban are quite complex.
    Basically, they have one hairy goal of becoming tobacco-free by 2030, and any vape ban destroys that goal.

But then comes the problem, or more correctly, the problems with disposables.
    One of them is waste of resources, and in today's society we try to manage resources as smartly as possible, and that is the main point against disposables in most countries.
    Then there is more, much more behind the ban on disposables than just that.
    UK has a 20mg nic limit, there are importers / dealer networks that have imported disposables with a strength of 50mg or higher, some of these were raided by the police.
    Then you have sales that take place at the supermarket, petrol stations, everywhere, and it is also a fact that young people and children easily get hold of disposables.

The vape industry has taken it for granted that when the goal is to become smoke-free by 2030, the authorities may look a different way at what is in the gray zone.

Well, they didn't.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yep, I heard that too, lots of trick questions, leading questions.
    Disposables were not important, in these days where resources such as batteries have become very important, it must be said that it is good that disposables are disappearing.

Flavour, it is important to answer when they start the survey. Much more than we think.
    Disposable sales in the UK have risen significantly and come under attack on the grounds of the environmental impact of waste and underage vaping ( youth epidemic).

While I disagree with an outright ban because banning 1 aspect of vaping leads to other aspects of vaping coming under the cosh (flavours).

It's a very heavy handed approach and will have a knock on effect. The waste and youth problems need to be addressed but not by a ban.

• Agree
    Reactions: Tor R

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Never think they are stupid, They know exactly what they are doing!

The only strange thing here is that it is the UK, I thought that government was pro-vaping, maybe the big guys finally got enough pressure to make them bend.
    They were pro vaping but have come under increasing pressure to do something about the problems we in the UK have with disposable waste and youths vaping them.
    We have illegal vapes entering the UK that exceed our regulations and under the counter sales to youths. Rather than look at enforcing the control they've done a knee-jerk response of implementing a ban on all disposables.

• Agree

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I think the reasons for the disposables ban are quite complex.
    Basically, they have one hairy goal of becoming tobacco-free by 2030, and any vape ban destroys that goal.

But then comes the problem, or more correctly, the problems with disposables.
    One of them is waste of resources, and in today's society we try to manage resources as smartly as possible, and that is the main point against disposables in most countries.
    Then there is more, much more behind the ban on disposables than just that.
    UK has a 20mg nic limit, there are importers / dealer networks that have imported disposables with a strength of 50mg or higher, some of these were raided by the police.
    Then you have sales that take place at the supermarket, petrol stations, everywhere, and it is also a fact that young people and children easily get hold of disposables.

The vape industry has taken it for granted that when the goal is to become smoke-free by 2030, the authorities may look a different way at what is in the gray zone.

Well, they didn't.
    Unfortunately it won't stop at the disposable ban. They are now looking at flavours and talking about restricting them that they deem could entice teens to vape.

Looks like we are now catching the rest of the world up with the nonsensical restrictions and bans.

• Agree

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    It just sounds nice to the public, "think about the chidren!" They just want to kill vaping so kids can buy cigarettes which are sold on every corner.
    Agree they are doing it because they think that's what the public wants. Like most the media blow everything out of proportion and the propaganda around vaping is a load of lies.

Here in the UK the government is also making a big move to tackle smoking too. You mention cigarettes are on every street corner but unfortunately so are disposables and there lies the problem. The majority of them are illegal imports.

Tor R

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Mandal, Norway
    www.kinnheia.com
    Unfortunately it won't stop at the disposable ban. They are now looking at flavours and talking about restricting them that they deem could entice teens to vape.

Looks like we are now catching the rest of the world up with the nonsensical restrictions and bans.
    From what I've heard, legal importers brought in illegal disposables of stronger nic strength, and distributed them to the chains, nothing can be said other than that they are hellishly stupid.

The only way to stop this is regular inspections of the shops. Those who are serious certainly want shop inspections so they can get rid of those who sell illegal goods and to the children.

Of course, incompetent politicians take the youth trick, it always sells well in the mass media.
    They did that with us too, when 20% of the young people had tried disposables, the end result was a flavor ban.

Users who are viewing this thread