• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

True Christianity is Not a Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I was doing the dishes this morning, and an overwhelming thought popped into my head. It said "true christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship".

Wow, so simple, and so true. You will not find God is just going to church on sunday, or practicing religious rituals, listening to preachers, tithing, or any of those things.

To be a real christian is to have an intimate relationship, in your heart and mind, with your creator alone. Nothing else is necessary.

Church can be a good thing if you need to be around brothers and sisters, and some pastors are good, but some are seriously mislead and too many people blindly follow them like they are Jesus Himself. They are not, they are just regular people like you and me. God gave us a brain, and in the end we, solely, are responsible for our own actions here on earth. We won't be able to say "Well, pastor Bob told me that".......it's up to each one of us to study on our own, pray on our own, and let God guide each one of us individually through these last days.

Being a christian does not mean being a member of a social group, or a member of a church, it's all about your own personal relationship with God and accepting the free gift of salvation from our savior, Jesus.

What say you??????? :)

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
If you guys don't see much of me today, our cable connection is 'on again off again finigan.' (My folks used to say that.)

Unfortunately, this is a world of labels.......democrat...republican....rich....poor ....fat....thin...(I'm fluffy)....healthy...sick....smoker....non-smoker....ad nauseum. It may be fair, it may not be fair. For some people, you don't have to wear your label on your sleeve....but the Nazis in Germany during WWII made you wear them. I've always told people that.....hindu's are religious...I'm a Christian. But because this world is hurting, I 'wear' my Christianity everywhere I go. I want to be ready, just in case the Lord gives me an opportunity. It's easier where I live since I live in the Bible Belt.

But you are correct, Lisa, stating that being a Christian is being in a relationship with Almighty God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. But, I am Christian first and denomination second. As in any relationship, it takes work. If there is any problems within this relationship, it always comes from us! That I do know....or it is in my case. We are the ones that suffer from it. It saddens the Lord, though. Scripture tells us we are the bride of Christ. We women know more about being the bride than the men. My husband said he's never been a bride before.:laugh:

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
Religion=Superstition

Hence Jesus said, "unless yours is better than that of the Pharisees you will not see the kingdom of heaven". This is problematic in that there has never nor will there ever be a religion as great as that of the Pharisees. In essence, Jesus said it is not religion that will allow one to see heaven. Jesus answers the problematic with "no one comes to the father except through me". It is purely relational not religiosity.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Here is the google definition of religion: "A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

There is nothing in the definition of the word Religion that has anything to do with having a deep personal relationship with God. It's just a "set of beliefs, a moral code of conduct and rituals" and nothing more then that.

True Christianity is sooooooo much bigger then that, soooo much greater then that, it's a living thing, a working living breathing relationship with Christ, not just a set of beliefs or rituals. I'm a child of God, a follower of my savior and Lord Jesus Christ, I have a deep personal relationship with Him, I am a true christian. But I am a true Christian as a result of the first three things. The first three things is what makes me a true christian, not the other way around.

It has nothing to do with attending a physical building on sunday morning or adhering to some rituals or whatever.

My deep love and relationship with God is so much more then a "Religion" that the term "religion" is actually borderline insulting when you think about it, it just seems to cheapen the true meaning of what it means to be a christian.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
Here is the google definition of religion: "A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a supernatural agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

There is nothing in the definition of the word Religion that has anything to do with having a deep personal relationship with God. It's just a "set of beliefs, a moral code of conduct and rituals" and nothing more then that.

I'd hate to know that I had to depend on Google for my salvation.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
The Pharisees were extremely religious and Jesus condemned them because they were missing the most important thing, the love for God in their hearts. They did not have an intimate personal relationship with God, which is clearly the most important thing and the only thing that matters.

Exactly. This is the reason I said there has never been a greater religion than that of the Pharisees. Jesus said "yours must be better than theirs". This cannot be done. So.....religion can not be the answer.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Exactly. This is the reason I said there has never been a greater religion than that of the Pharisees. Jesus said "yours must be better than theirs". This cannot be done. So.....religion can not be the answer.

Exactly. I posted this same exact post on a large christian forum that I also belong to, and people freaked out......lol. Why do you think that is?

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
If you guys don't see much of me today, our cable connection is 'on again off again finigan.' (My folks used to say that.)

Unfortunately, this is a world of labels.......democrat...republican....rich....poor ....fat....thin...(I'm fluffy)....healthy...sick....smoker....non-smoker....ad nauseum. It may be fair, it may not be fair. For some people, you don't have to wear your label on your sleeve....but the Nazis in Germany during WWII made you wear them. I've always told people that.....hindu's are religious...I'm a Christian. But because this world is hurting, I 'wear' my Christianity everywhere I go. I want to be ready, just in case the Lord gives me an opportunity. It's easier where I live since I live in the Bible Belt.

But you are correct, Lisa, stating that being a Christian is being in a relationship with Almighty God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. But, I am Christian first and denomination second. As in any relationship, it takes work. If there is any problems within this relationship, it always comes from us! That I do know....or it is in my case. We are the ones that suffer from it. It saddens the Lord, though. Scripture tells us we are the bride of Christ. We women know more about being the bride than the men. My husband said he's never been a bride before.:laugh:

LOL...... your husband never been a bride before.......TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!! :laugh::laugh:

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
Exactly. I posted this same exact post on a large christian forum that I also belong to, and people freaked out......lol. Why do you think that is?

Pride and prejudice for the most part. Most "established" religious organizations have a "niche". Something that others do not have/offer. These "niches" have turned into traditions and from tradition to "church doctrine". Many people follow very closely to "church doctrine" all the while turning further away from the teaching of Jesus. Once "church doctrine" has been accepted as a Biblical teaching/Jesus teaching, people are often offended greatly by someone challenging their interpretations or beliefs. Think about this: How many churches do you know that proclaim to be "the one and only church". The truth is that in the western world most lay claim to this in some form or another. Establishing in someone's mind that just because they attend a certain church does not guarantee them heaven is cumbersome to say the least. Especially when they have been told that their religion or group is the very one accepted by Jesus.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
More thoughts on this:

Being religious...... going to church, going to confession, tithing, reading the bible, celebrating "religious" holidays........all that stuff is nice, but it's not the main point.

The main point of being a Christian is having that close personal relationship with God. That's the most important thing because without it, everything else is just going through the motions without any substance behind it.

The world tosses the label "christian" around like it's nothing more then a slice of bread, and most people actually agree with that. Oh yea, I"m not a jew, a hindu, a muslim, and my mother raised me in church, so I guess I"m a christian.........yea, that's what I will call myself, I"m a Christian. It's a label for many people without any substance, meaning or truth behind it. Just a label, and that is not right.

Just because you go to church, does not mean you're a christian. Just because you have a "jesus loves me" bumper sticker on your car does not mean you're a christian. Just because you pray occasionally does not mean that you're a christian.

It's what's going on in private, behind the scenes, deep in your heart and mind that makes you a true christian.

A true Christian is a person that focuses his/her life on God. A true christian is a person that does their best to follow Jesus's example, and repents when they fall short. A true christian loves God more then they love their own child, spouse, self. A true christian seeks to align his/her will with that of God's will, no matter what. A true Christian seeks God's guidance constantly through prayer. A true christian is grateful for everything that they have, material needs, life, water, air, joy, family and recognizes that all good things come from Him alone. A true Christian knows that they are saved by grace alone, not because they are better or more special then another, and also understands that they too are unworthy without the blood of Jesus. A Christian worships and values God more then anything else in this world. More then their own family, their home, their job, their money, their physical appearance, their intellect........everything.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Pride and prejudice for the most part. Most "established" religious organizations have a "niche". Something that others do not have/offer. These "niches" have turned into traditions and from tradition to "church doctrine". Many people follow very closely to "church doctrine" all the while turning further away from the teaching of Jesus. Once "church doctrine" has been accepted as a Biblical teaching/Jesus teaching, people are often offended greatly by someone challenging their interpretations or beliefs. Think about this: How many churches do you know that proclaim to be "the one and only church". The truth is that in the western world most lay claim to this in some form or another. Establishing in someone's mind that just because they attend a certain church does not guarantee them heaven is cumbersome to say the least. Especially when they have been told that their religion or group is the very one accepted by Jesus.

You're 150% right. This is why I do not attend a church, I could never find one that wasnt' so rigid and cult like. I just stay to myself, and focus on God completely and I let Him teach/lead me. But, when you say that to large groups of other christians, they pile on you and get nasty about it.

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
You're 150% right. This is why I do not attend a church, I could never find one that wasnt' so rigid and cult like. I just stay to myself, and focus on God completely and I let Him teach/lead me. But, when you say that to large groups of other christians, they pile on you and get nasty about it.

Of course you know I pastor a church. I'll tell you why I think church attendance is important. It is of utmost importance for you to find people of like minds and beliefs. People that will offer you encouragement and help you bear your burdens. You will not find one group/church that is perfect. If it is perfect, it won't be when you get there. That's not a personal knock, it is something that can be said of all of us. If you can agree with a group/church as to what it takes to be a child of God, then nothing else within really matters. Salvation is the only issue serious enough to warrant fellowship or non fellowship. The problem with "dogma" and "cult like behavior" is usually derived from that particular "church doctrine" or tradition. We will never find a place/church where we will all agree on everything Bible. It is vital though to have people with whom we love to fellowship, share meals, share heartaches, share joys and worship. Of course the less dogma the better and this may take many years of searching.

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
Of course you know I pastor a church. I'll tell you why I think church attendance is important. It is of utmost importance for you to find people of like minds and beliefs. People that will offer you encouragement and help you bear your burdens. You will not find one group/church that is perfect. If it is perfect, it won't be when you get there. That's not a personal knock, it is something that can be said of all of us. If you can agree with a group/church as to what it takes to be a child of God, then nothing else within really matters. Salvation is the only issue serious enough to warrant fellowship or non fellowship. The problem with "dogma" and "cult like behavior" is usually derived from that particular "church doctrine" or tradition. We will never find a place/church where we will all agree on everything Bible. It is vital though to have people with whom we love to fellowship, share meals, share heartaches, share joys and worship. Of course the less dogma the better and this may take many years of searching.

I don't know, honestly for me, groups have always been a stumbling block. I"m an extremely sensitive person, probably too much, and people can be so cruel and petty. I"ve never felt welcome in any church that I visited, always felt awkward and not really welcome, maybe it's just in my own mind, I'm not sure. My mom feels the same way as I do, she doesn't go either.

I"ll post my story someday here, I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses for 7 years. After leaving (traumatic experience in itself) I decided that I'll never again belong to or attend any group worship activities, and instead stay on my own and let God lead me. My mother and I support eachother spiritually, I study CONSTANTLY, and I fellowship with like minded believers online which is great for me, and all I really want/need at this point in my life.

I live in the mountains, many churches around here, but I really have no desire to go. Maybe someday, I won't say never. But, I don't need to attend a church to have an awesome relationship with God. :):)

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
I don't know, honestly for me, groups have always been a stumbling block. I"m an extremely sensitive person, probably too much, and people can be so cruel and petty. I"ve never felt welcome in any church that I visited, always felt awkward and not really welcome, maybe it's just in my own mind, I'm not sure. My mom feels the same way as I do, she doesn't go either.

I"ll post my story someday here, I was one of Jehovah's Witnesses for 7 years. After leaving (traumatic experience in itself) I decided that I'll never again belong to or attend any group worship activities, and instead stay on my own and let God lead me. My mother and I support eachother spiritually, I study CONSTANTLY, and I fellowship with like minded believers online which is great for me, and all I really want/need at this point in my life.

I live in the mountains, many churches around here, but I really have no desire to go. Maybe someday, I won't say never. But, I don't need to attend a church to have an awesome relationship with God. :):)

I like to get to know who I'm going to live with...it is going to be an eternity ya know. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread