Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Every part will have some impact on the flavor you get, and you learn to build to suit your taste buds. I've tried the same juice in different tanks with wildly different taste results. If I did want to make a sweeping generalization, I would say that super sugary sweet liquids might kill a coil faster because it builds up the char on your coil, so those might be better for your rebuildable tanks, and avoid them in your factory coil tanks.

Agree, and add nets to the gunkers ;)

I think this is what a lot of people used to buy.

And DO read carefully, they have two versions, one is 100% rayon, that's what you want. The other is a rayon / cotton blend.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    For about ten years I've been building coils with 5 or 6 wraps of 30g Kanthal wire and have been happy with it. When I went to rebuild my coil yesterday I noticed I was getting low on 30g wire, so I decided to try some 28g wire that I've had for years.
    I use 28ga wire, 6-8 wraps w/ 2.5 - 3.5 ID. I have slight commitment issues..

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    Playing by hand. For the most, 2.5mm, 11 wraps, 26ga Ni80. Averaging 1.2 - 1.34 ohms @10 watts. The ramp-up is a tad slow, but the flavor and vape is a nice experience. (Edit-70/30 vgpg, 12mg Menthol)

And a pic of my coil tool. The line is ground into it for wire insertion point, and to count rotations.
    20240307_114556.jpg

20240307_113944.jpg

Last edited:

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    Interesting. Can you use the rayon/cotton blend if you wanted?
    I think there were threads or something in the blended fiber rope that made it great for keeping perm juice from running down your neck in the beauty parlour and bad for making vape wicks. The 100% Rayon ropes are long fibers that are easy to divide lengthwise to make wicks.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    I think there were threads or something in the blended fiber rope that made it great for keeping perm juice from running down your neck in the beauty parlour and bad for making vape wicks. The 100% Rayon ropes are long fibers that are easy to divide lengthwise to make wicks.
    That's the good thing about rayon rope. I get two wicks out of each piece by splitting them lengthwise. And it's easy to pull out fibers to get them to the thickness you need.

Sometimes they can go goofy on you though. Like you get a stretch where the fibers go at an angle rather than straight so it falls apart. Or the occasional hard lump. Definitely easier to make a wick than with a cotton pad, for me anyway.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Rayon, for years.

So far :)

Re "So far", what I meant was that I have enough coils to never run out. Yes - the government will $odomize us. They already have. THAT horse, unfortunately, has not only left the barn; it's already glue. :oops:

I don't know why but when Rayon first hit the vape scene, I couldn't shake the thought of those AWFUL double-knit pants my mother used to make me wear in elementary school (late 60s, VERY early 70s).

I stuck with cotton for vape. :lol:

1709858902386.png

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    THAT horse, unfortunately, has not only left the barn; it's already glue. :oops:
    And even the glue doesn't stick well, so they keep grasping at straws (It's full of straws..) to find something that will.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    And even the glue doesn't stick well, so they keep grasping at straws (It's full of straws..) to find something that will.

Excellent point.

What are the idiotic PMTA numbers again? 15-20 approvals out of 4-5 MILLION applications? :facepalm:

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    I don't know why but when Rayon first hit the vape scene, I couldn't shake the thought of those AWFUL double-knit pants my mother used to make me wear in elementary school

Well, yeah, but an old pair of pants would be wicks for life!

Users who are viewing this thread