Tootle Puffers, Part Three! (The Sequel of the Redux)

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I'm still using that Japanese cotton that was popular back when the Flinstones vaped. ;)

Well, that and blister packs (still my faves!). I learned to coil because I thought I'd have no choice. That turned out to be incorrect.

1709770609977.png

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm still using that Japanese cotton that was popular back when the Flinstones vaped. ;)

JOC is still a popular wick material, it's just that those who use it don't evangelize about and proselytize for their choice of wick material like users of other materials :lol:

Cotton Bacon and other vape-branded wick materials are very popular. CB is just ultra-cleaned JOC not in pad form.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs

Well, that and blister packs (still my faves!). I learned to coil because I thought I'd have no choice. That turned out to be incorrect.

View attachment 1009252
    I wish I was in the scene back before Fasttek dropped the ball. I'd entertain using factory coils over rta, if I could afford it.

Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Actually, the “Beyond” carried over from the previous Provanati thread that got deep sixed (for reasons I do not recall). And it was Rod who added it to the previous thread upon some urging from yours truly due to the penchant for threadmembers to derail the thread.

OK, now I remember. The previous thread was subject to gettingg bbq’d because we always got off topic. Adding “beyond” was the way Rod could make the thread durable. Except I think Rod ultimately deep sixed his own thread. :laugh:

All this from someone who can’t remember what he had for dinner two hours ago. :)

JOC is still a popular wick material, it's just that those who use it don't evangelize about and proselytize for their choice of wick material like users of other materials :lol:

Cotton Bacon and other vape-branded wick materials are very popular. CB is just ultra-cleaned JOC not in pad form.

Koh Gen Do! LOL! I couldn't even remember the name of it. I had to go find the box.... :blush:

I wish I was in the scene back before Fasttek dropped the ball. I'd entertain using factory coils over RTA, if I could afford it.

I get it. If we hadn't stocked up over multiple years, I'd not be using them either.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    I think rampup sucks on 26ga for lower wattage, even for 25W. I ditched 26ga for 28ga years ago. It's not bad if you have a mod with preheat or curve, though. But 28 and thinner is still better for me. No preheat needed at 10W or less on thinner wire.
    My next order I plan to get 28 in Ni80 and Stainless for around 1.2.

I've ran 26 for a couple weeks, but ramp-up has had too much lag.

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I wish I was in the scene back before Fasttek dropped the ball. I'd entertain using factory coils over RTA, if I could afford it.
    FWIW, I hate building so I use Z coils. They last forever for me. I do clean them once or twice along the way and eventually dump them but don't think I ever had one actually die on me, they just drop a bit in performance. I probably use about 10-15 coils per year and that is less than $20 so works for me. I guess you could save a few $ per year by building but it isn't worth it to me.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    I've been using MUJI cotton for years. It just works.

Me too. I tried it maybe 5 years ago and stuck with it. Muji's density just works better for me.

I have and use that too. To be honest, I usually just grab what's next in the boxes. I'm not too particular since it all feels similar to me. I've no problem adjusting power (watts or volts, depending on the mod) until it tastes like I want it.

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    FWIW, I hate building so I use Z coils. They last forever for me. I do clean them once or twice along the way and eventually dump them but don't think I ever had one actually die on me, they just drop a bit in performance. I probably use about 10-15 coils per year and that is less than $20 so works for me. I guess you could save a few $ per year by building but it isn't worth it to me.
    I've heard of the Zcoils and how well they work/last, though by the time I did, I was 5 Aspire N³ tanks and 150 coils stocked. Ten boxes (5/box) was running $100 +/-. For as much as I like the tank/coil set-up, I had to re-evaluate.

That's when I decided to try the VapeFly Brunhilde MTL-RTA. They're nice tanks, with great flavor, but also a completely different style in use. To also add, other necessities were needed to aid in maintaining and use.

Along with RTA's came a learning curve, which I'm still in, and learn something new each time I rewick/recoil. Which I've done a lot of while trying different techniques as I attempt to get dialed in. I am getting better at it.

Nothing beats dropping in a fresh coil and being done with it, so you can go on about your day!!

What tank and coil do you run?

rosesense

14 years and counting
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    I've heard of the Zcoils and how well they work/last, though by the time I did, I was 5 Aspire N³ tanks and 150 coils stocked. Ten boxes (5/box) was running $100 +/-. For as much as I like the tank/coil set-up, I had to re-evaluate.

That's when I decided to try the VapeFly Brunhilde MTL-RTA. They're nice tanks, with great flavor, but also a completely different style in use. To also add, other necessities were needed to aid in maintaining and use.

Along with RTA's came a learning curve, which I'm still in, and learn something new each time I rewick/recoil. Which I've done a lot of while trying different techniques as I attempt to get dialed in. I am getting better at it.

Nothing beats dropping in a fresh coil and being done with it, so you can go on about your day!!

What tank and coil do you run?
    I use the Zlide, Zenith tanks, the Zbiip AIO and mostly use .8ohm coils.

I just bought another 10 boxes of the coils (about 6.50 per box) and then wondered why I did that. Not likely to use them in my lifetime since I still have about 15 boxes (5 each) from 3 years ago. So 50 coils is around 62.00 and they last me forever.

Last edited:

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2012
    N.N., Virginia
    When I learned how to build my own coils, factory made coils were kinda crappy, and I was looking for something better. When I got my first Kayfun Lite, I'm sure I saw the clouds part, heard angels sing, and I thought I was in heaven.:party:

Real-ist

Jan 25, 2024
    Among The Pugs
    When I learned how to build my own coils, factory made coils were kinda crappy, and I was looking for something better. When I got my first Kayfun Lite, I'm sure I saw the clouds part, heard angels sing, and I thought I was in heaven.:party:

I've looked at the Kayfun and strongly considered buying one. Then I read they're meant to be used for liquids heavy in flavor...like custards and berries. At that point I drifted away from them, because I vape for Menthol and nicotine.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 21, 2012
    N.N., Virginia

cats5365

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 27, 2013
    United States
    I've looked at the Kayfun and strongly considered buying one. Then I read they're meant to be used for liquids heavy in flavor...like custards and berries. At that point I drifted away from them, because I vape for Menthol and nicotine.
    +1 for Sally's Rayon wicks.

I don't think you can necessarily limit a particular tank or wicking system to a certain liquid when it comes to DIY. Every part will have some impact on the flavor you get, and you learn to build to suit your taste buds. I've tried the same juice in different tanks with wildly different taste results. If I did want to make a sweeping generalization, I would say that super sugary sweet liquids might kill a coil faster because it builds up the char on your coil, so those might be better for your rebuildable tanks, and avoid them in your factory coil tanks.

I built my stockpile years ago, so I haven't been experimenting with the newer offerings. I would recommend that you consider picking your absolute favorites and stocking up on them (and nic) while you can. I never expected Fastech to close down, but with the politics worldwide, you never know what the future will hold. Taxes can skyrocket, shipping can be stopped, stores can close, and you can only count on the gas station to still have combustibles if your vape cupboard is bare.

There's nothing wrong with experimenting, but I would cover your bases while you still can.

Users who are viewing this thread