Mindfield's Mega Juicy Vapor Roundup (Part I)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
I went a little crazy with juices this month. Damn you, Juicy Vapor, for taunting my weakness and tempting my credit card with big sales! *shakes fist* Damn you to hell! [/Charlton Heston]

So in this first part of a 2 part series, I will be exploring the depth and complexity of character across 15 chapters of the JV saga ... of juice. 15 flavours eagerly yet bravely vaped for your viewing pleasure.

All vaped on an eGo at standard voltage on fresh batteries dripped into a selection of standard 510 and eGo atomizers (and a cartomizer or two where I found one pleasurable enough to fill an entire carto with). I may revisit this post later at such time as I've let them steep in case it changes any of the flavours (they've been a week in transit so I figure they've already had some steeping time).

All are 24mg reduced PG.

Standard boilerplate disclaimer applies: Taste is subjective. My tastebuds are not yours. Contents may have settled. If redness and swelling persists, consult your physician.

So without further ado, let's get to it, shall we?

juicy_vapor_juices_1.jpg

Espresso
Yes, that's right. I am still on my coffee quest. Juicy Vapor's Espresso tastes like fresh roasted coffee ... plants. The branches in particular. Hiding somewhere among the foliage, peeking through the leaves chittering noisily before scampering deeper into the bush when it catches you watching it lurks an elusive Espresso flavour that you know is in there somewhere, but there isn't much chance of catching it so you can tag and monitor it as you release it back into the wild. Good vapor production, nice throat hit, and vapable if all of your other, better juices are all gone and as long as you're not Italian and prone to throwing little demitasse cups at whoever made this.
Verdict: 3/10. (Es-pass-o)

Coffee
Take a nice handful of fresh roasted coffee beans and put them in the grinder. Press the button until it's a nice medium grind. Take the lid off the grinder. Now throw the coffee out and go stick your tongue a jar of chicory blended with wheat germ. Disturbingly, in the bottle, this smells a little bit like the pizza liquid I had from Velvet Vapor. It vapes like some kind of organic coffee substitute. Good TH and vapor, I'll give it that, but not coffee. It's never even met coffee. In fact, I think this liquid wants to punch coffee in the cherries. I'd vape it once the Espresso was gone.
Verdict: 3/10. (Take it with cream and mouthwash)

Irish Cream
My wife is on an Irish Cream quest in the same way I'm on a coffee quest, and the only place that reputedly has the best Irish Cream that is closest in flavour to Bailey's won't ship to Canada. Bummer. So we added JV's Irish Cream to the haul so we could try it. And I say this having a bottle of recently-used Bailey's in the kitchen. JV's Irish Cream interpretation is certainly creamy, and may even have a passable Irish lilt -- good enough to pass for a foriegner in Dublin trying too hard to fit in, anyway. There isn't a strong alcohol flavour that I've gotten from other juices. In fact, it's kind of mellow, scooting over to the subtle side of the flavour spectrum. Not bad. Bailey's it's not, but it's certainly vapable. I tried mixing with the coffee in the hopes that it would make the coffee bearable, but the Irish Cream got all huffy and tried to hit me with a shelelagh.
Verdict: 6/10. (The Rubberbandits would write a song about it. From atop their horse.)

Butter Rum
One of my wife's choices, and I do like the odd butter rum candy. This one was ... interesting. There's definitely a good strong butter rum flavour in there. Not quite the same mixture as you'd get in, say, Life Savers, but a good solid butter rum nonetheless. More interestingly, this gives a kind of cooling sensation on the tongue when you take a drag, kind of like a more subtle version of the way menthol does, but it's not menthol, nor is there any hint of menthol. A good, sweet, buttery, rummy flavour. Ever-so-slightly muted throat hit, good vapor. Very nice indeed.
Verdict: 8/10. (Pirate tested, puppy approved)

Bacon
You know those things you have to try at least once in your life? Bacon-flavored vape juice is one of those things. And now that I have tried it, I can die knowing that I have learned what pork rinds taste like when they've been dipped in month-old pig fat and then baked to a golden brown in the furnace of Satan's bowels. Oddly, it doesn't have a whole lot of smell even after vaping it. This is probably for the best because if this stuff smelled like it tasted my neighbours would probably be calling 911 to report a terrorist gas attack. I hesitate to describe the sensation as a throat hit so much as a throat gag.
Verdict: 2/10. (I'd rather smoke my own meat. But I guess that goes without saying.)

Caramel Macchiato
After the espresso and the coffee, I was beginning to dread trying this. I mean, I love caramel, but if this used the same coffee in the mix -- and it certainly smelled like it -- then I was afraid I'd hear a desperate gasp for air from the caramel the second I opened the bottle. Instead, all I heard was a defeated whimper. That said, the caramel actually makes a valiant attempt to smother the chicory-wheat-coffee-substitute, and almost manages to succeed, too. But like dousing oneself in cologne to cover up the visible stink lines of BO, the chicory-wheat-coffee-substitute is still there. To its credit though, the caramel is prominent enough to send the coffee to the back row where it just kind of glares at the caramel and draws pictures of it with a giant .... in the margins of its notebook. Nice bold TH, decent though thinner vapor production.
Verdict: 6/10. (Still a passing grade on the curve.)

Toasted Marshmallow
Who doesn't love roasting marshmallows? I'll tell you who doesn't love roasting marshmallows. Muammar Qadaffi, that's who, and that's good, because he's not getting any of my toasted marshmallow juice. That's not to say I'd sell my body for a few ounces of this stuff, but it's actually pretty good. I wouldn't quite say it tastes exactly like toasted marshmallows, but it most definitely brings it to mind. Maybe they're store-brand marshmallows, and it's a store nobody has ever heard of and the company that makes them is going by a poorly translated Swahili description of what a marshmallow tastes like, but it gets pretty close to the mark, because there's a lovely crispy toasty sweet vanilla-y marshmallow-y flavour in there and it's quite good. Now, maybe it's the atomizer I'm using (a well-worn Janty eGo Mega) but it's got a throat hit like getting kicked in the trachea by a large, angry tree whose siblings you're burning to toast your precious marshmallows. Average vapor.
Verdict: 8/10. (Screw trees. I can breathe marshmallows.)

French Toast
You know, it's really too bad the coffee and bacon weren't any good, because I could inhale an entire breakfast every morning. I mean, screw solid food, am I right? JV's French Toast is French Toast. It's just like a delicious fried egg-soaked slice of bread slathered liberally with pancake syrup, liquified and bottled in a vape, only without the floaty bits of dough. Absolutely delicious. If I had to lodge one complaint against it -- apart from the fact that it makes me want to vape in my underwear while I read the morning paper -- it's that the flavour isn't strong enough. It's unmistakably there, but it just needs a little more oomph to make it really shine. Vapor and TH are a tad on the light side, too.
Verdict: 8/10. (I like my toast like I like my kisses: Dry and yeasty.)

Boston Cream Pie
If I had never been to Boston, never met anyone from Boston, never even heard of Boston, and someone introduced me to Boston by way of this liquid, I would still have absolutely no idea what a Boston was except that it was probably a bit of a jerk. I've had Boston cream pie. I've had Boston cream donuts. I've had Boston Pizza -- heck, I was just there yesterday. Whatever this liquid is, its relation to Boston cream pie is like that of Nanaimo bars to grilled cheese. Not that it tastes like chesse, but if I had never had either one and you gave me a grilled cheese and then asked me to describe what a Nanaimo bar tastes like, I could no more tell you than explain what this tastes like, and all I know is that it doesn't taste like Boston Cream Pie. Or Nanaimo bars. Or grilled cheese. I can't even really describe what it does taste like, except that there's a hint of the memory of sweetness sitting far below something I can only desctribe as "kind of woody," and not in a Tom Hanks way. TH and vapor are both fairly average.
Verdict: 4/10. (I'd give it an extra point if it could tell me where it hid Boston cream pie's body.)

S'mores
There are two kinds of S'mores. The traditional kind with marshmallow and chocolate shoved between two graham crackers. Then there's the kind I liked to make (and subsequently taught all the kids to make at camp when I was a kid) which was to slit a banana open down the middle, stuff the cavity with chocolate and marshmallows, wrap in foil and bake over a fire for ten or fifteen minutes. Way better than the dry graham cracker stuff. This has little to do with anything in much the same way JV's S'mores has little to do with S'mores. Okay, that's not entirely true, I just thought that would have been a good segue if S'mores was crap. S'mores is not crap. Neither is it particularly resembling of S'mores, either, but that's not to say it's bad, per se. It's kind of imitation-chocolatey with a hint of marshmallow. No discernible hint of graham. Cracker, Nash, Greene, Chapman, none of them. Not even Graham Kerr. Now he could have figured out how to make S'mores. Nevertheless it's relatively pleasant if you don't mind that faux chocolate taste. Slightly muted TH, average vapor.
Verdict: 5/10. (Maybe I'll have S'more, please. Or, you know, maybe not. Meh.)

Pumpkin Pie
I love a good punkin' pie. My wife, not so much, but come Thanksgiving, just cut off a slice and give me the rest of the pie. You can divvy the slice up amongst yourselves. Out of the bottle this juice smells a fair bit like pumpkin pie. In the atty? It's pumpkin spice that someone accidentally dumped a barrel of cloves in. There are hints of cinnamon and nutmeg in there, maybe a grain or two of ginger clinging to a clove stud, but as an attempt at pumpkin pie, it's like someone set a pie out, filled an AK-47 clip with clove nails and unloaded the entire magazine into it. Great if you love a lightly spiced clove vape. Not so good if you were looking for something with pumpkin in it. Good TH and vapor, though.
Verdict: 5/10. (Give it a few extra points if you're just randy for cloves. Or cloven for Randy.)

Waffle
Adding to the breakfast theme, we come to Juicy Vapor's take on waffles 'n syrup. And you know what? It tastes like waffle 'n syrup. Or French Toast. It's hard to tell. Actualy, there is a subtle difference in that French Toast tastes more subtly eggy and toasty and syrupy while waffles has a bit more of that waffly flavour under the syrup. It's not a huge difference, but it's there. Same complaint applies here: Needs more punch, but it's very good as-is. Probably would work better at a higher voltage. (And when my ProVari gets here I'll probably go through these again. Except the bacon and coffees. They can go straight to hell.) Good TH and vapor.
Verdict: 8/10. (If I had some nuts and cheesecake, I could make a special edition Sara Palin waffle.)

Cotton Candy
Ah, the old sugar treat that looks like a big bushy head of Don King's hair. If it were pink and/or blue. This one actually tastes a fair bit like cotton candy. It's quite sweet and has that ineffable flavour of cotton candy. It could almost be mistaken for bubble gum, but not quite. The liquid is even pink. Pretty good as sweet vapes go. Not an all day vape by any means -- a bit too sweet for me, but a really good dessert vape. Or one to have at the county fair as you try and knock those last two damn bottles that you swear are glued to the platform so you can win that tiny stuffed bear you just spent $35 on and will probably trade up to spend another $50 winning the big ugly snake. Decent TH and vapor.
Verdict: 7/10. (Could also be mistaken for Phil Spector's hair.)

Caramel
As we come into the home stretch we come to the last two that I had hoped would be spectacular. You see, a few weeks back I ordered some 36mg caramel from MadVapes and was disappointed when it didn't taste like anything more than sweet vanilla. But I decided to mix it up with some low 12mg Butter Pecan from Velvet Vapor that I couldn't vape because it was too weak and had too much un-thinned VG. The resulting creation was pure, effervescent, vigorous, bottled sex. I vaped that dry, all 18mg of it. And I wanted more. So I ordered this and more butter pecan (below) in the hopes of creating an even better combination. But first: Caramel. This, at least, tastes more like caramel than MadVapes' juice did. An artificial caramel to be sure, not a nice buttery smooth caramel, but a caramel nonetheless. To that end, then, it is superior. It still isn't real caramel, but I could easily vape this. Good TH, good vapor.
Verdict: 7/10. (Hmm ... I wonder how this would taste with the toasted marshmallow?)

Butter Pecan
There's a kind of buttery something here. Somewhere. I think it's under the futon. Pecans? Yeah, I guess those could be pecans. Could be really ugly peanuts, too. It's just so hard to tell. So, yeah. It's kind of buttery pecan-ey. Sorta. Something approaching butter pecan maybe, just kind of sidling by, not really looking in my direction, pretending it didn't see me like I'm beneath it or something. Well screw you, butter pecan! You look hideous in that dress, anyway! Actually, it's not that bad. It's just not entirely butter pecan. It's a filbert wearing a hand-drawn pecan mask drenched in something that could be "buttery topping." I don't know. It doesn't mate with Caramel nearly as well as my previous combination did, sadly. Still, vapable if a little generic. Good TH and vapor.
Verdict: 6/10. (Also, those shoes? They make your ankles look fat.)

And that wraps up this edition of Masterpiece Vaper. Tune in next week when another 12 flavours will assault my senses and try to hit on my wife.

Last edited:

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
UPDATE: Looks like my second JV shipment just went out today. Bit slow this time around, considering I ordered last weekend.

Also: There was a particular flavour in the French Toast that I couldn't quite place but was different from other French Toasts I've tried, and I just realized what it was: Molasses. Kind of odd, though I suppose not tremendously out of the ordinary.

Also also: I put some toasted marshmallow in a DC carto. It still hits like a mule kick. I don't know what they make this with, but it probably did jail time.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Seriously entertaining reviews, I`m a fan ;)

(Of your writing, not of all of the flavours!)

Thanks. :) Yeah, overall JV's getting a marginally passing grade (I'm not including bacon on that bell curve because really, nobody has ever a good bacon juice -- which may have something to do with the fact that just typing "bacon juice" makes me a little gaggy. And I love bacon.) Part Deux should be arriving later this coming week (along with my Provari - wee!) so I'll have more to say, and should be able to try them at higher voltages too for a more rounded review.

Thanks for the review, when I saw the picture of the pumpkin pie juice, I immediately scrolled down to read. Its almost fall and I want to get a few "fall" flavors, I am a clove fan so I might give it a whirl. Thanks!!

Glad you liked it! Yeah, I'd love a good pumpkin pie vape, but this one was just way too strong on the cloves. I don't mind clove, don't get me wrong, but it almost completely overpowers any presence of cinnamon, ginger, or nutmeg it might have had. I'll still vape it, but I'll just close my eyes and think of England when I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread