To Vape or Not To Vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
That is the question. There seems to be quite a bit of debate among members of this forum as to whether it is okay to vape in public. Here's my take on it:

There are some who vape openly, who don't care if anybody sees them and throw a fit when they are asked to stop.

Problem: This makes the vaping community look like a bunch of inconsiderate thoughtless jerks. "Oh no, it's one of those ill-tempered e-cigarette smoking ......."

Then there are people who insist that they won't vape where they can't smoke.

Problem: This is just as bad if not worse as it makes vaping look just as dangerous as smoking. "Hey he has one of those e-cigarettes. I thought I heard they were safe? I guess they must be just as dangerous as a real cigarette if he has to take it outside."

Neither one of these is the answer.

I have not done a lot of vaping in public (I don't get out much -LOL). But I have developed my own policy when it comes to vaping in a public place. I WILL ask permission from the management on my first visit.

"Excuse me, you don't mind if I vape do you?"

"What's vaping?"

Insert educational discussion here.

If they say "No Problem." I know I've found a new place to patronize and spend my hard earned cash.

"If they say "No, you can't do that." I'll calmly inform tham that they've lost a customer through their closed-minded ignorance.

By only vaping where you can smoke, you're keeping people ignorant about what vaping is and reinforcing the steriotype that vaping is just as harmful as smoking.

By vaping away regardless of what anyone thinks you're reinforcing the steriotype that those of us who vape are inconsiderant nincompoops.

Bottom line: Don't reinforce the image that vaping is dirty or dangerous and also, don't be a jerk.

That's just my 2 cents. :2c: :D

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Bottom line: Don't reinforce the image that vaping is dirty or dangerous and also, don't be a jerk.

I agree! Just because I'm special, :rolleyes:, I decided to take my .... to Emerg today because one of my retina's decided to tear.

So, I had a LOT of time to myself today..IN hospital...in my very own little room! :w00t: (I'm referring to a 6x9 ft room that was mostly taken up by THE CHAIR OF DEATH! No, I DON'T like it when people poke around my eyeballs, thank you very much...)

And, I vaped in there like a CHAMP!! But, I shut the door and was pretty stealth about matters. If someone had happened in there, I'd have just held my breath a bit longer..I did NOT want to have to continually go outside, so I DIDN'T.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I agree that most people don't understand the concept of vaping and jump to conclusions that it is smoking because it looks like you are smoking. I'm not sure the term Vape will help our cause because it's not understood, rhymes with Gape (which is what they will do if you use it inside), and doesn't adequately describe the process to someone who doesn't understand.

I just tell people that it's is a Nicotine Inhaler that has helped me drastically reduce the number of tobacco cigarettes that I use to smoke and will eventually allow me to quit without all the side effects. I explain that the vapor is water and propylene glycol, which is in various foods, medicines, and stage fog machines and that the exhaled vapor has been tested to be 99.99% free of nicotine since I absorb the rest.

Given that short description of what I'm doing, the guard drops and most people are amazed that something like this exists. I add that I'm smoking some, but it's allowed me NOT to smoke about 1000 analogs a month that I used to burn.

I have found acceptance when I'm able to give the spiel, but most of the time I just vape discretely and no one notices. I try not to allow vapor to escape as I exhale and just vape enough to satisfy the urge in a public place.

I'm waiting for some good publicity about an amazing replacement for analogs that is now available to all who smoke. I want to hear about the FDA, New Zealand, and other tests that have declared these devices to be 1/100 of the risk. I also want to hear testimonials from people who have used them and quit smoking almost immediately or cut down drastically without withdrawal pains.

And then, I want to hear how ineffective nic gum is and how the quit rate is 7% compared to the 70% rate of the PV. Then, I want to be able to use the PV in public and have people say, "I've heard of that! It's supposed to be a really good method of quitting cigarettes."

Fox, CNN, and the others... We are waiting for the man on the street news story...

Ghost Song

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Oklahoma
when you say 'public,' do you mean in a private establishment open to the general public or do you mean outside in view of the public?

if you are talking about an establishment where smoking is generally not allowed, then i agree with you on some points. it's best to ask for permission or just not vape. i've read posts on this forum where people actually seemed shocked and legitimately upset when told they could not vape in whatever establishment they were in. "it's not a cigarette" is a lousy reason to whip out your pv and puff away in places where cigarettes aren't allowed to be smoked.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
when you say 'public,' do you mean in a private establishment open to the general public or do you mean outside in view of the public?

if you are talking about an establishment where smoking is generally not allowed, then i agree with you on some points. it's best to ask for permission or just not vape. i've read posts on this forum where people actually seemed shocked and legitimately upset when told they could not vape in whatever establishment they were in. "it's not a cigarette" is a lousy reason to whip out your pv and puff away in places where cigarettes aren't allowed to be smoked.

I don't usually vape inside unless it's a Walmart or Home Depot or some huge place and then I do it discretely and try not to exhale visible vapor. Once in a while I will vape one big hit in a smaller place and let the vapor dissipate before I exhale.

Last edited:

the_antisheep

ECF Veteran
Apr 23, 2010
CO
That is the question. There seems to be quite a bit of debate among members of this forum as to whether it is okay to vape in public. Here's my take on it:

There are some who vape openly, who don't care if anybody sees them and throw a fit when they are asked to stop.

Problem: This makes the vaping community look like a bunch of inconsiderate thoughtless jerks. "Oh no, it's one of those ill-tempered e-cigarette smoking ......."

Then there are people who insist that they won't vape where they can't smoke.

Problem: This is just as bad if not worse as it makes vaping look just as dangerous as smoking. "Hey he has one of those e-cigarettes. I thought I heard they were safe? I guess they must be just as dangerous as a real cigarette if he has to take it outside."

Neither one of these is the answer.

I have not done a lot of vaping in public (I don't get out much -LOL). But I have developed my own policy when it comes to vaping in a public place. I WILL ask permission from the management on my first visit.

"Excuse me, you don't mind if I vape do you?"

"What's vaping?"

Insert educational discussion here.

If they say "No Problem." I know I've found a new place to patronize and spend my hard earned cash.

"If they say "No, you can't do that." I'll calmly inform tham that they've lost a customer through their closed-minded ignorance.

By only vaping where you can smoke, you're keeping people ignorant about what vaping is and reinforcing the steriotype that vaping is just as harmful as smoking.

By vaping away regardless of what anyone thinks you're reinforcing the steriotype that those of us who vape are inconsiderant nincompoops.

That's just my 2 cents. :2c: :D
+1 Asking is key if you are aiming for civility when you intend to vape indoors. Those who say no should either be respected for that, or if you find them hostile, should be boycotted.

We don't own the place, and people shouldn't act like they do. If I walk into your house with a gun because I have a license to carry, you don't have to allow me to bring it in, and I can always choose to not enter.

Civility will go a long way for a cause. Being a d-bag will just amplify people's hatred for our community and put them on the wrong side of the fence from our cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread