There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the 808

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
...at least not on the general forums. I'm not sure why. It seems a bunch of people wanna steer newbies toward mods right away, but I don't think everyone who takes up vaping necessarily wants to toke on something that looks like a flashlight or a mini-ICBM. I like the smaller form factor of the 808 even though I gotta change batteries every couple of hours.

RookLV

Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I get that from my friends in town too. Some of them keep shaking their sonic screwdrivers at me going "this thing lasts two day!" It also weighs ten pounds, looks like something out of a bad Blade Runner spoof, and is about as pocketable as a cordless drill. And don't even get me started on the lanyards! The way I see it is I'm a grown man. I do what I want! They're happy. I'm happy. It doesn't REALLY matter, right? :toast:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I think it's because MOST people started on "skinny batteries" then found that the battery life WAS a problem and moved to bigger batteries. They're just trying to save new people from the same expense!

And IF someone said "I really want something shaped like a cig" I'd probably steer them to a 510 instead of an 808 - to make it easier later, in case they change their mind - they'd have a bigger world of choice to move up to - all the EGO batteries, that would take their 510 attachments, etc. Nothing wrong with any of it - just 510/Ego gives you the whole world to shop...

RookLV

Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
But, if I decide to go with a different battery or cartomizer or clearomizer, they do make converters. I'm still not dead in the water. What swayed me was a review I read that was done recently which pointed to the 808 as having better battery life compared to 510's of a similar size and it being simpler to use. For me these were big enough to sway me. I will totally say that the 510 has the best overall community support and is widely adapted. But, in this form factor, everything I read point to the KR808 as being best in class.

That all being said: I know myself well enough to know that if I'm going to move to something larger it will probably be one of the larger advance mods. If I'm gonna get something I can tinker with... I'm going all the way! :D

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Exactly! I also have a Provari which I love, but it is heavy, I do not take it out of the house for fear of loosing it :) It is not as portable as an 808 Triton :) bnrk

I get that from my friends in town too. Some of them keep shaking their sonic screwdrivers at me going "this thing lasts two day!" It also weighs ten pounds, looks like something out of a bad Blade Runner spoof, and is about as pocketable as a cordless drill. And don't even get me started on the lanyards! The way I see it is I'm a grown man. I do what I want! They're happy. I'm happy. It doesn't REALLY matter, right? :toast:

nick779

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh
I got back into the vaping scene with a volt because of the form factor and just had some cravings to curb. for a real smoker a cigalike makes the transition easier, all it takes it the proper setup.... yeah battery life might be annoying, but you have to think about what a smoker would be comfortable carrying.

I went 2 days with the 78mm volt battery and almost emptied 4 cartos, thats plenty for me. im pretty happy with my new setup which is still the regulated 78mm volt batteries and a t4 clearo, its not awkward and just works for me. Ill eventually go to either the x2 or the volt spinner, maybe even a vw mod. but a newbie should always just test the waters before going crazy

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Almost everything I own is an 808 or an 808/ego (Smokeless Image and Halo)...but I can't deny that it gets frustrating reading about all the new shiny objects that only fit the 510 or 510/ego. Fortunately, I have discovered the T2 and T4 that I can use on my setups. If I had it all to do over again, I would not have started with, and invested heavily in, all of my 808 gear.

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
Hmmm... I've been checking out the Kanger e-Smart system and it looks like a potentially good upgrade for an 808 user who wants to retain the pen-style form factor and battery connection (although the chargers are not compatible). I promised myself I wasn't gonna buy any more vaping equipment for a while but but I'm awfully tempted to order a kit.

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages
Been vaping for ~month and a half. Upgraded already once from a smaller 808 to a slightly larger one. Major difference between the two in amount of vapor! Strikes me that the setup is good for a starter/learner, can be upgraded to a more powerful model without losing all of your carts/clearos and familiarities with the system. Starting with something simple likes this minimizes the learning curve and doesn't scare us newbies away. Maybe I'll end up with a device that looks like I'm sucking on a paperback book in the future, but for now been happy with the 808 system I've been using!

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
The T4 is the only clearomizer I've used on my 808 batteries so far. Besides having a higher capacity (1.3ml vs. 0.9ml) and a screw-in vs. press-fit mouthpiece, how does the T2 compare to the T4? It appears that it's also known as the E-smart clearo - the E-Smart system having an 808D-1 thread but a fatter battery.

The Kanger T2 is a 2.4 mil replaceable coil clearo. It uses the ego threads, but works on an 808/ego. It does not screw all the way down on an 808/ego like the Triton or X2, but only leaves a 1/4 inch gap. You can use different ohm heads. Halo sells a Triton tank that is virtually the same as a T2, but does screw all the way down. The replacement coils are identical to the T2...so you can use any T2 coil/wick on the Triton tank.

The E-smart is a 1.3 mil, very similar to a CE4. I use these some on an 808 stick battery, and they also fit on the 808 threading of a 808/ego. However, I don't like them as well as the T4. For me, the E-smart just doesn't hit as well as the T4...aren't as hot and don't produce as much vapor.

Last edited:

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
I like the 808's... the ONLY reason I switched is because it became too much of a chore to find LR (2.0 ohm) cartos for it. I just prefer the vapor production of the LR cartos on my 3.7 devices.

808 cartos are easier to fill, have a great draw, and are easier to clean if they are the horizontal style carto. I'd be using 808's today if they would mass produce a LR carto for them.

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
I like the 808's... the ONLY reason I switched is because it became too much of a chore to find LR (2.0 ohm) cartos for it. I just prefer the vapor production of the LR cartos on my 3.7 devices.

808 cartos are easier to fill, have a great draw, and are easier to clean if they are the horizontal style carto. I'd be using 808's today if they would mass produce a LR carto for them.

Did you ever try Halo LR cartos? I like 'em. I measured a few and they were in the 2.0-2.4 ohm range.

Merbearw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2013
Fair Oaks, CA
...at least not on the general forums. I'm not sure why. It seems a bunch of people wanna steer newbies toward mods right away, but I don't think everyone who takes up vaping necessarily wants to toke on something that looks like a flashlight or a mini-ICBM. I like the smaller form factor of the 808 even though I gotta change batteries every couple of hours.

I'm a 60 day newbie and I love my SI Volt, Halo's mini, and my V2. They all charge on one PPV. I'm exactly that person who doesn't want to toke on the bigger stuff...the cig-a-likes are fine. I buy blank carts and fill with e-liquid. I was only smoker among all friends and fam, so this size is comfortable for me.

Amy87

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
IN, USA
I'm an 808 fan. I'm a light to medium vaper so I don't need super long life between charges. I prefer the ease and portability of my 808s, and now that I've discovered mini tanks I'm 100% satisfied with the performance of them.

I have no interest in mods or bigger set ups. I'm lazy and just want something I can charge up, pop together, and puff :smokie:

Discord

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Portland, OR, USA
I started on an 808 v2cig, it got me started so I don't hold too much frustration to their bad battery life or being overpriced, but I wanted something better... I made the mistake of hunting hard to find another 808 system and got into some V4L stuff. It's a decent set of gear, but takes WAY too long to recharge. Next purchase was for a 510 mod and glad I did. The options for them go much much further. I pass my 808 stuff around to friends for them to try out ecigs, most have got off tobacco, but have moved on to 510 devices as well. I wish I'd started on eGo/510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread