The Posse that cooks together...Recipe Thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Buttery Slow Cooker Cabbage, Pierogies, and Kielbasa
By Deanna Samaan

Buttery Slow Cooker Cabbage, Pierogies, and Kielbasa
  • Active Time
    10 min.

• Total Time
    6 hr. 10 min.

Ingredients
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1 medium cabbage, cored and chopped
  • 1 box of frozen pierogies
  • 1 skinless kielbasa, sliced into chunks
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • 4 medium carrots, shredded
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp celery seed
Directions
  1. Spray the inside of the crock of the slow cooker with cooking spray.

2. Place the butter, lemon juice, and celery seed in the slow cooker.

3. Add the pierogies, cabbage, onion, keilbassa, and carrots to it.

4. Place the lid on the slow cooker and let it cook on low for 4-6 hours. Stir occasionally.

5. Remove from slow cooker and ENJOY!

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
I've made this stove top in an iron skillet.

Grilled Shrimp and Sausage with Peppers and Onions
added by Ashley Muller

Ingredients
1 large onion, diced 1/2" pieces
1 large pepper, any color, diced 1/2" pieces
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced in 1/4" coins
20 large raw shrimp, fresh or frozen, peeled & cleaned with tail on or off
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c unsalted butter
4 Tbsp parmigiano-reggiano, grated
5 small potatoes, diced 1/2" pieces (optional)
1 small package angel hair pasta (optional)
2 c rice (optional)
Directions
1. Dice onions, peppers (I used 1/2 a green pepper and 1/2 an orange pepper) and slice sausage.
2. In a disposable aluminum pan, add the butter. Place over grill.
3. Add sausage, garlic and veggies to pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. When sausage and veggies are al' dente add shrimp. Cook for an additional 2-4 minutes until all of the shrimp are pink. Top with grated parmigiano-reggiano. Serve as is, with potatoes or over angel hair pasta or rice.
5. OPTIONAL: To serve with potatoes. Add potatoes to the butter and begin cooking before adding the sausage and veggies. When they are al' dente add the sausage, garlic and veggies and continue following steps 3 & 4.
6. OPTIONAL: To serve over angel hair pasta. Follow steps 1-4. In addition, boil pasta like normal until al'dente. Drain water. In a large frying pan add 3-5 TBS. unsalted butter. Continue cooking the butter until you see it foaming and the butter getting brown. Add the drained noodles and fry them in the butter for 1-3 minutes, or until the noodles have turned slightly brown from the butter. Put the noodles in a serving dish and top with the sausage, shrimp and veggie mixture and the parmigiano-reggiano.
7. OPTIONAL: To serve over rice. Follow steps 1-4. In addition cook rice like normal. Put the rice in a serving dish and top with the sausage, shrimp and veggie mixture and the parmigiano-reggiano.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
gbhcov.jpg

What you’ll need:

For the Doughnut Holes;

1 lb. crispy and crumbled bacon (with reserved fat drippings)..also reserve one slice to crush up for the bacon sprinkled topping.

1 cup Guinness
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Oil for frying~ I used Canola

For the Bacon Fat Frosting;

1 cup powdered sugar

a few splashes of bacon drippings..(The fat)

Directions:

Crisp up the bacon, and set it aside with the drippings…

*Make the frosting:

Sift the confectioners’ sugar into a medium bowl. Slowly stir in 3 tablespoons or so of the reserved bacon fat, until smooth. **IF you need to play around with consistency, do NOT add any water…use more bacon fat or it will not blend!*

*Make the doughnut holes:

Add the canola oil (about 2-3?) to a large, heavy-bottomed pot. (There should be at least 2 inches of oil in the pot and at least 2 inches between the top of the oil and the top of the pot.) Heat the oil to 350 degrees!

In a small bowl, whisk together the Guinness, cooled melted butter, egg, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt…

Stir the crumbled bacon into the mixture, mixing until a soft dough forms… it will be sticky, but it will be OK!

Once the oil has reached 350ºF, drop about 1 tablespoon scoops of dough into the oil, with damp hands, you can successfully roll them into nice balls! Be careful not to overcrowd the pan with the doughnut holes!

Fry the doughnut holes, flipping them in the oil, for about 2 minutes or until they’re golden brown…

Using a slotted spoon or fork, transfer the doughnut holes to a cooling rack…

One by one, coat the doughnut holes in the fantastic bacon fat frosting and transfer them to the rack to allow the excess frosting to drip off…

Before they set up, sprinkle them with some of that reserved crumbled piece of bacon..optional!

Let them set up…and then serve them only to people you REALLY like…lol!

And grab one five for YOU! ~Enjoy!

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Chocolate Buttermilk Pie
added by Shelia Senghas

small.4.jpg
If you love Buttermilk Pie and you love chocolate then you will love this pie. The recipe for the Buttermilk Pie alone is wonderful, however, the addition of chocolate to this recipe is…well, there just is not enough adjectives to describe it. You will have to try it yourself, and, watch out. Have you a group of witnesses surrounding you, or, you will eat the WHOLE Pie. After 10 years I have just found my sister Karen's Buttermilk Pie Recipe. I have been wanting to make a Chocolate Buttermilk Pie for a long time and so I messed around with chocolate and finally came up with a good recipe.

Cook time: 45 Min
Ingredients
2 unbaked pie shells (9 in or larger)
2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
3 3/4 c sugar
1/2 c all-purpose
1/3 c cocoa powder
6 eggs
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c plus 2 oz. buttermilk
Directions
1. Combine sugar and butter and mix until well blended.
2. Beat in the eggs and mix well. Combine and whisk the flour, cocoa and salt until mixed then add to the butter mixture.
3. Add buttermilk and the vanilla to the mixture and stir until well mixed.
4. Pour into pie shells and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Or, as oven temperatures vary, bake as long as it takes for pie to be firm and not jiggle in the middle. Cool completely before cutting. Store left over pie in the refrigerator.
5. Note: I used an electric mixer though this recipe can easily be mixed by hand. Adapted from Karen’s Buttermilk Pie My older sister Karen always made the Buttermilk Pie for our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, and though I’m not sure where she got her recipe, I am sure that it was the best Buttermilk Pie that anyone in our family ever made, yes, even better than mine. My beloved sister passed away in 1999 a few days after Christmas. The following year I decided to make her Buttermilk Pie in honor of her. I contacted family members and began a search for her recipe. To my dismay no one had it. My mother said my sister had written down the recipe for her, however, after searching she could not find it either. Each year I make a buttermilk pie from recipe’s I have found in books and on line and none of them tasted the same. I am happy to say that while looking through old recipes of my mother’s, after 13 years, I found my sister’s handwritten recipe in time to bake it for Thanksgiving and my family got to enjoy a piece of Karen’s Buttermilk Pie as we reminisced about her and holidays past.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
CrockPot Layered Dinner--Steak, Potatoes, Corn on the Cob

Day 232.

I made a complete meal in the crockpot last night, and it wasn't a soup, stew, or casserole. I made rib eye steak, baked potato, and corn on the cob. It wasn't soggy, nor was it dried out, and I was able to leave the house for six hours.

Choose the Right MADP Solution

Learn how to select the best mobile platform for your company as well as evaluating different offerings.

ads by Swoop

The crockpot rocks.

I had been meaning to try a layered dinner in the crock for a few months, now, but kind of forgot. I am so glad that Julie emailed me! She made steak and sweet potatoes that way last week, with great success.

The Ingredients.

This is what I used. You can use whatever meat or vegetables you have in the house. The trick is to not use too much liquid when cooking the meat, so the potatoes and the corn (or whatever you're using) isn't floating in juice.

--1 1/1 lbs rib eye steak
--1 T of your favorite seasoning rub
--1 T dried onion flakes (a fresh onion would be fine. I wasn't in a chopping mood.)
--2 T Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrins is GF)
--1/4 cup tequila (or broth, apple juice, etc.)

--2-4 potatoes
--2-4 ears of fresh corn
--aluminum foil

In my 6 quart Smart Pot, I used 2 whole brown potatoes, and 4 ears of corn. I could have fit another potato in, probably.

Put meat in the bottom of the crockpot. Rub with seasoning and onion, and flip over to get the other side. Add tequila andWorcestershire sauce.

Wash potatoes and cover with foil. Add to the pot. Shuck the corn, and wrap each ear in foil. Add to the crockpot.

It doesn't seem to matter if the potatoes are closer to the meat, or the corn. The newcrockpots heat from the sides as well as from the bottom, so everything will cook through regardless of location.

Cover and cook on high for 5-7 hours, or on low for about 8. I cooked our dinner for 6 hours on high. My crockpot was quite full.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
The Ingredients
(serves 4-6)
1 whole chicken, with or without skin (4-5 pounds)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder (you can use any rub you like)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of chili pepper (optional, for a bit of smokiness and color)

--4 whole garlic cloves (optional)
--1 yellow onion, quartered (optional)

The Directions.

I used a 6 quart crockpot for a 5 pound bird. It fit nicely.

In a bowl, combine all of dried spices. Rub the spice mixture all over the bird, inside and out. Plop the bird breast-side down into the crockpot.

If desired, shove 4 whole garlic cloves and a quartered onion inside the bird.

Do not add water.
(no, really, don't add any water!!)

Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 8. The meat is done when it is fully cooked and has reached desired tenderness. The longer you cook it, the more tender the meat.

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Ingredients
  • 6 green peppers
  • 1 lb extra lean ground beef, I prefer 90% lean
  • 3/4 cup long grain white rice, raw
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (14 ounce) cans original stewed tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cans tomato soup
  • 1/2-3/4 cup chili sauce
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh black pepper
Directions
  1. Wash peppers, cut tops off and remove core. Drain and chop stewed tomatoes, reserving liquid.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, rice, onion, garlic, 1/2 of the chopped stewed drained tomatoes, salt and pepper.
  3. Stuff peppers with this mixture and sit in the crockpot standing up. Trim bottoms of any especially wonky peppers though they should stand and up packed nicely.
  4. Combine tomato soup, chili sauce, the rest of the chopped tomatoes and reserved stewed tomato liquid. Check the consistency as you may not need all of the reserved tomato liquid.
  5. Pour sauce over peppers.
  6. Cook on low 6-8 hours or until tender. This can take less or more time as crockpots differ wildly

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
German Potato Salad Author: Holly Ingredients 2 pounds red potatoes 1 teaspoon salt 1 (12 ounce) package applewood smoked bacon, cut in one-inch pieces ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar 3 Tablespoons sugar 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard ½ teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon pepper 1 Tablespoon freshly minced garlic ½ cup freshly chopped parsley Instructions 1. Start by scrubbing and cleaning potatoes with water. Dry. Cut into large chunks trying to keep all equal in size. Place potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil. Season with the one teaspoon of salt and boil potatoes for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Turn off burner. Drain water then place pot back on burner. Let potatoes steam dry for a few minutes. 2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cook bacon pieces over medium-high heat until crispy. When done cooking remove bacon with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel lined plate; leaving bacon grease in saucepan. Remove pan from burner to let grease cool down a bit. Slowly add vinegar, sugar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper to saucepan. Place pot back on burner and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and let simmer a few minutes. Stir in minced garlic and let cook only 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and carefully pour mixture over the cooked potatoes. Fold until all the liquid is absorbed then stir in bacon and parsley. Serve potato salad warm and enjoy!

FlyingV

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 23, 2010
Verified Witchdoctor - In a Hut
This one's for you Drott, I've tried zillions and this is my top choice:

Pizza Dough

4 C flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast
300ml warm water

Combine dry ingredients, add water, mix, and knead. (I knead for 5 minutes in the kitchenaid)

Proof for one hour or until doubled.

I divide into 4 8 oz. portions. 2 go in greased tupperwares, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. The other two I proof again for another hour. Flour the ball well and push into a 12" round. Top and cook.

The ones that are in the fridge will need to sit out and warm for about 2 hours before being used. I imagine that you could cut the recipe in half, but having those extra two sitting around means we get to have pizza again shortly. :)

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hey now this is a cool thread! There is a shrimp and pasta recipe I came across online a year or so ago that is just wonderful! I've measured everything in the recipe as is with the exception of the herbs, I just add to my taste on those so not sure about the recipes measurements perse, although the recipe is so good I'm sure the herbs are a great starting point!

Shrimp Pasta with Creamy Tomato Basil Sauce | Reynolds Kitchens

Awesome pasta recipe! Make it with these garlic bread sticks and a salad and you've got the perfect meal.

Olive Garden Breadsticks Copycat

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Drottwiler

Old Timer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2010
Drott's Dog House
Bacon and Potato Tart

c_Bacon-Potato-Tart_RT

ingredients
  • All-purpose flour, for dusting
  • 1/2 of a 17.3-ounce package puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 1 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced 1/8 inch thick
  • 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons butter, for topping
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
directions
Dust your work surface lightly with flour and unfold the puff pastry. Use a rolling pin, roll out the pastry to a 13-inch square then use your fingers to press the dough onto the bottom and sides of a 10 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Fold over any overhanging pastry into the pan to make a thick crust. ..... the bottom of the pastry with a fork. Place in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes until firm.

Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Place a piece of parchment on top of the puff pastry and weigh down with dried beans. Place on a sheet tray and bake for 15 minutes.

Remove tart shell from oven and take off the parchment and beans. Use the back of a spoon to press down the pastry if it has puffed up on the bottom.

Whisk together the eggs, milk, thyme and a big pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl until smooth.

Add the potatoes to the tart shell by beginning on the outer edge and arranging in a concentric circle. Make two layers of potatoes and sprinkle half the bacon and half the cheese in between the layers. Season each layer with salt and pepper.

Slowly pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and top with remaining bacon and cheese. Dot with butter.

Bake for 45 minutes, checking on the crust about halfway through baking, and cover with foil if it gets too dark. Bake until golden and potatoes are cooked through.

Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.

Tip: This tart can be served warm or at room temperature so making ahead of a time is no problem.

Get Cooking: http://www.cooking.com/recipes-and-more/recipes/bacon-potato-tart-recipe#ixzz3ajEv1cbl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread