Not open for further replies.

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
The Original ModFather, USA
Part 1: The Radio

Well, I am so sure this is gonna work, I will post pics as I build this baby. If I fail this may be embarrassing, but I am pretty sure it will vape just fine and the radio will still be fully functional. It is my second Stereo FM mod, so I'm no FM mod virgin!

Today we went to the Dollar Tree looking for something to mod. Didn't like any of the flashlights today. However, I noticed they had two different models of personal radios. I liked the shape and the built-in flashlight, so this is the one I bought. It was a buck!!

Getting home, I removed the back of the unit (held together with only one phillips screw) to expose the radio board.

You will notice that it was designed for two AAA batteries. I know I should put two 10440 batts in parallel (for better battery life) but I liked the idea of beinbg able to carry a spare carto inside of it.

Please note the big flashlight button (big chrome button) .. this will be the vaping button. It will wired to vape regardless of whether the radio is on or off.

My plan is to replace the tiny wiring with 24ga CAT5e stranded wire which will better carry the current for the atty. I also plan to remove the light bulb and replace with a 510 connector. Couldn't be any simpler, huh?

The radio was designed to operate on 3v (two AAA batts), but should operate just fine at 3.7 (one 10440 batt) .. these circuits are very forgiving .. they run on almost anything (2.4v from nicads), 3.0 from Alkaline batts, whatever.

Well, here is part 1. I will post more pics as I mod this device.

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
Part 2: Replacing anemic power leads and Cheap Batty Connectors

The original power leads were little skinny wires (probably about 28-30ga), much too small for carrying the power I want for vaping. The result would be overheated (possibly burnt) leads. Bad.

Replaced the original RED and BLACK leads

with heavier ga wire (in this case a pair of green 24ga stranded CAT5)

Of course, relocating the positive lead and doing away with the battery bridge, since I will be using only ONE 10440 batty.

========================
Handy tip:
510 extensions are the same price as 510 batty connectors. If God had meant us to buy batty connectors, he wouldn't have given us flex-shaft Dremel Tools. My wife says I am so tight I squeek. I call it inventive. Besides, since they are both the same price (a buck at GP), I now have a stock of atty male connectors I use as touch pads.

Before

After

Next step: make room for batty connector, to be continued

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
Part 3: Putting It All Together

Got out the Dremel small barrel sanding attachment and made room for the batty connector. Because of stuff inside the box, I could not recess the connector all the way in, it would run into the volume control. Wired the batty connector then hot glued the connector in place Wired the connector to the same place on the board that formerly had the lightbulb connected.

Put a second battery spring into the spare carto slot to keep it from rattling. Installed 10440 batt and spare carto

Hey, this radio was only a buck (earbuds included) and works great! Seems much more sensitive than my first FM mod, smaller and better!!

Hey, this vapes great!!

Well, that's how to wire up your own personal stereo PV.

Cost:
Radio (Dollar Store) $1
Batty Connector (Goodprophets) $1

Total cost: $2 plus a little time.

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
Is the big silver button the switch?
Looking at the pic:
the big top round chrome thing is the volume control
The small round button (left) is reset, right one is radio scan button
The big oval button is vape
20110712172725513.png

QBass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2011
spooning the Trinity River in Texas
BTW, does this thing look like an enlightened blue cartoon penguin with teeth to anybody else?!?! And, no, I am not intoxicated in any way! :lol:

I can imagine you would have a screaming business selling this if it were an mp3 player and preloaded with audio instructions for first time vapers!

asnider123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2010
BTW, does this thing look like an enlightened blue cartoon penguin with teeth to anybody else?!?! And, no, I am not intoxicated in any way! :lol:

I can imagine you would have a screaming business selling this if it were an mp3 player and preloaded with audio instructions for first time vapers!

I was thinkin' a blue Pikachu or maybe a Digimon :)
pikachu01-Render_30690_640screen.jpg

Mudkipz_DIGIMON_OR_POKEMON-s421x544-136115-580.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread