Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
PresentingtheLea.jpg

A couple weeks ago, Celestino at Evcigarettes (one of vaping Guides’ newest advertisers) asked CyberWolf and me to review two of the models he carries. I was assigned the Lea from innokin (distributed by Boge) and I approached the assignment with some trepidation, being underwhelmed by a video review I had seen of it. I shared my concerns with Celestino and he told me to go for it, come hell or high water.

After about an hour’s use (which I’ll tell you about), I let out a big sigh of relief: This thing is pretty good; in fact it may be ideal for many vapers!

[NOTE: There are many great photos of the Lea on the Evcigarettes and Innokin websites, but I’m greedy. I’ve ripped from other sources also, acknowledging as I use them. I am especially indebted to Jackal3 of White Stag Vapor, who has posted some wonderful ones here on ECF.]

What Is It?

The Lea is, in effect, a longer, more slender eGo-T with a smaller tank and some neat additional features.

LeaandeGo-T.jpg

In this short video review, Jen (mergryphon on ECF, GeekGirlVaper on YouTube) provides an effective introduction to this PV (which she received from White Stag Vapor):

Highlights

Like the eGo-T, the Lea has a 650 mAh, passthrough-capable battery, with an ON/OFF setting built into switch button (press three times).

Leabattery-PTandon-off.jpg

It also has a clear, non-leaking, easy-to-fill tank (but with a soft cap, which I’ll talk about later). The Lea tank is smaller than the eGo-T’s type A tank (and therefore also type B), holding 15 drops of juice.

Leatankclose-up-annotated.jpg

The Lea is 510-compatible, but not eGo-compatible, i.e., all 510 atomizers and cartomizers fit and work just fine on the battery, but there is no cone threading for eGo-specific atomizers/cartomizers. The Lea atomizer’s battery connection doesn’t extend far enough to make contact with eGo-type batteries.

Leabattandatty-connectionsview.jpg

[photos courtesy of VapeLite]

Unique additional features include an LED surrounding the switch button displaying four possible colors (green, yellow, orange, red), which indicate charge remaining…

LeamulticolorLED.jpg

…and a pen-clip cover. With that cover on, the Lea looks like a handsome fountain pen.

fullyassembledLea.jpg

Specs:

• Total length (i.e., when clipped to your pocket or purse): 150mm – same as the Leo and appreciably longer than the eGo-T
LeoLeaeGo-Tlengths.jpg

[top two photos courtesy of Jackal3 of White Stag Vapor]

• Length without cap (i.e., while vaping): 140mm – a bit shorter than the Leo without cap

• Diameter: 13.5mm – more slender than the eGo (on left of photo) and much more slender than the Leo (on right)
eGoLeaLeodiameters.jpg
[photo ripped from pbusardo’s video review]

• Tank capacity: 15 drops – less than other tanks
Leatankwithcapremoved-Jackal3.jpg
[photo courtesy of Jackal3 of White Stag Vapor]

• Battery is a regulated 3.5V and atomizer is 2.7Ω, yielding a continuing 4.5-watt vaping experience and a low, be-kind-to-atty 1.3 amps of current.

The Starter Kit

Leakit.jpg

For (less than)* $50, EVcigarettes will send you all of the items shown above, i.e., an attractive box containing:

• 1x Innokin Lea 650 mAh 3.5V Manual Battery - Glossy Black
  • 1x Innokin Lea Atomizer (2.7 ohm) - Stainless Steel
  • 1x Innokin Lea Pen-Style Cover - Glossy Black
  • 6x Innokin Lea Tank Cartridges (one of which is pre-inserted in the atty)
  • 1x Retractable USB Cord
  • 1x USB A/C Power Charger Adaptor
  • 1x Instructions Manual (in authentic Chinesed English)
  • PLUS (not shown in photo) two 10-ml bottles of e-liquid (in your choices of flavor and nicotine strength)

Additional/Replacement Parts

Leaspareparts.jpg

You may want to supplement the starter kit with an extra battery and atomizer and/or other items, available from EVcigarettes as follows:

* Use Coupon Code ECF15% for 15% off!

My Experience

The first hour was rough. As pbusardo reported in his review, that atomizer takes awhile to break in … and I had problems with the pre-inserted tank.

Unlike the eGo-T tanks, the cap (easily removable for filling) is soft and rubbery and too easily removable … and therein lies the rub: that cap can get stuck on the atomizer spike. And I had a devil of a time prying it out. [A pair of tweezers would have helped:oops:, which I have since purchased.]

Leatankcapgetsstuckonspike.jpg

[photos (prior to manipulation) courtesy of Jackal3 of White Stag Vapor]

This happened more than once and, in general, that pre-inserted tank just didn’t seem to be very effective. I gave up on it and tried another, which performed much better (although it did get stuck once).

The Lea generates a large amount of vapor.
Leavapor.jpg

[image ripped from blogunguy’s video review]

The flavor and TH are pleasing but somewhat muted. All in all, a very similar vaping experience to the eGo-T.

The switch button is metal rather than plastic and a bit smaller than the eGo’s, extending further out. It is wobbly, but engages easily and reliably with an audible click. I thought it would be uncomfortable to press, but it is not.

LeamulticolorLED.jpg

I really like that LED charge indicator. Since I also use other PVs, I can lose track of how much time I’ve been vaping any one of them. It’s nice to know when it is approaching time to recharge … rather than being caught by surprise with a pooped out battery.

Because I am pretty much a stay-at-home guy, I’ve not made much use of the pen clip cover, but I can see how it would be very useful to most vapers, e.g., as demonstrated by mergryphon in her review.

Leapen-clipcover.jpg

Although some vapers might prefer a larger capacity tank, I like it. I don’t have any one juice that I love enough to vape through 2-4 ml worth without switching off.

Since TH is especially important to me, I’m using the neat Lea battery primarily with LR cartomizers … and I’m loving it! For example, with a Smok Tech Dual Coil, it is a wonderful vaping experience … and that long slender black PV (batt, carto, and drip tip) with stainless steel trim looks great too. Shown below is the Lea battery with the smaller Boge carto and without drip tip.

LeabattwithBogecarto.jpg

[photo courtesy of Jackal3 of White Stag Vapor]

Recommendations

Leacomponentslinedup.jpg

I think the Lea would be a wonderful PV for anyone who likes its looks (as I do) and/or unique features (e.g., that pen-clip, ON/OFF setting, and battery charge LED indicator) … especially if you are:

• A new vaper who was not a heavy smoker (and therefore you don’t necessarily want intense throat hit).

• An experienced vaper whose priorities are vapor production, convenience, and appearance.
In addition, anyone will appreciate that neat battery, which works so well with 510 cartomizers and atomizers … and with other cartos and attys using an adapter. [For example, my black EastMall 801 atomizer on my Lea battery is my new penstyle!] Seasoned vapers don’t even have to get the charger; the Lea batt will work with any standard USB cable.

Leabattery.jpg

And I see no point in buying a standard 510 passthrough (other than those special 5V ones). What a great 510 PT this is!

Leapasstrhough.jpg

And that’s the truth!

Last edited:

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
Great review! I purchased a lea last week and I'm now thoroughly enjoying it (having since ordered another battery and atomizer.)

My primary pv is an ego 1000mah and an LR atty (plus drip tip) but I wanted to try something new. I'd already been through both the ego-T and ego-T LR (both utter failures even after hours of wick adjustments; I was vaping more burnt atomizer than juice.)

So, after reading a few initial reviews I decided to pounce on the lea and less than a week later I've concluded that this will be my pv of choice for the foreseeable future!

There are a few negatives as I can't use my favorite juice, FSUSA Wyatt Earp (to thick.)
Also, as mentioned above, the tank cap does get stuck - causing the juice to drain into the battery.

The reason I run into the tank cap issue often is because the tank does need to be pulled out and re-inserted every 5 or so draws (to release the vacuum around the wick.) I'm being more careful, but hope the tank can be modified in the future to cling a little better to the tank (and maybe there will be a solution that will negate the need to "burp" the tank.)

That said, DK-Tab works great in the lea and by holding one of the atty airholes closed, I get much richer hits with TH and vapor production that rivals dripping with an ego.

Overall, a great system and the battery features (along with passthrough) make it a great piece of kit that will provide massive clouds of vaper production.

Now I just want an LR version of the atty and I'll be in heaven.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Thank you, zredsox:
  • For being the first person to reply to my post (after numerous views with no comment)!
  • For your kind words.
  • For your excellent tips!
Personally, I really don't like tanks (of any kind)*, e.g., compared to some of today's great cartomizers or to direct dripping in atomizers. But, since I know that many people do, the Lea could indeed be a very sound choice. I do like everything else about the Lea ... and, as I said in the review, I am making good use of that fine battery.

* I'm very glad that you prefer the Lea tank to the eGo-T's. I found them comparable ... and both are far better than those G4 things.​

Last edited:

Jacinda222

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2010
Salt Lake, Utah
Nice detailed review! I got a Lea from NHaler last week, and am loving it. In fact, I just ordered another one today. :)

I've been using the eGo-T for several months now, and I have been fairly happy with it. Have had to do some dinking around with it to solve leaking/dry hits/gunked up coils, but all in all the tank was a feature I really appreciated. I have to say though, so far I like the Lea much better.

The vapor is quite a bit thicker than what I get from the eGo-T. I would guess that I've been going through about 50% more juice. Which I don't have a problem with, since I make my own. I've adjusted my nicotine levels accordingly to avoid the too-much-nic headache. Also, I have been flavoring it pretty heavily to be satisfied with the tanks, I'll probably cut back a little though since I seem to be getting a lot more flavor from this than I did with the eGo-T.

I have run into the cap coming off when removing the tank from the atomizer, but after it happened a couple of times I tried twisting the tank and pulling it out gently, and so far I haven't had that problem again. Although I do find that the silicone cap is a bouncy little bugger, and several times have had it flip out of my fingers and get lost for a couple of minutes. (Maybe I'm just klutzy that way though.)

I don't have any issue like what zredsox talked about having with a vacuum being created and having to release the pressure. Mine vapes like a champ the whole time.

I adore the battery charge indicator feature. Yes, adore! And the pass-through while charging is pretty awesome too.

All in all, very happy with my Lea!

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
Personally, I really don't like tanks (of any kind)*, e.g., compared to some of today's great cartomizers or to direct dripping in atomizers. But, since I know that many people do, the Lea could indeed be a very sound choice. I do like everything else about the Lea ... and, as I said in the review, I am making good use of that fine battery.

I've been a dripper since day one (July 7th is my first vaporversary!) but in the summer I'm outside quite a bit (riding the mower, etc.) and I've been on the lookout for a tank system that fits my needs. I agree that while this isn't going to offer up the same experience as dripping (especially with an LR atty or HV PV) it is good enough to warrant a look by those that seek convience. It's going to be in my car and will be used extensively in my backyard.

I'm very glad that you prefer the Lea tank to the eGo-T's. I found them comparable ... and both are far better than those G4 things.

For some reason, my ego-T's always burned dry. I ran though a bunch of attys (really wanting it to work) but I could not get the vapor moisture level to satisfactory - unless I played around with the wick to the point of it leaking.

I do know there are type B attys now and maybe things have improved in the last six months (I had grabbed the first batches of both the regular and later the LR.)

I don't have any issue like what zredsox talked about having with a vacuum being created and having to release the pressure. Mine vapes like a champ the whole time.

I think it has something to do with the thickness of the juice (what is your PG/VG mix?) What happens is a bubble forms around the wicking tube and it is my belief that it somewhat impedes the wicking process. As soon as I slightly lift the tank, I'll see a bubble rise and then the next draw is generally thicker. I'm going to have to experiment further (with different juices, etc) to see if I can nail down the issue!

I also have resolved the cap issue (it falling off in the atty.)

1. I hold it upside down (just in case!)
2. I also do the twisting motion like you mentioned. No problems since.

Agreed, the little stopper can be finicky. I need good light as it does not just pop in and need to see where it goes and guide it in with a steady hand.

Last edited:

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
Thank you, zredsox:

For being the first person to reply to my post (after numerous views with no comment)!
For your kind words.
For your excellent tips!

I always enjoy your reviews and of course, last year when I wanted to quit analogs, your guides were instrumental and enlightening. :D

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
I enjoyed it too much, just ordered one.
Thanks for the detail in your review.
I see. So now I am at fault for your shaky finances!;-)

Seriously: Thanks, unkstur ... and Jacinda! Hope you enjoy your Lea, unkstur, as much as Jacinda and zredsox ... and so many others!

GobblerHunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Milton, NC
Just got my Innokin Lea out of the mail box today. After going through 3 tanks, I am pleased with the purchase. It does lack the TH but, I'm hoping it may get better as the atty gets broke-in in a few days. I had already read about the tanks stopper getting stuck on the atty. I just give it a slight twist as I remove the tanks and it stays attached to the tank. I have already ordered an extra atty and some more tanks and some 510 cartos to try on the Lea battery. This is the 4th PV I've purchased since I started vaping about 6 months ago and quit analogs after 30+ years. I guess you never stop looking for that PV that gives you the analog hit without all the bad stuff of analogs...............

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
In the process of doing his own review, Terrephon stumbled onto a potentially dangerous flaw in the Lea battery, which occurs only in a unique situation: turning the battery OFF (the three button presses) while plugged into a power source. It is discussed in this thread.

Actually, I have not replicated it myself, but he clearly demonstrates it with his battery in this video.

Personally, I don't consider this to be a deal breaker, but users certainly should be aware of it.

ID510

Apr 17, 2011
Idaho
In the process of doing his own review, Terrephon stumbled onto a potentially dangerous flaw in the Lea battery, which occurs only in a unique situation: turning the battery OFF (the three button presses) while plugged into a power source. It is discussed in this thread.

Actually, I have not replicated it myself, but he clearly demonstrates it with his battery in this video.

Personally, I don't consider this to be a deal breaker, but users certainly should be aware of it.

Had this happen to me once when the unit was fully charged on USB passthrough and have not been able to replicate it since...
I just disconnected it from the USB port and went on vaping....

I also had the little button stick on me once or twice, but it hasn't happened again after more use....guess it broke in.
To me, it's not a "fire hazzard"...more of a hazzard of burning out the atomizer if you do not maintain your situational awareness...

It's not a deal breaker for me as I like the fact that the tank does not leak and the fact that the battery works great with a 510 LR atomizer....Also, the pen style cover is great!

I'm going to order a few more batteries and LEA Atomizers for my stash....
I'm sticking with this thing, I like it....maybe Innokin will work the kinks out..I think they have great little system here...

One thing to note, the LEA atomizer will not work on an ego battery as the airflow is different...it will fire, but you won't get any vapor....just something to note...

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
...To me, it's not a "fire hazzard"...more of a hazzard of burning out the atomizer if you do not maintain your situational awareness...
I agree. Just don't press the button three times while connected to a power source ... and remove the atomizer while charging (I always do this anyway).

One thing to note, the LEA atomizer will not work on an ego battery as the airflow is different...it will fire, but you won't get any vapor....just something to note...
Yes. I did mention this in the review, but may have mistakenly attributed the root of the problem:
The Lea is 510-compatible, but not eGo-compatible...The Lea atomizer’s battery connection doesn’t extend far enough to make contact with eGo-type batteries.​

unkstur

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2011
Tulsa
I got mine today, first PV I've got that needed charged, guess I'm spoiled.
I tried reproducing the lock up all through the charge and even after and can't make it do it.
Not saying it won't but seems OK to me under normal use I guess.

It is a rather light feeling hit. I plan on using it with stronger nic and the wife will prolly
steal it soon anyway...

Still not sure why I thought I needed it, know what I mean?

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
Well, less than two weeks in and one of my two batteries from Evcigarettes no longer charges (no light on the unit comes on when it is plugged in; passthrough no longer works; the other battery will still properly charge and works with passthough using same atty and charger cord.)

So my eGo batteries average about 5 months and the Lea batteries 12 days. Hmm, I guess that is the rub.

I was enjoying my Lea, but I'm not planning on dumping any more money into batteries.

GobblerHunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Milton, NC
Lea update after a week of use. No major problems encountered. Tanks hold about 12 drops of juice. Battery life seems to be good, I get about 4 or 5 tanks to a battery charge. Haven't seen the sticking button issue yet. Vapor is still as it was when new. I have cleaned the atty once with no problems or drop in vapor. I have tried some 50/50 juice and it seems to vape just as well as 80/20. I have used a 510 carto and get great vapor and TH from the carto. One tank leak so far, it was traced down to the silicone stopper. They do seem to waller out the hole and lose the seal around the tube after extended use. Hopefully, somebody will sell just the stoppers for the tank. For me the Lea a keeper.........

zredsox

Jul 5, 2010
Maine
Well, less than two weeks in and one of my two batteries from Evcigarettes no longer charges

I want to offer an update:

Evcigarettes.com has been great (contacting me right after my initial post) and a replacement battery is on the way. I definitively appreciate the exceptional customer service.

I might be stuck with only a single battery for a few days, but the one I have is working great and I'm using the pass through option as I type this before I need to get mobile. Such is the versatility of the Lea.

Honestly, it would be hard to go back to an eGo (of any configuration) so I am very happy that I bought from the right supplier and can feel confident in the value of my purchase.

Both my attys are well seasoned and I'm getting exceptional vapor - with TH (Wyatt Earp + menthol crystals = kick!)

I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:

VeeDubb65

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Monmouth, OR
Unlike the eGo-T tanks, the cap (easily removable for filling) is soft and rubbery and too easily removable … and therein lies the rub: that cap can get stuck on the atomizer spike. And I had a devil of a time prying it out. [A pair of tweezers would have helped, which I have since purchased.]

I had the same problem, but I also found a very simple solution that has (so far) been 100% effective for me.

Just twist the tank as you remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread