Not open for further replies.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Steve-McQueen-Fire-Chief.jpg

Steve is here, we're all going to be OK. He said not to use Chinese chargers in chevys with 60's technology - (I think that's what he said as he's hard to understand as he always has a cigarette in his mouth.)

Never mind anyway, he's taken his jacket off, we know it's going to be OK.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
I only posted an image for some comic relief. You are the one who made an uncalled-for comment to me. I've read of no objections to my so-called behavior on the forum, although defending myself in this post may well be called unnecessary by a moderator and "stirring the pot" as you called it. I had been supportive of you since your return, but I now see there's been no change. That's all that I will say on the topic. Have a good evening.

Moderators, I appologize for the distraction. A particular person is going on my ignore list so I can stay out of trouble here.

Baditude you've been on my ignore list for months. I don't consider you "supportive" toward me. I've seen your arguing on the forum. So lets keep it civil that all I ask. And I don't need the same old from you when its old now. :)

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Very curious how you equate being absolved with guilt when I clearly said responsibility, twice.
"Do you think she's absolved of all responsibility..."
"...absolving her of all responsibility"

So you think having to be responsible makes someone guilty? Interesting.

I think, as I said, the word is emotive in this context, and suggests there is some guilt in the first place. Absolution is a term usually associated with guilt rather than responsibility. This argument doesn't fly anyway - I'm not responsible for this lady. It seems to be very important for you to blame me and try and make me look like I'm excusing some negligent behaviour. But I don't buy that. I'm not calling her stupid or blaming her for using a product she bought.
This is informative for ECFers:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...61-exploding-mods-update-february-2012-a.html
In part:
Models such as the eGo and Riva are not likely to explode in use because they have integral protection. If they all had end plugs it would also help - those with a bottom-end USB charge facility in effect have a blowout plug. Others have a sealed lower end. As single-cell units, the risk is low.

However they seem to suffer from more meltdowns than any other type, usually while on charge - perhaps because the load on them is generally higher (when using LR fittings for example) than on the minis, and the management circuitry being similar; or due to charger faults. As they seem to fail while being charged, there may also be a conflict between the charger requirements for different models: some may need a protected charger, others may require a 5 volt supply, and if they are used with the wrong type then overcharging may result.

So perhaps you could tell me:
Car outlets are designed for plugging stuff in, and charging. They are commonly 12 volts and newer cars also have extra 5 volt outlets.
Question, again - which kind did the lady plug her ecig into?

Maybe we should be examining why there is a lack of common sense. Every ring I had sold or repaired in my 30 some years as a jeweler has the potential to rip someone's finger off, cut their finger and smash onto their finger. Rings are meant to be worn on fingers. Yet I don't have to go around warning people they could rip their finger off doing something as simple as shutting a door (sometimes I do).
I have never had a single person seemingly set up what they think would be a deep pockets lawsuit trying to blame me for their own stupidity.

I think the lawsuit is what upsets people - and I don't like it either. And I've said that more than once now. I don't get the litigous approach to life's misfortunes. Also - if this was a stupid thing to do - charging an ecig in a car -then what do we do to assist people and help them - because I have not seen any warnings telling people not to use ecig car chargers. So if there is a problem then lets define it beyond simply saying people are using "junk" - to their mind after what they pay on some sites they think it should work. New vapers don't know all these things - that's why I have spent so much time here helping them. They are trying to figure out how an ecig works and what a clearomizer is and how you fill a carto. Are there lot's of posts from you advising people not to use these ecig car chargers?

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I think, as I said, the word is emotive in this context, and suggests there is some guilt in the first place. Absolution is a term usually associated with guilt rather than responsibility. This argument doesn't fly anyway - I'm not responsible for this lady. It seems to be very important for you to blame me and try and make me look like I'm excusing some negligent behaviour. But I don't buy that. I'm not calling her stupid or blaming her for using a product she bought.
This is informative for ECFers:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...61-exploding-mods-update-february-2012-a.html
In part:

So perhaps you could tell me:
Car outlets are designed for plugging stuff in, and charging. They are commonly 12 volts and newer cars also have extra 5 volt outlets.

I think the lawsuit is what upsets people - and I don't like it either. And I've said that more than once now. I don't get the litigous approach to life's misfortunes. Also - if this was a stupid thing to do - charging an ecig in a car -then what do we do to assist people and help them - because I have not seen any warnings telling people not to use ecig car chargers. So if there is a problem then lets define it beyond simply saying people are using "junk" - to their mind after what they pay on some sites they think it should work. New vapers don't know all these things - that's why I have spent so much time here helping them. They are trying to figure out how an ecig works and what a clearomizer is and how you fill a carto. Are there lot's of posts from you advising people not to use these ecig car chargers?

You think the word is emotive meaning the issue is with you not the words I used or what I clearly said. But I think we already know you don't like the idea of people taking responsibility for their actions so it is understandable that you wouldn't want to take it yourself on what you think.
I look up the word and I see "free from blame".

It's unlikely you'll ever see me burned by an eGo battery going off while charging. But if you do it will be as much my fault as anyone else's because I was the one who put myself in front of that barrel.

You're right the lawsuit is what upsets people.
I don't necessarily say charging in the car while she's driving was the stupid thing. It was having it set up so it would burn her if it went off while charging that was stupid. It was not learning about this stuff before taking it up that was stupid.

Did you ever consider that new vapers should make an attempt to learn before they jump in? I know they won't but when they don't and then get ripped off or injured they only have themselves to blame.

No there aren't any posts from me saying not to use those chargers. That is not my issue. I planned on getting one myself (but now will probably just get a bunch of 18650s for power outage emergencies).
My issue is she expects a $5 charger to be perfect. She expects batteries to not go up in flames.

Aren't you the one who's into RC? What would you call a newb who sets a battery pack to charging in their house and leaves for work and ends up burning their house down? Poor little newb didn't know better, or dumb newb should've learned before jumping in?

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
You think the word is emotive meaning the issue is with you not the words I used or what I clearly said. But I think we already know you don't like the idea of people taking responsibility for their actions so it is understandable that you wouldn't want to take it yourself on what you think.

"We"? getting a bit grand. I've seen enough of your smearing and ranting Myk. I'm all for personal responsibility and have spent hours assisting others with how to vape more safely. I've not done anything wrong by pointing out she was using the kind of product that ecig vendors commonly sell. She's no different to a lot of other vapers. So if using the car charger for the ecig is wrong then lets discuss why and what the problem is. On the other hand if this is one of those accidents, which can also happen in a persons home or at work - is it something that requires mass change of vaping habits or is it about a bad battery that shorted and was unavoidable from the consumers perspective? We don't know - we don't have all the info.
Again

No there aren't any posts from me saying not to use those chargers. That is not my issue. I planned on getting one myself (but now will probably just get a bunch of 18650s for power outage emergencies).
My issue is she expects a $5 charger to be perfect. She expects batteries to not go up in flames.

Catch-22.It's ok to buy and use one but don't expect it not to burst into flames. Of course she didn't expect it to explode. The reality is many people are not going to do lots of research before they buy an ecig - while some do many don't. They just buy a cigalike - maybe a disposable, and vape it. They want to quit smoking. Some are desperate. Instead of calling them stupid - lets try and help the ones we can. And if you think its fine to use a car charger then why is a new vaper going to be any different. As I've said in other posts, I prefer not use them because I don't want to be driving if something goes wrong.

Aren't you the one who's into RC? What would you call a newb who sets a battery pack to charging in their house and leaves for work and ends up burning their house down? Poor little newb didn't know better, or dumb newb should've learned before jumping in?

No -I've never been into RC. And I have always advised against leaving batteries to charge unattended. You're completely off base.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
"We"? getting a bit grand. I've seen enough of your smearing and ranting Myk. I'm all for personal responsibility and have spent hours assisting others with how to vape more safely. I've not done anything wrong by pointing out she was using the kind of product that ecig vendors commonly sell. She's no different to a lot of other vapers. So if using the car charger for the ecig is wrong then lets discuss why and what the problem is. On the other hand if this is one of those accidents, which can also happen in a persons home or at work - is it something that requires mass change of vaping habits or is it about a bad battery that shorted and was unavoidable from the consumers perspective? We don't know - we don't have all the info.
Again

Catch-22.It's ok to buy and use one but don't expect it not to burst into flames. Of course she didn't expect it to explode. The reality is many people are not going to do lots of research before they buy an ecig - while some do many don't. They just buy a cigalike - maybe a disposable, and vape it. They want to quit smoking. Some are desperate. Instead of calling them stupid - lets try and help the ones we can. And if you think its fine to use a car charger then why is a new vaper going to be any different. As I've said in other posts, I prefer not use them because I don't want to be driving if something goes wrong.

No -I've never been into RC. And I have always advised against leaving batteries to charge unattended. You're completely off base.

Again, stores sell ammonia and chlorine, that doesn't make the responsible for people who kill themselves with ammonium chloride.

If people are driving around charging ego batteries sticking out of their dash I guess there needs to be a change in habits.
But like you said newbies won't learn until they burst into flames so I don't know how you propose to teach them.

There's no catch-22. I expect my truck will have a flat tire. That doesn't keep me from using it. That keeps me respectful when I use it so I don't go spinning down the highway at 120mph when I have a blowout.

If the dumb people who get ripped off or blown up want a shoulder to cry on while they blame someone else for their self imposed ignorance I guess it's your job to provide that shoulder. I'm telling them they're responsible because they didn't look before leaping.

What good does you advising not to charge unattended do? You claim few learn first. Remember? Ignorance is an excuse.

She is responsible is all. It was up to her to learn that batteries can explode and not have herself set up to be in the way of that flame if it should ever happen. Yes she was using the item as it was intended, and the item did what the item's potential dictates is a possibility but in her ignorance she naturally ignored.
She's seeking a deep pockets lawsuit that is equivalent to suing a tire store because she got a flat after running over broken glass and wrecked her car.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
Again

U sir are why lawyers exist. Sorry had to be said.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Again, stores sell ammonia and chlorine, that doesn't make the responsible for people who kill themselves with ammonium chloride.

Not sayin they are - and if they use it they way its meant to be used they shouldn't end up dead. So I don't see what counterpoint this is here - its exactly what I'm saying - we buy stuff and use it. We don't expect to end up injured or dead with every product we use.

If people are driving around charging ego batteries sticking out of their dash I guess there needs to be a change in habits.
But like you said newbies won't learn until they burst into flames so I don't know how you propose to teach them.

Well this is more what I was thinking about - do we need to look at this and advise people if there is a risk with the car chargers or not? I think lots of people do it - is it a bad thing to do? If we are going to advise people then its simple how to do that - by telling them, just like we do with other aspects of vaping.

There's no catch-22. I expect my truck will have a flat tire. That doesn't keep me from using it. That keeps me respectful when I use it so I don't go spinning down the highway at 120mph when I have a blowout.

As a logic this argument doesn't work for me -now I'm not saying we shouldn't take responsibility. But if I follow this logic then if I am driving my car and some-one swerves across the centre line, hits me and I end up permanently disabled - I'm stupid because I drove a car knowing that some-one else could possibly drive into me. So this argument doesn't work for me because it basically says we are all stupid for living in a world which has plenty of risks. I could stop driving - but then something else could happen. I want to be responsible but not paranoid. So the logic doesn't follow through for me - and I still don't see that the lady did anything wrong, based on whats known.

If the dumb people who get ripped off or blown up want a shoulder to cry on while they blame someone else for their self imposed ignorance I guess it's your job to provide that shoulder. I'm telling them they're responsible because they didn't look before leaping.

I think you're too harsh here. Accidents happen in life and aren't always predictable or preventable. She was sitting in the front seat while it charged - so? That's what vapers have been doing for some time. Where should she sit - on the roof?

And let me be clear - I've said it enough times - I don't like that she is taking a lawsuit.

What good does you advising not to charge unattended do? You claim few learn first. Remember? Ignorance is an excuse.

But that's the point - if they are learning and listening then we tell them - not charging unattended means they are there if something goes wrong. They have a better chance to deal with it. I've seen posts on the forum where peoples batteries exploded and they were there and able to prevent a major fire. If it was a known risk that has warnings that would be one thing. But it isn't - I'v e been vaping 15 months and have read countless pages about vaping. But I have not seen any warnings about ecig car chargers. Ignorance of what? According to you if we use something and it hurts us unexpectedly we are the stupid dumb ignorant person even if we use the product exactly how its meant to be used.
I'm starting to think that you are advocating a lack of responsibility - you want to castigate people without giving any guidelines or specific reasons.
I keep asking - is it wrong to use an ecig charger? Why? Is it any more risky than driving a car? Should we stop driving? If some-one has learned driving safety, defensive driving, drives carefully, and some-one crosses the centre line and hits them -this makes them dumb and stupid for driving in the first place on roads with other cars?? If I use the logic of your argument you blame them for being on a road in proximity to other cars and then take a castigating approach.

She is responsible is all.
[It was up to her to learn that batteries can explode and not have herself set up to be in the way of that flame if it should ever happen.

Then we'd live pretty paranoid and restrictive lives - we'd never use a lap top or mobile phone because they might explode. We'd never drive. We'd wouldn't go jogging because some random person might mug us. We wouldn't go near power lines - they can fall and kill you. We wouldn't cook anything with an electrical oven - what if it bursts into flames? And no gas bottles for barbecues either. And the list goes on... Cmon now. :D

Or we could be responsible - be aware of how things should be used and use them that way, and also know that sometimes things happen beyond our prediction or control. I don't like the lady's lawsuit, but I draw the line at calling her stupid and dumb for doing something that vapers have been doing for years and without alarm being sounded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread