The dangers of being a Gadget Fiend, and getting back to basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

likeatrainwreck

Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Stockport, UK
First off I'd like to say that I am unashamedly a gadget fiend. Always have been, always will be. Whether it's mobile phones, swiss army knives, hifi parts, bike parts, flashlights, new art materials, power tools, kitchen gadgets, garden gadgets, whatever. they all make me go weak at the knees...

I'm new to the forum so I thought I'd share my ecig gadget adventure, and my eventual return to basics and discover the vaping nirvana and see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Having just turned 30, and having failed miserably on numerous occasions to kick a 15 year analog habit I bought an ecig (one of the mass manufactured, over priced "real cig" style ones) on a bit of a whim after hearing a radio program about them. I was amazed when it helped me quit the smokes pretty much instantly. Being the gadget fiend I am I got on the internet and started doing some research and uncovered this amazing (and baffling) world of ecigs that I never even knew existed! I quickly bought a vision eGo kit with clearomizers as a bit of a blind purchase to be honest as I had no idea what the difference between cartomisers, atomisers, tanks etc etc were back then.

Now the flood gates were truly open... My gadget gland went into overdrive and in the 2 months since purchasing that eGo kit i have amassed a small army of vaping paraphernalia. What I found is that my lust for gadgets led me to buy more and more complex and fancy looking devices which, as I will explain in a moment, have all fallen by the wayside for a much simpler approach to vaping.

I felt that to achieve the best vaping experience I would require the most elaborate, feature rich VV device and carto-tank set up available. The chronogical progression of my gadget fiendery is as follows:

1. Mini ecig kit from skycigs
  2. eGo kit with clearomiser tanks
  3. LR cartomisers to go with said eGo
  4. DCT with LR cartos
  5. VV lavatube
  6. HR cartos for 6v vaping
  7. HR cartos in my DCT
  8. LR & HR 510 attys for direct dripping
  9. LR 306 attys with cannon style drip tip
  10. good sense 306 DCA for use with 306 attys (the BEST thing ever in my opinion)

It was only on the purchase of the 306 DCA that my opinions on fancy vaping gadgetery started to change. Direct dripping using a LR olympian 306 in my DCA, and vaping at 3.7v is hands down the best vaping experience I have had, and yet probably the simplest set up I have used to date. It goes against all my gadget fiend sensibilities but I have had to admit that sometimes, the simple things just work. I haven't had my Lavatube off 3.7v since, and now I wonder whether I actually need a VV device at all?

I have recently ordered a Touchwood Mini (10 weeks waiting list.... doh), and you can't get much simpler than that, fully mechanical 3.7v mod, made from brass and wood! Coupled with my DCA and a LR 306 atty, I don't see why I would ever need to use another device.

Has anyone else fallen into the trap of buying more and more complex and expensive ecig equipment in the quest for vaping perfection, only to discover that the most beautiful things in life are sometimes the simplest? Has anyone else got a massive box full of tanks, cartos, PVs and batteries that they will probably never use again?

Sorry to ramble, but I really wanted to share my story.

Oh, and don't even get me started on my quest to try every juice flavour in the world, that's another story all together!!

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hello & welcome Likeatrainwreck :), I'm also in the UK :)

I started off with a super-mini ciggie lookalike, but their wasn't much choice of anything different 4 years ago :D Mainly stopped spending & buying alternatives since I got my early version GGTS a couple of years ago :)

Charlie C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome to the forums!

You best rent a storage facility.......
There's a ton of cool gizmo's, gadgets and whatnot for the vaping Man.

In reality it is the PV that is somewhat easy even though there are hundreds out there.
Then it's tanks, clearo's, carto's and whatever else is used to hold the liquid.

For me though it's all about the juice and I have tried about 100 different types and 75 flavors so far.

I'm STILL looking for my allday vape juice........
Best of luck to ya.......

Charlie

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Have you tried variable wattage? I know you mention that your VV is set to 3.7, but your standard "3.7v" battry will come off the charger at4.2v and fall as you use it. With the VV, luckily, you maintain 3.7v. With VW you don't count the resistance and volts, but rather you set the heat or watts that give you the satifaction you're after. I build my own coils on a rebuildable atomizer (oh? You didn't mention this little temptation!). With my varaible wattage bottomfed PV I don't have to worry with volts or ohms. I simply wrap a coil. The watts are set to the heat I prefer and the electronics do the rest to give me the same, satisfying vapor every time.

I spent quite a bit of money through the learning curve of e-cigs before finding my "sweet spot".. now, it's on to my DIY nicquids for that perfect blend of TH and vapor with the proper amount of sweetness in a flavor that I can savor for all-day use.

I say these things to tempt you into never stop exploring, learn how to build the thing which will provide the satisfaction that you seek and to support you with another gadget hoarder's tale.

Peer pressure... check out rebuildable atomizers, bottomfeeders and variable wattage devices. You never get to experience the scenery on the untravelled path.

Edit: My post is here to influence you to spend more money on crap that you have no idea about, but just can't resist. Happy vaping!

Last edited:

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
The closest I have to anything VV is when I use the kick in my iHybrid, but I like fully mechanical apv's, and honestly not even sure I like the kick in it. The next thing I want is a reo grand, and it might be something you would like being as you like dripping on a 3.7. Simple but powerful bottom feeder.

likeatrainwreck

Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
Stockport, UK
Hi Chrissie! Many thanks for that UK vendors list, that helped me (bankrupted me) no end when I first started!

Dougiestyle - To be honest, buying a rebuildable atomiser has been nagging at brain for a while now... I really don't know where to start choosing one, and they seem very expensive, are they really worth investing in? Give me a few inspirational marketing pointers to persuade me even more. 306 atomizers are definitely my favourite so far, am I going to achieve a similar result from a rebuildable? How often do you find yourself rebuilding one?

I've never been quite sure how a bottom feeder works? What are the benefits? I haven't come across any for sale in the UK. And as far as VW goes, I've never even heard of that! But that sounds right up my street, any advice?

Great, I shouldn't have started this thread, it's got me all fired up to buy stuff....

Last edited:

Anoob2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
central IL
I have to agree with Dougiestyle. I was content with my silver bullet and 1.7ohm cartos. I used that set up for about six months and was happy. But i decided i wanted to see what all the fuss was about with vv and rba s. I bought a scubgen rba off the classifieds on a whim (that i cant get right for the life of me yet) and the seller sent a Phoenix witch i now love to use i have more coming in the mail so i can try different wicks. I also got a vv gripper since it was cheap. Now my new fav vape is Phoenix wrapped as close to 1.5ohms set in the upper 4 volts.

My next purchase will definitely be some kind of variable wattage device so i can just figure out what watts i like and set it there so i dont have to worry about what ohms i wrap my coils at to simplify things. I may also look into a bottom feeder with an rba so i can take it out with me and not have to worry about having to drip or carry little bottles of eliquid with me.

But i do agree with you trainwreck there is something great about simple too. My sb is still my go to device for when i go to work or anywhere that i may break my device. Its nice to just fill some cartos and go, and i know it will get me through my day or night.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Ooooooh Boy latw, you are in SOOOOO much trouble now! Vaping has GADGETS! Lots n lots of gadgets! More gadgets than you could shake a stick at...I mean it's gadget heaven..ROFL. Welcome aboard! If you were smoking 1,000 cigarettes a day, you may break even in 2038 or thereabouts. :lol:

Hi Chrissie! Many thanks for that UK vendors list, that helped me (bankrupted me) no end when I first started!

Dougiestyle - To be honest, buying a rebuildable atomiser has been nagging at brain for a while now... I really don't know where to start choosing one, and they seem very expensive, are they really worth investing in? Give me a few inspirational marketing pointers to persuade me even more. 306 atomizers are definitely my favourite so far, am I going to achieve a similar result from a rebuildable? How often do you find yourself rebuilding one?

I've never been quite sure how a bottom feeder works? What are the benefits? I haven't come across any for sale in the UK. And as far as VW goes, I've never even heard of that! But that sounds right up my street, any advice?

Great, I shouldn't have started this thread, it's got me all fired up to buy stuff....

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
I bought a Reo Mini as part of a fund raiser. I didn't need it as I already have several PV's, but it was for a good cause. To my surprise, it has become perhaps my most used PV.

I never really understood the benefits of bottom feeders until I used the Reo. It gives you all the benefits of dripping but none of the hassle or mess. And, unlike tanks and clearos, your juice isn't surrounding an atomizer that's heating it up and making it dark and perhaps altering the taste.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
My rebuildable is one I made, myself. There is a how-to in the modders section. I adapted the design to use a CE2 center with posts added for coil contacts. When I squeeze the bottle of my bottomfeeder, the nicquid goes to the connector. A light suck on the driptip draws the nicquid to the cup/coil. My whole set-up is homemade. I use a metal project box. It has DNA 12 (VW function) from Evolv w/ passthru charger, Panasonic CGR18650CH, 6ml bottle connected to the underside of the 510 connector via silicone surgical & SS tube.

I'd advise a cheap RBA to see if you like to tinker with them. I bought a DiD, but it wasn't for me. The Phoenix-style ones can be had relatively cheap, and there are China knock-offs. Right now, I'm waiting on the A7 rebuildable to be delivered from Empiremods, so I can attempt a dual-coil set-up vs the single coil one that I'm obligated to, now. Smoktech has a Genesis-style on the market, now, also, if you want to see about that style prior to buying a better engineered/better build Genesis.

I like my bottomfed, as I am a one-flavor-per-week kinda vaper. I load my nicquid into the bottle once a day, get a fresh flavor every time I fire and don't worry about the thing until the next day.

As for your question about how often I have to rebuild the coil, well, i've been using the current one for 2-1/2 weeks with dry fire on ceramic wick to clean about once per week. I'm using 3M Nextel ceramic wick with 34awg nichrome wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread