The coil heats from one side first

tiluid

May 9, 2017
Bulgaria
Hello, people!

My build is with one coil:
SS316L, 28ga, 2.5mm, 7 wraps, 0.64ohm, 12w, spaced, on Bishop rta.

The problem is that the coil heats from one side first!

This is at the beginning, then, after a moment, as it should - from inside out.
This happens when the coil is cold. When it has been fired recently it is ok.
And it causes the cotton soon to gets burnt and dark more from the problem side that glows first.

I checked the posts and they are tight well enough.
I also fully disassembled the deck of the tank and cleaned every part.
And, finally, I changed the coil but all without any success.

I looked through the net for an answer, but nothing came out.
I would appreciate your help and ideas!

Best wishes and clouds!

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

the wind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
alabama
oops..thats strum
1683470356161.png

• Winner

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
From experience SS should not be dry burned

100% wrong!!!

Dry burning SS messes up the internal structure of it

That's misinformation!!!

Don't know where you got that from - - - it is NOT true.

Dry burning SS wire DOES NOT mess up the internal wire structure - - - if it is done properly.

You might like to know, for future reference, that many VERY HIGHLY EXPERIENCED vaper's dry burn their SS coils - - - without issue.

I've been using SS wire for very many years!!!

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
SS316L, 28ga, 2.5mm, 7 wraps, 0.64ohm, 12w, spaced, on Bishop RTA.

The problem is that the coil heats from one side first!

As The Wind posted above, strum your coil after you dry burn it, dry burn again to see if the coil heats up from the inside first. If not, restrum the coil and dry burn again.

I always dry burn my SS coil, but at low wattage, pulsating and avoiding glowing as a light bulb

You are doing it correctly. I dry burn my SS316L coils at low wattages. Like you, I never let the coil get beyond a very dim orange while dry burning. FWIW, that is the recommended dry burn procedure from those who make SS coils.

As far as I know titanium has not to be dry burned, but why not SS?!

SS wire is 100% safe to dry burn.

Disregard any poster who tells you differently, they are 100% wrong.

Last edited:

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
As The Wind posted above, strum your coil after you dry burn it, dry burn again to see if the coil heats up from the inside first. If not, restrum the coil and dry burn again.

You are doing it correctly. I dry burn my SS316L coils at low wattages. Like you, I never let the coil get beyond a very dim orange while dry burning. FWIW, that is the recommended dry burn procedure from those who make SS coils.

SS wire is 100% safe to dry burn.

Disregard any poster who tells you differently, they are 100% wrong.
That's a pretty widespread belief, for a long time I thought SS shouldn't be dry burned. In the end I was persuaded by multiple opinions that it was OK if you limited it to where it just started to glow. I keep my coil making mod at 5W which makes it easy to control.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you give a SS coil a good hard blast and get it glowing bright.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
That's a pretty widespread belief, for a long time I thought SS shouldn't be dry burned. In the end I was persuaded by multiple opinions that it was OK if you limited it to where it just started to glow. I keep my coil making mod at 5W which makes it easy to control.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you give a SS coil a good hard blast and get it glowing bright.

If a SS coil was given a good hard blast where it's glowing bright orange or nearly red - toss it. At that point the SS wire is trashed.

Somewhere in my browser bookmarks I have a couple links explaining in detail what exactly happens to SS wire when you dry burn to where the coil gets to glowing a very bright orange.

IIRC, the guy who owns WireOptim, might be someone else, has a couple great YouTube videos explaining how to properly maintain and dry burn SS wire.

When I'm using 27g SS316L simple round wire I dry burn between 6-7 watts. And only until the coil just starts glowing. The coil never gets beyond a very dull/dim orange color.

I then rinse the coil under some water from the faucet and repeat as needed.

Basic Clapton's need more power for a dry burn. The more exotic coils require even more power. Same concept though, dull/dim orange, same as you said, where the coil just starts to glow.

tiluid

May 9, 2017
Bulgaria
Many thanks for your replies and support!

The coil is spaced and there are no hot spots.
I see from your posts (and from my experience) that to dry burn a SS coil is OK if done properly.
But I think that the suggestion from @Mordacai who said:
Could be a weak point that's been created by tensioning the coil while installing it, as the thinnest part will have the highest resistance and heat up the most first.
is more likely to be true and the solution of the issue.

I'm going to change the coil and will find if the problem persists.
It's about 5-6months in use, but, except the above, works fine and I doubt the aging is the cause.

Best regards!

the wind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2012
alabama
Many thanks for your replies and support!

The coil is spaced and there are no hot spots.
Is it possible the heating of the coil to begin from one side to be caused of a bad connection of the parts of the tank? (Though I reassemble it once.)
I ask because I made and insert new coils two times and it's the same.
i've had the same problem before and would call it a hot spot.IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread