Switch amp limit and battery amp limits... someone help me figure this out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopistol

Apr 12, 2014
CALIFORNIA
The anti-vandal switch that comes with the paps inc v2 has a 2 amp limit. I was told that is not the same kind of amp limit that a battery has. So the question is, I guess, how is it different? How can we figure out how much power we are able to push through the switch? Not asking for resistance suggestions. I'm asking specifically, switch vs battery amp limits, how do they compare? How is a switch's amp limit calculated?

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
Its 2 amps is the limit through the switch. The rest really depends on how the switch is wired up. If all the power of the mod goes through the switch than 2 amps will be the limit on your builds (seems odd that a dual 18650 mod would be like this). If the switch runs a relay or VV/VW board it is only seeing a fraction of a amp at best no matter what the build is. I really can't find much info on the paps v2 to know which way it is made.

audiopistol

Apr 12, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Its 2 amps is the limit through the switch. The rest really depends on how the switch is wired up. If all the power of the mod goes through the switch than 2 amps will be the limit on your builds (seems odd that a dual 18650 mod would be like this). If the switch runs a relay or VV/VW board it is only seeing a fraction of a amp at best no matter what the build is. I really can't find much info on the paps v2 to know which way it is made.

The batteries run in parallel for the paps. Here is a picture of my paps with the anti-vandal switch taken out. It's got copper wires that go from 510 connection to switch. Then the 510 connection has a copper post looking connection the runs from the 510 to the positive connection for the batteries. Does this help?
6y7ageqe.jpg

D. Waterhouse

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
central WI USA
A limit is a limit. If a battery is pushed past it's limit it can go into thermal runaway and vent. If a switch is pushed past it's limit it can either burn out the contacts and not pass electricity or the contacts can weld shut and you won't be able to shut it off.

A switches amp limit is based on the size, conductivity, and heat resistance of the conductors and their spacing inside the switch.

2 amps seems very low most switches like that have a 3 to 10 amp limit depending on quality.

HughDaHand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2012
Swartz Creek, MI
Looks like all the power runs though that switch on the ground end. This makes the switch the weak link in this mod. So you need to keep the build under the amp limit of the switch. If your sourcing a new switch I would suggest getting one with the highest amp limit you can find. Sub ohming would burn up that 2 amp switch fairly quickly I would think.

audiopistol

Apr 12, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Looks like all the power runs though that switch on the ground end. This makes the switch the weak link in this mod. So you need to keep the build under the amp limit of the switch. If your sourcing a new switch I would suggest getting one with the highest amp limit you can find. Sub ohming would burn up that 2 amp switch fairly quickly I would think.

What kind of switch do you recommend I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread