Battery Amps Limit vs Switch Amp Limit... Who Knows The Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopistol

Apr 12, 2014
CALIFORNIA
The anti-vandal switch that comes with the paps inc v2 has a 2 amp limit. I was told that is not the same kind of amp limit that a battery has. So the question is, I guess, how is it different? How can we figure out how much power we are able to push through the switch? Not asking for resistance suggestions. I'm asking specifically, switch vs battery amp limits, how do they compare? How is a switch's amp limit calculated?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
The limits are actually more similar than different, they are the most amperage that can be used without the components suffering damage.

For a battery if your circuit draws more amperage than the battery is rated for, it may overheat vent, or if you're lucky simply reduce the life and usefulness of the battery. A battery that should last over a year, may only last a month (if it doesn't vent) before it doesn't hold a charge as well.

For a switch if your circuit draws more amperage than the switch is rated for, the switch may overheat, the internal insulation may be damaged, and when the contacts arc may increase its resistance. The switch that should last years, may only last a month, and may fail to turn on, or worse it may stick in the on position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread