Survey for my Methods of Analysis class on ECIG use. Please Participate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
4. On a scale of 1-10, how has your health (subjectively) changed since you switched from tobacco cigarettes?

This gave 3 options of "worse" "unchanged" and "better" not a scale?

8. Do you feel you will be able to eventually stop using nicotine completely using electronic cigarettes?

I answered "No" to this, but it is a leading question, because it assumes the respondent WANTS to quit nicotine or that quitting nicotine is the goal or reason why they use an e-cigarette. I feel confident that I could use it to quit nicotine if that was my intention, but it is not. I use my e-cigarette as an alternative to smoking, not as a nicotine cessation treatment. It's kind of a "So, Mr. Smith, did you murder your missing wife with a knife or a gun?" type of question. ;)

A better question may have been "Are you using the e-cigarette to eventually stop using nicotine completely?" and then "If you are using the e-cigarette to eventually stop using nicotine completely, how confident are you that you will succeed?" and then give an "N/A" option for people who answered the first question with "No."

Last edited:

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
I noticed this as well so thank you for the input. I didn't want to change the survey in the middle but if i need to do this again ill keep it in mind.

As fas the 3 scale that was typo :oops: its a subjective question so i figured a yes no uncertain would keep it simple. I actually wanted to ask a series of questions about doctors visits and those results but would have made the survey too long.

This gave 3 options of "worse" "unchanged" and "better" not a scale?

I answered "No" to this, but it is a leading question, because it assumes the respondent WANTS to quit nicotine or that quitting nicotine is the goal or reason why they use an e-cigarette. I feel confident that I could use it to quit nicotine if that was my intention, but it is not. I use my e-cigarette as an alternative to smoking, not as a nicotine cessation treatment. It's kind of a "So, Mr. Smith, did you murder your missing wife with a knife or a gun?" type of question. ;)

A better question may have been "Are you using the e-cigarette to eventually stop using nicotine completely?" and then "If you are using the e-cigarette to eventually stop using nicotine completely, how confident are you that you will succeed?" and then give an "N/A" option for people who answered the first question with "No."

Njt07

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2011
Ft Hood TX
UPDATE here is the survey data, I also updated the other thread in the general topics forum.

Thanks once again to all that participated, the survey is now closed.

100 Respondents from Electronic Cigarette Forum from 20 Mar 13 to 22 Mar 13. Upon review of this survey I could have reworded some of the questions and could have asked 2 more questions to better clarify if the respondents want to eventually reduce their nicotine consumption to 0.

1. Do you use electronic Cigarettes also known as personal vaporizers?
Yes: 100%
No: 0%

2. Did you use electronic cigarettes to switch from tobacco cigarettes (tobacco Harm Reduction)?
Yes: 97%
No: 3%

3. How would you rate the effectiveness of electronic cigarettes/personal vaporizers as an alternative to smoking tobacco cigarettes? 1 (ineffective) to 10 (highly effective).
1-7: 0% 8: 6% 9: 8% 10: 86%

4. How has your health (subjectively) changed since you switched from tobacco cigarettes (scale out of 3)?
Worse: 0%
Unchanged: 5%
Better: 95%

5. Do you still smoke tobacco cigarettes in addition to electronic cigarettes?
Yes: 5%
No: 95%

6: Have you used Nicotine Replacement Therapy (patches, gum, lozenges etc) to try quitting smoking?
Yes: 71%
No: 29%

7. How would you rate the effectiveness of Nicotine Replacement Therapy on a scale of 1 (ineffective) to 10 (highly effective).
1: 48.96%, 2: 14.58%, 3: 15.63%, 4: 4.17%, 5: 5.21%, 6: 4.17%, 7: 2.08%, 8: 1.04%, 9: 2.08%, 10: 2.08%
Average scale rating was 2.55 with 5 of 100 skipping this question.

8. Do you feel you will be able to eventually stop using nicotine completely using electronic cigarettes?
Yes: 79.38%
No: 20.62%
3 out of 100 skipped this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread