Smoking Facts - Nicotine Is Good For Your Health!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathyst

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yep.... when I was in several nursing homes the joke was that only those who smoked didnt get Alzheimer, Parkinson, or dementia.... Go fig haha

Just because you brought this "joke" up, I want to tell this story about my father.

This is purely anecdotal, a story from my own experience and perception, and I also used to always say it in jest (before I took quitting smoking seriously):

My father smoked all this life. A jazz piano player, cool guy. Alcoholic, quit drinking when he was 50, but kept smoking (more than one way). Well, around age 70, he quit smoking cigarettes...and voila -- he got Alzheimer's. Well, at least that's how it appeared to me and my brother, the two closest people to him. This was in 1988, and the next four years were so sad it still pains me to think about it, as he lost his sparking creative mind, went into the twilight zone. He died in 1992.

My brother and I would look at each other and say hmm...I think it might be better not to quit smoking cigarettes.

But that was then, and now, I am grateful for every day I have health, especially mental health. But I do find myself getting vaguely nervous -- always observing myself, my mental clarity. In any event, e-cigs are so incredible. I feel like things will undoubtedly be okay for me.

BTW, I'm also an alcoholic and druggie, clean and sober since 1985. So I've dealt with major demons...yet smoking/nicotine has been my thing throughout it all, and still is.

kathy

nickdutch

Jul 18, 2009
Doesn't it raise blood-serum concentration of LDL cholesterol?

If I have understood it right, Nicotine does increase the quantity of fat in the arteries, but it is the carbon monoxide and other sh@t that seriously significantly amplifies the problem. The CO is the worst, especially as it works with the nicotine to make matters worse.

So patches, gum, vaping and all the rest is still better than smoking anything. However it is even better to completely quit nicotine if you can.

not that i am goinbg to for a fair while. i am still glad about over 2 weeks as a non analogue smoker. one step at a time.

Nick

laughterhouse

Aug 5, 2009
USA
This is extremely scummy. The op is not a legitimate research article from an unbiased researcher, it is an advertisement for a nicotine-containing product. It doesn't provide any sources for its claims either.

Yes, most of the problems caused by smoking aren't specifically from the nicotine, however, there IS a correlation between nicotine use and increased risk for heart disease and pancreatic cancer. I know this happens at about the same rate as it does in caffeine users, but nonetheless, saying that it is good for you is completely false.

Everybody here (including myself) loves to use nicotine, but that doesn't give us the right to spread misinformation about it. Supporting our argument with lies only hurts us.

clear_blue27

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Pennsylvania, United States
Honestly, what doesn't cause something these days? Seems they can find cause\effect with just about anything. We are truly not safe to eat\drink\smoke, or just stand in the middle of the road. Geesh. :)

I agree with VelvetVisions. We are not safe with anything these days. Consuming too much of anything can't be good for you. Like sweets. If you eat a ton you'll get a belly ache.

Antha

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2009
Southeast Michigan
Originally Posted by VelvetVisions
Honestly, what doesn't cause something these days? Seems they can find cause\effect with just about anything. We are truly not safe to eat\drink\smoke, or just stand in the middle of the road. Geesh.

My BF is always going on that I should drink a regular "real" Coke instead of Diet Coke (I prefer the taste - reg Coke is way too sugary for me). He'll say, "I don't know...I've heard things about these artificial sweeteners being bad for you and could cause cancer".

At one point or another, haven't we all heard a news report that coffee/sugar/aspartme/something MAY cause this or MAY have a correlation linked to whatever? Its media sensationalism. With cigarettes, there are countless studies that prove that they cause different kinds of cancer - that's different. A 15 second news report talking about a "new study that suggests" seems to get some people attention, and if they hear enough of these little reports, they seem to think the phrase "May cause" means "Will cause".

I'm sick of everything causing this or that. If we only ate and drank things that had never been linked to anything bad, we would starve. Everything in the grocery store has been attacked and/or praised by one study or another.

I remember my mom heard on the news that chocolate has antioxidants in it and so it is good for you. Later, she was eating a few full-size candy bars and told me, "Its good for me". I don't know if she really believed that or was using the report as an excuse to indulge a little, but I think you get my point. Same goes for the "1 glass of wine a day may keep your heart healthier" - some people interpret that as "wine is healthy".

Until there are a substantial amount of studies proving something is horrible and causes, not MAY CAUSE or "is linked to" or "there is a correlation"...I'm going to drink my Diet Coke and enjoy it. Funny, because no one I know gets harassed for drinking coffee, but I get lectures on the "dangers of artificial sweeteners".

$igmund

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Liberty, NY
...I should drink a regular "real" Coke instead of Diet Coke...lectures on the "dangers of artificial sweeteners".

I've heard from a few people that my diet mt dew habit will make me gain weight because it makes you crave carbohydrates. I just explain that cookies and french fries make me crave carbs.

Regarding chocolate - I used to joke that I was fighting terrorism when eating chocolate - the antioxidants eliminate "free radicals".:D

back to nicotine - I saw a headline on the news this morning about nicotine being tested as a pain reliever. I didn't see the story though, I'll google it later.

Last edited:

umop apisdn

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Nicotine is definitely more harmful to you than caffeine, there's no doubt in my mind. All stimulants carry some damaging effect to your cardiovascular system, even sugar.

I won't say it's dangerous at the levels we vape or smoke, but long term use of it will strain your arteries more than if you didn't use it. But then again, some people get great benefits from nicotine and some just simply enjoy it. It might shorten your life by a few years, but at least it will make up for that in enjoyment.

I wouldn't say nicotine is good for your health though, that's just stepping a little too far. Of course there's going to be a certain spin on the viewpoints posted here, but even I think saying a stimulant is "good" for your health is just a little too much. It might improve your thinking/concentration/etc, but it still does cause extra strain on your body.

Compared to cigarettes though, nicotine is the last thing to worry about.

clear_blue27

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Pennsylvania, United States
Honestly, what doesn't cause something these days? Seems they can find cause\effect with just about anything. We are truly not safe to eat\drink\smoke, or just stand in the middle of the road. Geesh. :)
I agree on this one! My friend told me about a girl who drank too much water at a, water drinking contest. The girl died. From WATER! Isn't water like the best thing for you? Even water is bad if you chug thousands of glasses/bottles in one sitting.

nurse3766

Nov 25, 2009
virginia
There is aslo a link between schizophrenia and smoking.
Estimates for the number of schizophrenics that smoke range from 75% to 90%.
But I'm in two minds about that.

actually smoking is the patients method for self medicating there is no evidence at all that nicotine causes or exacerbates schizophrenia check out this article

Society for Neuroscience | Smoking and Schizophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread