Safest online payment method?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
You might look into your device's security and that of any WiFi or home network.

I only use my 1 year old PC for online shopping/buying, never tablet or phone. I always install all system security updates and never, ever store passwords, CC, or banking information on it. I get the messages asking if I want that information stored for future use and always say NO! I also use the full Norton's Internet Security and keep it current and doing daily scans. I know some use different and perhaps better individual programs, but I'm a K.I.S.S. type of guy and if all that is not good enough. it's time "the powers that be" work on this problem rather then worrying about e-cig flavor bans saving BT and BP.

Since my wife has her own laptop, tablet, and phone on this same system and has never had a hint of problems (and believe me, she out purchases me about 20 to 1 :shock:), I'm reasonably comfortable my system and computer have not been hacked.

Perhaps the biggest fly in the ointment is that CC companies, banks, and big businesses need to give a :censored:! How hard can it be to trace stolen CC usage to pay a huge cell phone bill to the individual making that payment?

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
Few years back I got hit with some pretty hefty fraudulent charges, not sure how that occurred. Possibly dummy terminals (card scammer on top of a legit reader, like at a public ATM or gas pump). Wasn't too hard to get it cleared up through my bank, but what sucks is that an Australian adventure vacation is something that I would have gone on anyways. :(

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Perhaps the biggest fly in the ointment is that CC companies, banks, and big businesses need to give a :censored:! How hard can it be to trace stolen CC usage to pay a huge cell phone bill to the individual making that payment?

I hear ya. As the old saying goes, building a better lock only tempts a better lock picker.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
I use Bluebird. Can reload at Walmart or from a bank account (which I don't). Use also it with Paypal for Ebay and oversea purchases. No fees and everyplace I order from takes American Express (which is what Bluebird is). I never have a balance of more than $10 except when I load it to purchase. It also acts like a debit in that a purchase can't go through unless there is enough funds on the card (hence my personal limit of no more than $10 most of time).

The biggest perk for me though is it helps with impulse buying. I drive by the closest Walmart every 3-4 days and only reload the card with cash at Walmart. If after the 3-4 days I still want to buy something, I stop and reload. If the immediate urge for the item(s) is gone, I just saved me some money. Also helps with the late night internet surfing buying urges.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I also thought of one more benefit that credit cards have over prepaid, and that's cash back.

Depending on which card you have, and which specific offers are available at the time, you can get a certain cash back percentage with every purchase, and if you buy a few things here and there, it adds up, and before you know it, you have enough earned in cash back to basically get a new mod for free or a bunch of coils or whatever.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I use Bluebird. Can reload at Walmart or from a bank account (which I don't).

Sounds good, but no Wally in my small town. Next town 30 miles away and only go there every couple weeks.

I also thought of one more benefit that credit cards have over prepaid, and that's cash back.

Depending on which card you have, and which specific offers are available at the time, you can get a certain cash back percentage with every purchase, and if you buy a few things here and there, it adds up, and before you know it, you have enough earned in cash back to basically get a new mod for free or a bunch of coils or whatever.

Been saving my cashback for a while now and have enough available for about 3 kits. :D But have my weber grille rotisserie ordered leaving me enough for one mod. Vaping and beer while watching a prime rib spin? Doesn't get any better then that! :drool:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
You got a lot of good information but I'd just like to add this link to the mix Before you click that "order" button Some good links in there to check out any site you might want to order from. I was bitterly disappointed to find one vendor I used to use was rated as an "F." :cry: I don't believe my info was ever compromised there but it was at another one. :(

Skimming off of gas stations at the pump are so widespread here that anyone with a brain pays inside. My card was stolen twice. They bought steroids and gym memberships. In Florida. I live on the other coast. :blink: Bank had no problem deleting the charges, they even found it funny as I told them I'd looked up a picture of the steroids, which a pic of some dude's abs on it, and I didn't even want my hamster looking like that.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Noevay

Moved On
Mar 23, 2018
  • Deleted by classwife

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I was hit once after swiping my BOA debit card at a local Walmart checkout. I was suspicious because it took several swipes to get it to read and that was the first time I'd had that problem. When I got home I checked my bank online site and found that someone had made 3 charges to Macy's New York online for $500 each and a $35 gas purchase in Atlanta. All that occurred before I got back home from Walmart.

While I was still online looking at charges my cell phone rang and it was Bank of America calling to tell me my card had been compromised. They deactivated my card, refunded the charges that we agreed were not legitimate, and mailed me a new card. I was impressed. I got the new card the next day in the mail.

My only suspicion was when the card reader was quirky. I didn't notice any kind of different device over the card reader slot. This was at a standard checkout where the employee scanned the items and bagged them. Maybe there was someone parked outside with a wireless device hacking sales terminal activity and recording data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread