ordering online w.o. a credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.

dielonnn

Jun 30, 2014
massachusetts
Okay so I am looking to put in a few different orders on a few diferent websites, mostly fasttech though.
I dont have a credit card or bank card anymore after a theft incident got my account closed, now my question is what would be a good card bought store like greendot or prepaid visa card that I can get that would work for these websites.

Ita important for me to get a card that I can reload with money over time, that most online store will accept, and that has a good reputation and customer service so I know im not putting my money into somthing that wont go just as amooth as using a regular credit card would go.

bussdriver

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
Just go to wal-mart and get one of those prepaid visas that you reload. It does cost something like 3 bucks to load it, but you only put on what you need for your shopping spree. When done, your account should be just a few bucks above zero. Not enough for any thief to worry about. Don't reload it again until you check your account online. Then reload, spend, relax.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
Okay so I am looking to put in a few different orders on a few diferent websites, mostly fasttech though.
I dont have a credit card or bank card anymore after a theft incident got my account closed, now my question is what would be a good card bought store like greendot or prepaid visa card that I can get that would work for these websites.

Ita important for me to get a card that I can reload with money over time, that most online store will accept, and that has a good reputation and customer service so I know im not putting my money into somthing that wont go just as amooth as using a regular credit card would go.

Walmart grab a Bluebird card, that's American Express by the way and it offers 24 hours support and buyer protection.

I was in a similar situation as you and I got a MasterCard reloadable from Walgreens since they are everywhere by me. It was also the cheapest one I could find for the monthly fees. You really have to read the fine print on all of them. Everyone of them changes a fee to put money on the card and monthly fees range from 3 to 8 dollars a month. Some even charge a transaction fee for every purchase you make.

ChurchMouse

Apr 24, 2014
Illinois
I use American Express Serve because it's free to refill at Walmart, CVS, or 7/11. It's the most convenient and cost-free prepaid I've found.

I use this for online ordering and traveling as well. It's not attached to my bank account or any other accounts, so if someone feels like playing not-nice with my card or number the only money they can play with is the limited amount I keep in the account.

I think the Walmart branded account is called Bluebird. Same thing, different name.

ChurchMouse

Apr 24, 2014
Illinois
True well does the mastercard / bluebird charge
-monthly fees
-purchase fees

Or does it only charge fees when you load it

Also if you only have say 5 dollars on it and the monthly fee is 8 dollars would it drop you account into negitive?

Serve (should be same as Bluebird) is $1 monthly fee, waived if you make a direct deposit or deposit a minimum amount during that month. It is impossible to overdraft the account... period. ATM deposits/withdrawals are free on their network and loading it is free at Walmart, CVS and some other places I don't have in my area and forget which ones they are. :p Using it is free. There is also free online bill pay available, which I've never used but could be convenient.

Bluebird is Walmart branded so it's only Walmart, never had one but scanning the terms it sounds pretty much exactly the same only there are paper checks available. I never had Bluebird and don't know how those checks work or if there are any fees associated with them.

These are really set up as a banking alternative, not just a prepaid card. Although Serve has worked well for me as a cheap/free prepaid.

The only real downside: Not everyone takes American Express.

Last edited:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I use netspend bought it on a whim and had it for over 3 years now. its a reloadable debt card. with added features like a bank card. I liked it so much I dumped my bank for them. if doing a straight reload its a couple bucks but I use it as a real debt card now with direct deposit so i get free ATM withdraws as well from ace locations.

anytime I can use it i prefer paypal which is also connected to my netspend account and to pay my CC's as there is no bank to bank or PP fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread