Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
So, I traded for a Mini and a Grand. My Mini has been working flawlessly, while the grand has been giving me some problems. I noticed that sometimes my Grand isn't making a good connection and that I have to push the button down a couple times before I can get my atty or carto to fire. Even when it does, it is noticeably weaker than say my Mini or the same battery and atomizer in my GGTS.

For starters, it looks as though the metal contact piece under the button doesn't come to a point, it is just flat and not pointed down. I will try to get a picture of this:

24flfl2.jpg

mt12kn.jpg

The other issue is that my 18650 AW IMR battery just falls out when the REO is inverted with the door off, so it rattles around and needs to be adjusted constantly. The only way I found that I am able to keep the battery in, is to put two Pennies on the spring, and then insert the battery. I will include a picture of the spring too, just in case the issue involves the length:

rbimgx.jpg

I'm not sure if the penny idea is any good, but it seems to work. I just don't want to damage the Reo, the batteries, or my face (Yes, the importance is in that order :D ).

Any insight would be groovy. Sorry about the crappy quality of the pictures. I had to use my cell phone.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
That is an older Grand. There is a difference in performance between the older tab and the newer pointed one. Also, It appears that the spring has collapsed due to a short....which is why the battery just falls out. A spring in proper shape will firmly hold your battery in place. :) This is a job for Rob :)
Send him a PM about what it would take to bring the Grand back to new either by your hand or by his. The mini should never out perform a grand.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Sorry to say, but your Grand needs a trip to Maine. First, it has shorted and collapsed the spring. That is why your battery is rattling around and it is misfiring. Normally, you could discard the offending atty and replace the spring, but if it came to you like that, Rob needs to give it a once over. Also, he replaces the old style firing pins. I don't think he is charging for it.

I'm slow...what she said :)

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Sorry to say, but your Grand needs a trip to Maine. First, it has shorted and collapsed the spring. That is why your battery is rattling around and it is misfiring. Normally, you could discard the offending atty and replace the spring, but if it came to you like that, Rob needs to give it a once over. Also, he replaces the old style firing pins. I don't think he is charging for it.

I'm slow...what she said :)

I don't understand this collapsed spring business. How does the spring stay collapsed when shorted and why can't you just stretch it out again once it's happened? And does it make a lot of noise when it happens?

SammyT

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2011
Auburn, Alabama, USA
www.freighttrainmods.com
You can stretch it back out but I will no longer have the designed safety feature. The only reason i can think of is The metal in the spring has now been heat treated and will no longer be affected by heat in that way. I would just send it to Rob and pay him the extra five bucks to send a spare spring back with it... But that's just what I would do.

Sent from my Apple II. What?! I keeps it old school!

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Just FYI, keep the pennies away from the battery! I accidentally left a battery in a pocket with some spare change...started leaking and the wrapper around the battery was melted and burned and it burned a hole straight through the pocket.. It could have been much worse.

LOL, TennDave did the same thing. If you carry a loose battery in a pocket with change, doesn't take much shifting around to make a circuit. I gave him one of these: Nylon battery case

They are handy to have anyway, to carry a spare battery or two, an atty, and a small bottle of juice.

Emris

Time Lord
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I don't understand this collapsed spring business. How does the spring stay collapsed when shorted and why can't you just stretch it out again once it's happened? And does it make a lot of noise when it happens?

When a short happens the springs heats up and gets very hot, like red hot. When this happens the spring looses its tensile strength and collapses upon its self severing the circuit. Its a "fail safe" so to speak.

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Wow! You guys rock. Thanks so much for all the info and tips. I will get this puppy back to Rob ASAP. I'm kind of disappointed that I already left the guy positive feedback. I just assumed it was working as intended, but if it gets better than this I'll be beyond impressed. Now I'm excited.

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Wow! You guys rock. Thanks so much for all the info and tips. I will get this puppy back to Rob ASAP. I'm kind of disappointed that I already left the guy positive feedback. I just assumed it was working as intended, but if it gets better than this I'll be beyond impressed. Now I'm excited.

Just ask a mod to delete the post and explain why. He should have told you about the spring.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
So, I sent the REO out almost two weeks ago but it got returned to me, I have no idea why. Should I just resend it?

I hope Rob even remembers who I am haha.
Call him...yes, I'm sure he'll remember you. :) Also check the address. Here is his contact info. Contact Us

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
Call him...yes, I'm sure he'll remember you. :) Also check the address. Here is his contact info. Contact Us

I probably won't call him as I'm In Canada, but It looks like I had the address correct. Maybe they turned it around at the border?

I should be able to send it back out by Monday. I'll shoot him a PM here :D

Thanks so much for the help

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
I probably won't call him as I'm In Canada, but It looks like I had the address correct. Maybe they turned it around at the border?

I should be able to send it back out by Monday. I'll shoot him a PM here :D

Thanks so much for the help
:laugh:...I'm such a dope! :lol: I'm sorry...I totally missed that. Ya...that call can get expensive. Keep us posted....that Grand needs to be brought up to speed! :)

Geez...that blows. :facepalm: If you lived in BC I'd meet ya at the border and hand you a loaner while I sent yours in. I sure hope it can make it the next time. Did they tell you why they sent it back?

Last edited:

FunkyVapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2011
Niagara Falls, Canada
:laugh:...I'm such a dope! :lol: I'm sorry...I totally missed that. Ya...that call can get expensive. Keep us posted....that Grand needs to be brought up to speed! :)

Geez...that blows. :facepalm: If you lived in BC I'd meet ya at the border and hand you a loaner while I sent yours in. I sure hope it can make it the next time. Did they tell you why they sent it back?

Haha no problemo. I have no idea why it was sent back. I am sending the grand out tomorrow. This Holiday season has been hectic as (heck) and we our post office wasn't open until yesterday after the holiday for some reason. I'll keep you posted for sure and I really appreciate it.

P.S. I wish I lived in BC too, because then I'd live in BC :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread