Remember CARTRIDGES?! And other pieces of vape nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I was just looking through some of my old posts for fun and man, it was a bit of a trip.

I figured there must be some other members here who have been vaping for 4-5 years who would also appreciate a little blast from the past. It's been such a long time since I thought about what was the newest, coolest thing in my earliest days.

What do you remember, from way back? I know my first couple of e-cigs after the requisite smoke-shop disaster were a 510 clone and an eGo clone. Variable voltage was really, really new. I used "blue foam" in cartridges to get them to work a little bit better, and I remember Volcano sold these somewhat strange ceramic cartomizers that required a needle to fill. A little bit later I had an eGo-T, and can practically still feel what it was like punching through one of those dinky little .5mL (or something) 'tanks.'

I remember when "low resistance" was </= 2ohms, and you had to make sure you at least had an eGo to handle it.

I remember when Grimm posted a video calling the Vision Spinner a "game changer," not that he was wrong.

As for mods, most of the good ones I got back in the beginning still basically work, years later. Actually, most of the good ones I got are still out there and relatively popular as far as I know, but not all the way they once were. I have an early Provari and a REO Grand from 4 years ago, both of which of course are still popular. Great Lakes Vapor I don't hear about as much, but my GLV-mini's button is still as clicky as ever.

I read a post the other day that mentioned vaping at "relatively low wattage" at 25W. No judgment, but still, lol. To be clear, I love new vapers. It just makes me laugh when I think about where we all came from in terms of this technology.

Anyway, what else do you recall from your early days?

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Anyway, what else do you recall from your early days?

Mostly seeing many, many threads about the latest, greatest clearo leaking or giving dry hits. For years.

I think Imeo ( GG) took vaping to the level it is today and beyond. REO and the REOnaughts for an outstanding product, owner and group of people.

I remember when I could name most all online shops....

I've been vaping 2 years but remember deciding between 306, KR808 etc before finding out about the ego/510 (and learning about tea bag filler from YouTube).

Then, I started on an ego pass through and whatever crappy clearo that had just been released. Now, I'm vaping on an istick, subohm tank of mix and match kayfun v4 and Orchid parts. Incredible.

I feel like I entered at the very formidable age for e-cigs. It's been amazing watching the rapid advancements. I also can't help but wonder how dismal advancements would be if... No.... WHEN the FDA gets to hike its leg (dog metaphor) on the industry and lay claim.

Regardless, it is indeed fun to reminisce even if I've been in the lifestyle change/ hobby for such a short time.

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 16, 2014
    Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
    Funny. I have'nt vaped this juice in 6 monthes. Its the instant taste of nostalgia. Still tastes darn good.
    IMG_20150822_164438.jpg

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

dDubs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    I remember when dripping a 510 stingray bridgeless atty on a provari mini was vape perfection.. lol. Still is a good vape though, I have a brand new stingray in my vape stash still and if I got new 18350/490 batts could vape my mini provari still as well.
    I remember paying some ridiculous amount of money on the classifieds for a DCA 306, which I still have. Ooh and a dual 14500 5v regulated box mod I made myself... or my favorite homemade mod of all time- the corn cob passthrough! Lol it is a corn cob pipe connected to a usb cable, with a switch on the side of the bowl head, and an orange LED in the bowl so when you took a puff it looked like it was cherrying!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2014
    Corn 'n' Cows
    I still have my Volcano Magma kit, circa 2010, along with attys and flavor cartridges. The earlier ones had the foil cover that would puncture when attached to the atty. Still have some of the 2011 versions which were merely the "soaked sponge" (blech)

Kinda why I put them away for a few years until I discovered eGos and EVODs :)

JavaJunkie

ECF Veteran
    Jul 19, 2011
    Virginia
    Oh goodness blue foam...

Reorganized my vaping supplies a few months back and came across my old minis. Some of the batteries still charged. I used the attys from my old 3-piece minis as drippers when I signed up for one of those subscription boxes services. I didn't have an RDA at the time. It worked for my purposes. RDA works better.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Used up all my cartridges .... used them to bait mouse traps.

What I remember most is pealing those damn black wrappers off of cartomizers.

Haha, I only tried that once. Used them with wrappers still on until the prices came down on the SS's. Boggled my mind that they wanted to charge more for leaving the wrapper off. Even after a month in a tank they refused to loosen.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    I still have my Volcano Magma kit, circa 2010, along with attys and flavor cartridges. The earlier ones had the foil cover that would puncture when attached to the atty. Still have some of the 2011 versions which were merely the "soaked sponge" (blech)

Yes! Yes! I had those foil-covered cartridges too! I still have some parts of my Volcano Magma kit, including the box, but otherwise it was well-loved and totally spent! :)

Reactions: DingerCPA

Thayamax

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 7, 2013
    Southeast Michigan
    I remember my first attempt at vaping with a KR808 cigalike and cartomizers. I thought it was an amazing innovation even though the tobacco flavors were horrid. I was amazed at the creativity of vapors to get satisfaction with their gear. I felt like a pro when I perfected the "Tarin Spin" using an old sock to fill my cartomizers to the brim. My fiance thought I was nuts as he was ducking in case of a mishap. :lol:

Reactions: Izan

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 23, 2011
    Portland, ME
    @ddirtyvapes.... LOL. I was reorganizing my "stuff" not too long ago, and I came across about 30+ boxes of the flavor cartridges for the Magma. (I'd scored a bunch when they were offered for $0.99/box) Wonder if they're still good? :rolleyes:

Only one way to find out if they're still good, right? :p Probably not after all these years... but I do feel pretty indebted to those Magma cartridge and atomizer; they were the first decent experience I had. At least for the first 15 puffs :D I have particularly fond memories of dripping on my Magma. Back when dripping into a disposable atomizer was "advanced vaping" and you had to be careful not to get juice in your automatic battery!!

I remember my first attempt at vaping with a KR808 cigalike and cartomizers. I thought it was an amazing innovation even though the tobacco flavors were horrid. I was amazed at the creativity of vapors to get satisfaction with their gear. I felt like a pro when I perfected the "Tarin Spin" using an old sock to fill my cartomizers to the brim. My fiance thought I was nuts as he was ducking in case of a mishap. :lol:

That's totally what it is, I think. Back in the day we had to be SO CREATIVE to get a good experience. Don't get me wrong, I think we're a very enterprising community still and always but the creativity manifests itself in different ways today. IMO, these days it's the difference between getting a "pretty good" versus "better" vape, at least compared to what us old-timers once knew. Way back when I feel like our creativity was the only thing keeping us from going back to the smokes! I used blue foam mods for a solid month or two and thought that was soooooooo much better than anything else I'd ever used, because it was at that point. I think a vaper who started even in 2013 or so would laugh that crap out the door.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread