Recent Credit Card Fraud this weekend. First time since I started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapoPirateRoi

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2013
Wyandotte, Michigan
Hey guys, just a heads up. I was the victim of Online Credit Card Fraud from an online transaction this weekend. Luckily, I didn't have the amount of money that someone in Slovakia wanted to steal from me, so my bank declined it and cancelled my card. The only companies I ordered from were RAWR and Backwoods Brew last weekend, and Litecig and RTS Vapes this weekend. So if you ordered from any of these companies recently, Keep an eye out. I think I heard something about RAWR having trouble, but I figured I'd list all of my transactions. You know, as civil duty?

Seriously? Slovakia?! Were they funding a hockey team on my card?!

You know what weird that you would say this, i had something similar happen, and the only thing i have used my card for is e cig stuff on line. My card was cancelled cause someone in Sri Lanka attempted to buy plane tickets with my card.. Ive only ever used it at Vaporalley, Kalamazoo vapor shop and heathers heavenly vapes. Most recently at kalamazoo vapor shop. Take heed no offense to the vendors but something needs to be done to make sure there doing things right.

miketreeguy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
kansas city
Hey guys, just a heads up. I was the victim of Online Credit Card Fraud from an online transaction this weekend. Luckily, I didn't have the amount of money that someone in Slovakia wanted to steal from me, so my bank declined it and cancelled my card. The only companies I ordered from were RAWR and Backwoods Brew last weekend, and Litecig and RTS Vapes this weekend. So if you ordered from any of these companies recently, Keep an eye out. I think I heard something about RAWR having trouble, but I figured I'd list all of my transactions. You know, as civil duty?

Seriously? Slovakia?! Were they funding a hockey team on my card?!
Thank you for notifying us. I just blocked my card, requesting a new number.

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA
I'm not going to read an 11 page thread, so here's my reading the OP thoughts.

All I know is if you use a debit card to buy stuff online you're an idiot.

I've had my number stolen several times when buying e-cig stuff and all it's ever taken is a 2-5 minute phone call to have every thing taken care of with my credit card company.

It's also not the vendor that's the problem, it's the company that they use for processing the payment. The vendor doesn't get your credit card info.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ

I've had my number stolen several times when buying e-cig stuff and all it's ever taken is a 2-5 minute phone call to have every thing taken care of with my credit card company.

It's also not the vendor that's the problem, it's the company that they use for processing the payment. The vendor doesn't get your credit card info.

Took the same actions with my debit. Its not that bad.

Although i agree credit is safer. You dont lose money until you see the bills. With debit its straight from your pocket.

mommyofdoom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
Orlando, Florida

Well, then, I must be an idiot. An idiot whose financial institution caught the charges before anything even went through, and an idiot whose financial institution has no problem handling fraudulent claims professionally.

That's not saying I'll continue to use my debit card, from now on I'm going prepaid for online purchases.

But I don't see the major difference between using debit or credit when you have a fantastic bank that won't screw you over fraudulent charges.

tA71ana

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Round N Round the Mulberry Bush
Well, then, I must be an idiot. An idiot whose financial institution caught the charges before anything even went through, and an idiot whose financial institution has no problem handling fraudulent claims professionally.

That's not saying I'll continue to use my debit card, from now on I'm going prepaid for online purchases.

But I don't see the major difference between using debit or credit when you have a fantastic bank that won't screw you over fraudulent charges.
Also with a prepaid debit you don't have a 5000.00 credit line for someone to raid.
These people are trying to steal much more than i would ever put on a prepaid debit card....usually whatever I load on it is gone within a half-hour on my purchases.

I've been using prepaids for years, no problems yet (knock on wood).

Edit to add: I could get a CC but don't want one (see my sig)..too tempting to spend money I don't have, lol

Last edited:

DarthSnoopyFish

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2011
Burlingame, CA
Just FYI. Your credit card info could have been stolen weeks or even months ago.

And as everyone else here has said, do not use your card attached to your bank account online. Use an old fashion credit card. If you use a bank card and you loose that money, you need to fight to get it back. A credit card on the other hand, is money you never had. So if your credit card company wants you to pay, they need to fight to prove you spent it.

Strigoi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2010
Martinez, CA

If they get you on your debit card they're ....ing with your actual money and not credit. I don't care how fantastic my bank is, I'd rather it be a credit issue than having X amount drawn out of my account that I don't have access to due to a scammer.

I've been buying .... off the internet for well over a decade. You never use your debit card to buy stuff online, that's internet 101 there. Use a credit card and then pay it of as soon as it posts to that account if you don't want a balance.

VapoPirateRoi

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2013
Wyandotte, Michigan

yeah no one ever said that it was a hassle. my bank declined it before it ever went through. i was just commenting that it happened to me too. Id expect to use a debit card for what its worth without having to deal with ....... obviously i dont live in sri lanka. its just an inconvenience. you shouldnt have to use a credit card to buy something. if you have a good bank they will stop it for you.

billyd7

Feb 12, 2013
Baltimore
yeah no one ever said that it was a hassle. my bank declined it before it ever went through. i was just commenting that it happened to me too. Id expect to use a debit card for what its worth without having to deal with ....... obviously i dont live in sri lanka. its just an inconvenience. you shouldnt have to use a credit card to buy something. if you have a good bank they will stop it for you.

Thats great if your bank stops it for you, but if they dont catch it it becomes a nightmare. About a year ago, someone got access to my debit information and used it one state over. It didnt raise flags with the bank, but depleted my account. Unfortunately I had pending checks and payments that "bounced" and I got hit with late fees etc. It was resolved eventually, but it took 3 weeks for the bank to investigate and replenish my funds. I was able to get most of the bounced check charges waived but it took way longer than the 2 minute call to the credit card company this time.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
With a "drive by virus", can a key logging virus be placed on your computer, then later retrieved?

Yes, most definitely. Its no different than a trojan in that respect. The solution is keylogger software on your computer. If you don't have the right version of Windows nor Malicious (Microsoft Security Essentials) you can get the software free on any Windows site. Everyone should have keylogger protection these days doing banking online or paying bills online.

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
To those using a debit card they only keep a small amount in, make sure you check periodically to make sure a bank employee or their system hasn't linked other bigger accounts you have to it for overdraft protection. If they access the small account, the bank will pay from your other account(s) if there aren't enough funds in it. It nearly happened to me once.

Bullette the Cowdog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2012
Treasure Coast, FL
Yes, most definitely. Its no different than a trojan in that respect. The solution is keylogger software on your computer. If you don't have the right version of Windows nor Malicious (Microsoft Security Essentials) you can get the software free on any Windows site. Everyone should have keylogger protection these days doing banking online or paying bills online.

Thanks Patkin. That's what I thought. And that's why I didn't enter Alien Visions website. Had to laugh when Porphy told me to send a help desk ticket. Haha (read my 9 month old post)

I've got my computer pretty much locked down. So much that its a PITA sometimes. But hey, you gotta practice "safe computing" out there.

Thanks for your response.

Ravalstoney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I use a pre-paid card to order off the internet. I keep just a few dollars on it and just add what i'm gonna need the order or whatever I need. Never had a problem yet, but I'm sure the couple of dollars I leave on it is not enough for someone to mess with.

EXCELLENT IDEA! Will be doing from now on.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
To those using a debit card they only keep a small amount in, make sure you check periodically to make sure a bank employee or their system hasn't linked other bigger accounts you have to it for overdraft protection. If they access the small account, the bank will pay from your other account(s) if there aren't enough funds in it. It nearly happened to me once.
This happened to me last year. The darn bank gave me overdraft protection. I went immediately to the bank and signed all the necessary paperwork. These thieves are really good these days. I no longer have any overdraft protection. I keep very little in my account. I will add to it when I want to make a purchase. At least the thieves won't take allot of my money. I do keep an eye on the account. I am very cautious on who I order from these days.

JoJoVa

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2013
Washington, DC
After seeing all the posts on this and knowing that I needed to make an order soon, I went to Walmart to look into a pre paid loadable card. Walmart has one that you have to pay $3 a month on...which I don't mind, but you have to provide your SSN to buy and load the card. Not into that. So I bought myself a $50 AMEX gift card and used it at Mt. Baker. This way, I can also keep myself on an allowance. I was concerned about the card not having a billing address, but it still went through. (The web says that you have to call AMEX to add your name and address to the card. Well I called and it sent me through a never ending loop, so I figured I'd give it a shot without).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread