quick question about mosfet box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I am going to be starting to build my first mosfet mech box and I was wondering if I needed any fuses? I have seen diagrams with and without fuses and was wondering how I should do it it will be a duel 18650 with a 40A mosfet and a volt meter, should I do anything differently with better mosfet, fuses, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone in advance.

Zanderist

ECF Veteran
Feb 5, 2014
I'm currently figuring out how to properly fuse a mosfet box mod.

What I've learned to date is you need to consider what you want your lowest load to be(i.e maximum allowable current draw) That will determine the trip current of the fuse. You also need to look up how long it takes to trip at that current, this will determine how long the mosfet will have to endure short circuit amps.

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
The IRLB3034PBF N-channel MOSFET recommended above by Dave Signal is an excellent choice. I use it. I also use fuses but I vape 1.0 ohm coils so 15 amps is sufficient. They provide an extra measure of safety. Just make sure the fuse's hold current can handle your expected maximum current. 40 amps would be good for 0.1 ohm coils. Those can be a bit harder to find.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
You could look for a small inline fuse. The fuse doesn't get wired to the MOSFET, it would go in-between the battery positive and the 510 pin connection. Are the batteries in parallel? If so, you could use two wires, one from each battery and each with a small 20A fuse, that then join and connect to the 510 pin. Are you putting this in a Hammond box? It will be much easier with a B box than a G box.

Technically, though, not calculating for voltage drop, 4.2 volts at .1 ohm is 42 amp. So, in a best case scenario with your sub-ohm build, you will blow out your fuses. And have to take your box apart to replace them. If you have safe batteries like the Sony VTCs and are intending to build this low, I think the fuses are more trouble than they are worth.

I am going to Be using a G box and i am going to get fresh batterys will be in parallel for the box so whatever ones they are they will be married to this box, so I have decided that fuses are probably not going to go in lol, so basically I should just keep my builds in accordance with what my batteries can handle sonys are good to about .2 ohm samsung 25r are about .3 ohm but can I cut these in half since each battery is taking half of the load? Sorry about these noob questions I have only really used regulated boxes like ipv3 and vaporshark dna 40 and all kinds of mech tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread