Question about running parallel vs series

Status
Not open for further replies.

HashiramadYomama

Jan 24, 2023
I have the profile ps rda which takes two mesh strips from the first profile rda. you can swap the 510 pin out and choose between series mode and parallel mode, in parallel mode the ohms of the strip is cut on half, and in series mode the strips ohm is doubled. The nexmesh A1 strips is what I use and the strip is .13 ohms. So I'm parallel its .07ohm and series mode is .26 ohms.

In parallel mode, it's denser of a vapor, clouds are insane(as seen in my profile picture) and flavor is like your drinking the juice, and I'm series mode, it's similar just cooler vapor, seems like longer ramp time maybe, I can't decide which one I like more.

But my question is, because this is out side of just the profile ps this goes for this scenario is any device where you can choose between the two.

So what are all of the differences between the two performance wise, and the pros and cons of both and why does it make such a difference witch both strips being in parallel vs series?
I understand the concept of how the energy is traveling, in parallel its to both at once and in series it starts on one side and goes to the other, which is why it's called series mode.

I guess my main question is why does what I just said in my previous sentance affect the way the device hits? (The performance all around)

Thankz..

Reactions: easyvape

HashiramadYomama

Jan 24, 2023
I know that, but what I'm trying to get at is why is the vape experience different, when it's the same amount of metal being heated anyway? It can't just be because it's hotter there has to be more to it.

Because when I vape in series mode the hits a little cooler, and there's a tiny less flavor, but it's not that much different ide say the heat level is the most noticeable difference. But if heat was the only factor than cracking up the watts should give the same result as a parallel pin would, but it doesn't I can't get the series mode to vape just like the parallel.

Is there anyone that knows more about what I'm asking scientifically?

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    If you are using a mechanical mod with straight battery voltage output, or variable voltage, the higher resistance would draw far less power from the battery. With variable power it should automatically adjust voltage to produce the correct power, however it may not be able to output as much power in one configuration. Problem with that is .26 ohms should be able to allow full power, at least up to 100W or more. If anything, the .07 should restrict power and increase losses. If we were talking 2.6 ohms, then yeah the voltage limit would be an issue above maybe 15W. But there still could be some smaller differences in how much power it delivers since this is a 4:1 difference of load.

HashiramadYomama

Jan 24, 2023
    I just was wondering why the hit was so different even though it's the same exact strip. I already know that about the batteries. When you get to an ohm .07 or lower normally you want a tri or quad battery mod because your gonna need a .... ton of amps.

My dual battery 18650 mod maxed out at 43 amps. And it just happens to be my preferred setting. If I needed any more amps I'd need a mod upgrade.

My batteries are rated 40 amps each, so I'm safe there. My dovpo dual top side is rated for 40 amps max but it will squeeze 43 out but no higher than that. The maximum just happens to be perfect. The series mode isn't as flavorful or vigorous.

↓↓↓ this is my ultimate question for you ↓↓↓

How come you cant just turn up the watts in series mode to achieve the same hit as it makes in parallel mode? It isn't all about heat, if it was, then that↑ would be possible. I want to know why the hit is different, and it can't just be because of heat difference.
    (I know all of what you said but that doesn't really answer my question)

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out exactly what to ask, and how to word it.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I just was wondering why the hit was so different even though it's the same exact strip. I already know that about the batteries. When you get to an ohm .07 or lower normally you want a tri or quad battery mod because your gonna need a .... ton of amps.
    Modern mods have a voltage converter and you only need more batteries for more total power. The same coils in parallel or series should still require the same power to them which draws about the same current from the batteries unless the converter is maxed out.

43A at ,07 ohms would be 129W at 3.01V. But 129W into .26 still only requires 5.79V at 22.3A, which it should still do, maybe even easier. I think the low resistance might somehow make it overcompensate or vice versa, but vape can be mysterious. I expect that if power can be adjusted to get the same vape, the setting isn't that much different.

Looking at that RDA, it may make better connection in parallel, or could it affect heating? Also some difference in the coils will be magnified in series, more uneven, maybe other imperfections increased too. Maybe that's it. OTOH, if the difference is only one of effective length (same coils mismatched mounting), series should compensate correctly and parallel increases mismatch.

HashiramadYomama

Jan 24, 2023
    Modern mods have a voltage converter and you only need more batteries for more total power. The same coils in parallel or series should still require the same power to them which draws about the same current from the batteries unless the converter is maxed out.

43A at ,07 ohms would be 129W at 3.01V. But 129W into .26 still only requires 5.79V at 22.3A, which it should still do, maybe even easier. I think the low resistance might somehow make it overcompensate or vice versa, but vape can be mysterious. I expect that if power can be adjusted to get the same vape, the setting isn't that much different.

Looking at that RDA, it may make better connection in parallel, or could it affect heating? Also some difference in the coils will be magnified in series, more uneven, maybe other imperfections increased too. Maybe that's it. OTOH, if the difference is only one of effective length (same coils mismatched mounting), series should compensate correctly and parallel increases mismatch.
    That's what I'm saying if you crank the power up in series mode to try to mimic parallel it is not the same by any means. Flat out less vapor. I wanna know why!!!!!!! I like an aggressive vape and am a flavor chaser so I pretty much always go parallel.

Series is good for when you have a single battery mod that can't go over 100 watts.

HashiramadYomama

Jan 24, 2023
    There are no 18650 batteries that have a 40 amp rating.
    Molicel p28a my friend. And their 35 amps each my bad, same difference
    There are no 18650 batteries that have a 40 amp rating.

That however is 40 amps. Welcome to 2023 my brother!!!

Edit: same difference I said because 70 amps is more than I'm ever gonna use unless I get a quad coil rda, in which case would need a tri or quad battery mod since dual mod chips usually don't go over 40 or so amps. So it being 70 instead of 80 doesn't change anything for me.

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    That's what I'm saying if you crank the power up in series mode to try to mimic parallel it is not the same by any means. Flat out less vapor. I wanna know why!!!!!!! I like an aggressive vape and am a flavor chaser so I pretty much always go parallel.

Series is good for when you have a single battery mod that can't go over 100 watts.
    I'd like to know why too, even though I have no interest in that kind of power and suggest small bore drip tips to get total flavor. It would be possible to measure the voltage at the coils to see if they are driven the same, total and coil matching, by the mod. Dry burning would also give some indication. Also if anyone has tested the mod and have power-load curves, it may just expect max. power to happen with ridiculously low resistances.

But series coils doesn't reduce the power requirement at all. The only way to reduce power needed with those mesh coils is to go parallel and leave one out.
    18650's are good for about 75W each safely, a dual battery mod should do 150. The coil resistance is irrelevant if it doesn't affect the total power. The current drawn by the chipset from the battery is the power required divided by the battery voltage at the moment. The chipset shouldn't draw more than the stated battery requirement, but may expect good batteries even when far less power is used.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread