series vs parallel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighPlainsPuffer

Jul 9, 2015
in flux
Hi all, quick question on parallel vs series boxes. I'm debating picking up a dual 18650 box, and am curious about the resulting wattages. With a parallel, the voltage will be whatever a single battery's voltage is, so 4.2 fresh; in a series, these voltages are added so the voltage is 8.4 fresh, right? So with regards to building on each of these boxes, I would need to build at a higher resistance on the series than the parallel if I was looking for the same resulting wattage, correct? For instance, if I've got a .6 build in a parallel box, the output wattage would be slightly under 30 watts. If I use the same build in the series box, the output wattage would be over 100 watts. Is this all correct?

I prefer building at slightly higher ohms (.5 to .9), so it seems a series box would be more fitting for me. That said, as I get more into the non basic coils, if I'm playing with some low resistance claptons I'd be pumping a LOT of power through those coils with a series, so maybe a parallel would be better? Worst comes to worst and if I can't decide I may just get one with a switch in it...

This is of course all based on a nonregulated (bcbox) box, but I figured the question may fit better here over the mech mods subforum.

Thanks!

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Wattage in a Series Circuit is Additive, so yes, it could double, or a bit more possibly.

No. It is squared. 2^2 = 4 times as much power at the same resistance. 30 watt coil gets 120, if the batteries can do it, because current is doubled too. If the coil resistance is doubled (e.g. twice the wraps), then the power is only doubled. Then the current is the same and volts are double.

To get the same power you would need thinner wire and the somewhat less than twice the wraps needed to get the same heat flux from that wire. The series is good if you want a whole lot of power and/or thinner wire less losses etc.; the parallel is good if you just want less battery sag and better life, multiple coils are in parallel usually.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread