Status
Not open for further replies.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
Ok the thing to consider is what wattage you want. 18650's are 4.2 volts or there abouts when fully charged. They should not be used below 3.4 volts. So assuming you want 8 watts you would want about 2.1 ohms so you will have close to 8 watts when the battery drains. The starting wattage will be about 10watts. 2.1 ohms would be about 1 3/4 " long piece of wire assuming about a 3mm diameter coil and 1/4 in leads on the coil. There are some cool apps to help with this. I use an android app Called Vaper's Toolbox and Eliquid Recipe pro which has a wattage, voltage, amps calculator. The wire used by the way would be 32 gauge. Almost forgot that. LOL

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
You're going to want to have a Multimeter around. They're handy, and you can use them to confirm that the circuit is working. You can also use it to determine if the resistance of your coil is correct. I picked one up from the local hardware-type store for like 12-15 dollars. It's a cheap one, so I'm not expecting it to do any fancy tricks, but it does what I need it to do.

I use NiChrome wire for my builds... I've read that a lot of people get a metallic taste from it, I've never had that problem, myself. Maybe the metallic taste doesn't bother me. I've also found that it's a bit softer and easier to work with than Kanthal.

Also, if you're planning on building anything <1ohm, you really need to have an IMR battery, and I'd point you toward the AW brand. They're known for good batteries. They cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread