Quality 18500 battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA
So I really only use 18500 batteries which seems to be the least used battery..

Anyway I have a collection of 18500's at this point
2 pink Sanyo's
2 blue AW's
2 Efest red
2 EH red

Anyway I started dabbling in sub ohm builds, I always thought Purple Efest's were the best for sub ohm's especially in 18500's but based on taste your juice it appears the wattage on those is lower than the red? I don't understand amp's to well

so I'm asking if anyone knows of any better 18500 batteries that are safe...but also which protected battery can I get that would last the longest? it doesn't appear as if sony, lg or panasonic's make 18500's

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
First of all, if you are into rebuildable atomizers, you should be using only IMR batteries, NOT protected ICR batteries.

Rebuildable coils (especially sub ohm builds) suck up a lot of amps from a battery. Protected ICR batteries are low drain batteries and never have more than 3 amps available; IMR batteries are high drain and have two to ten times more amps. In addition, ICR batteries vent flames and can potentially explode when they go into thermal runaway -- not recommended. IMR batteries are safer chemistry.

One should never fire a coil which will pull more amps from the battery than it has available. Doing so can cause the battery to go into thermal runaway (venting hot gas which can cause second degree burns or possibly explode).

IMR_battery_post-venting.jpg subohm2face.jpg

So, before even firing a new coil you have to measure the resistance (ohms) with an ohm reader or digital multimeter. That number has to be put into an Ohm's Law Calculator. Use "4.2" volts for the voltage (a fully charged battery), and click calculate. The calculated "current" (amps) should be less than your battery's continuous discharge rate in amps. This is CRITICAL or your battery will look like the one above.

List of IMR batteries and their amp limits: Battery Basics for Mods

The best 18490/18500 IMR battery available currently is the AW 18490 1100mah battery with 16.5 amps continuous discharge rate. You can go down to o.3 - o.4 ohms with this battery. However, using an 18490 battery to power sub-ohm coils is going to cause battery time to suck big time.

AW18490.jpg

Last edited:

jpcwon

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
North Easton, MA
The AW 18490 is my favorite battery of all time.....it combines the best of all worlds....small size, high amp limit (for the size), and reliability that I haven't gotten from any other 18490/18500......I would go with a plain ol' AW 18490 if I were you.....it's the best 18490/18500 option out there IMO....I own like 15 of them... :)

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA
never seen a blue AW, just red and black. Where did you get it?

i got mine from mtbaker back in the day, there was a month were ppl had questions about the blue ones, 18490 or whatever 1500mah, go to find out they are unprotected or fake...still don't know, don't use them very often

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA
The AW 18490 is my favorite battery of all time.....it combines the best of all worlds....small size, high amp limit (for the size), and reliability that I haven't gotten from any other 18490/18500......I would go with a plain ol' AW 18490 if I were you.....it's the best 18490/18500 option out there IMO....I own like 15 of them... :)

yep thats why i use 18500, not too big to carry with me all the time, but enough vape time to last a good while

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA
First of all, if you are into rebuildable atomizers, you should be using only IMR batteries, NOT protected ICR batteries.

Rebuildable coils (especially sub ohm builds) suck up a lot of amps from a battery. Protected ICR batteries are low drain batteries and never have more than 3 amps available; IMR batteries are high drain and have two to ten times more amps. In addition, ICR batteries vent flames and can potentially explode when they go into thermal runaway -- not recommended. IMR batteries are safer chemistry.

One should never fire a coil which will pull more amps from the battery than it has available. Doing so can cause the battery to go into thermal runaway (venting hot gas which can cause second degree burns or possibly explode).

View attachment 354611 View attachment 354612

So, before even firing a new coil you have to measure the resistance (ohms) with an ohm reader or digital multimeter. That number has to be put into an Ohm's Law Calculator. Use "4.2" volts for the voltage (a fully charged battery), and click calculate. The calculated "current" (amps) should be less than your battery's continuous discharge rate in amps. This is CRITICAL or your battery will look like the one above.

List of IMR batteries and their amp limits: Battery Basics for Mods

The best 18490/18500 IMR battery available currently is the AW 18490 1100mah battery with 16.5 amps continuous discharge rate. You can go down to o.3 - o.4 ohms with this battery. However, using an 18490 battery to power sub-ohm coils is going to cause battery time to suck big time.

View attachment 354616

nice thank you....glad i have two purple efests coming in the mail haha, but some of these batteries i don't really like anyway, even for normal vaping

but my red eh's and efests i have already say they are IMR no?

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
nice thank you....glad i have two purple efests coming in the mail haha, but some of these batteries i don't really like anyway, even for normal vaping

but my red eh's and efests i have already say they are IMR no?
Well, the red EH and Efests may well be IMR. They will say either IMR or Li-Mn on the battery label if they are. Just be aware that you shouldn't use anything but an AW 18490 IMR for sub-ohm RBA's as the EH and Efest IMR's only have a 8 amp limit.

I'm rather concerned by your questioning that you may not have done enough research to be doing sub-ohm coil rebuilding yet.

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA
Well, the red EH and Efests may well be IMR. They will say either IMR or Li-Mn on the battery label if they are. Just be aware that you shouldn't use anything but an AW 18490 IMR for sub-ohm RBA's as the EH and Efest IMR's only have a 8 amp limit.

I'm rather concerned by your questioning that you may not have done enough research to be doing sub-ohm coil rebuilding yet.

thats why i'm asking now...thought the purple efests were the best for sub ohms....mostly what i vape is 1.3-1.7 ohm builds but my dripper is sub ohm

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
next question then....got a link for the most inexpensive place to get them? especially a two pack deal?
AW IMR 18490 3.7v 1100mAh - RTD vapor

I don't know about RTD Vapor being the most inexpensive, but at least you will know you are getting a genuine AW battery. AW batteries are the most counterfeited battery in the world due to their popularity and reputation. Buying batteries from Ebay or Amazon carries high risks that your batteries could be fakes. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/568840-sure-your-aw-batteries-genuine-how-tell.html

RTD is an authorized AW dealer and receives their AW batteries directly from AW.

"Battery counterfeiting - This is a growing problem and all APV users need to be aware of it.

This is what happens: the counterfeiters buy reject Li-ion batteries in bulk, strip the covers off, and re-cover them with labels that change them to look like popular brands. In this way they can take a cell bought for 10 cents, re-work it, and sell it as for example an AW battery with a retail price of $10. The profits are very high and this practice is growing. It means that you never really know what battery you have unless you buy from somewhere with a verified supply chain. For example, all AW batteries offered for sale on Alibaba are counterfeits, and possibly dangerous."
Rolygate, http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html

Last edited:

young gotti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
PA
AW IMR 18490 3.7v 1100mAh - RTD vapor

I don't know about RTD Vapor being the most inexpensive, but at least you will know you are getting a genuine AW battery. AW batteries are the most counterfeited battery in the world due to their popularity and reputation. Buying batteries from Ebay or Amazon carries high risks that your batteries could be fakes. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/batteries-chargers/568840-sure-your-aw-batteries-genuine-how-tell.html

RTD is an authorized AW dealer and receives their AW batteries directly from AW.

the works, $2 cheaper than provape and $1 cheaper than some other site i saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread