PV adapters screw up center post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lstav2

May 17, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I think I'm about to take my few PV adapters and pitch 'em in the trash. These are the "chrome" adapters, and they always seem to push the center post down too far - the result being that when I screw on a standard 510/306 atomizer or carto (Boge or Smoktech, e.g.) directly to the PV they do not make contact and the unit will not fire. It's easy to see: hold a carto side-by-side with another attached to an adapter. From the bottom edge (lowest point visible when threaded on) to the contact point there's a considerable difference in length.

I know you can take the adapter, turn it upside down, and "tap" its center pin level with the outer edge, but it seems the minute you attach anything to it the pin extends once again. I'm tired of prying up the center post on the battery just so I can use my old 901 stuff.

So the question is: where can I get quality adapters with the same length threads as the attys they're designed to mimic? I'd really like to get something along the lines of the J-tank, but I know I'm going to need a 510-to-510 extender due to the button placement on my PV. Suggestions?

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Things should not be screwed in further than necessary to contact and work. Nothing should be screwed in as far as humanly possible. The reason for the length for the adapters is because some models have deeper throats and need that extra length to get contact.

If you cannot live with the gap, then look for adjustable adapters that adjust for depth (they have 2 pieces, and one turns to shorten the threaded part).

Are you just using an extenders? I know Madvapes has a short extender - dunno if that is different from what you are using. As far as I know it is 1 piece.

Last edited:

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
The center post of most adapters is able to move for the reason dormouse mentioned. Try screwing the adapter into your PV first, then the atty/carto, and only screw in the atty until it makes contact, it doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) as tight as it will possibly go. Over-tightening is your worst enemy and a common mistake ;-)

It's easy to see: hold a carto side-by-side with another attached to an adapter. From the bottom edge (lowest point visible when threaded on) to the contact point there's a considerable difference in length.
You will notice this same difference between different brands and models of attys and cartos. Regardless of how far the center post protrudes, once it makes contact with the battery connector it doesn't need to be tightened further

Lstav2

May 17, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Strangely enough, Dormouse, the most trouble I've had is with that exact shorty 510-to-510 you mentioned. It has no slot for length adjustment. I should say had; the insulator ring came out and I did throw it away. I was using it primarily to protect the threads on my PV (don't know if that's really necessary).

The other adapter I've been using is a 510-901 so that I could make use of my old Echo cartomizers and SLB atomizers. That one seems to work most of the time. I had also been thinking about getting a 510-801 (covering all the bases, so to speak) because I've heard such good things about 801 atomizers.

In the near future I plan on getting some kind of tank. I use a Roughstack, so I'm going to need a longer 510-510 to clear the button. I've seen one about an inch long at GoodProphets - it looks a bit different from the chrome ones, kind of a titanium color with brass ends.

It's very possible I've been screwing these down too hard. I guess I'm just a thug. You mentioned a 2-piece design with threads for adjusting length. Any idea who carries these? Thanks.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
I don't know of many adjustable ones, all of the adapters I have are not, but MadVapes has an adjustable 510-901 and I'm sure there are a few others around that aren't billed as such but can still be adjusted.
Look for ones that have a "slot" on the post on both ends, that's usually an indication that the center post is actually in two pieces (for factory assembly purposes) and these can often be adjusted a little bit

Lstav2

May 17, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Thanks Killjoy, I'll look for the slots. Unfortunately, on most vendor websites you just get a generic pic without much detail.

I did read NebulaBrot's very informative post on different adapters last night. He compared 4-5 different 510-801 adapters (I think), and they are very different. One thing of note was that one of his favorites had a much larger space between the positive and negative on the 510 end. Unfortunately, that leaves me back where I began - which vendors?

NebulaBrot did go on to say that the Stealth Adapters did have the preferred design. At least with the name Stealth that gives me a place to start, but I don't think they have a 510-510.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread