ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I’m guessing we all saw Shawshank Redemption. I like to play this ending from time to time. It was a long movie and all but the last few minutes were about lost hope. It was actually a depressing movie for the most part. But these last few minutes made up for it.

Odd too, narrated movies are generally a cop out. It takes the place of actors and directors having to do their jobs of getting their story told. But for some reason, narration worked in this movie. I’m thinking it was because it was Morgan Freeman doing the narration. He had the voice and style to pull it off…similar to James Earl Jones.

Oh, one other thing. Notice how after Red pulls the money out of the envelope he looks all around him. Isn’t that what you would expect him to do being a lifelong prison convict? Subtle inclusions but brilliant movie making.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I’m guessing we all saw Shawshank Redemption. I like to play this ending from time to time. It was a long movie and all but the last few minutes were about lost hope. It was actually a depressing movie for the most part. But these last few minutes made up for it.

Odd too, narrated movies are generally a cop out. It takes the place of actors and directors having to do their jobs of getting their story told. But for some reason, narration worked in this movie. I’m thinking it was because it was Morgan Freeman doing the narration. He had the voice and style to pull it off…similar to James Earl Jones.

Oh, one other thing. Notice how after Red pulls the money out of the envelope he looks all around him. Isn’t that what you would expect him to do being a lifelong prison convict? Subtle inclusions but brilliant movie making.

I had read it many years before, and was surprised when they casted Morgan Freeman as Red. I didn't know what to expect but this was definitely one that worked.

QUITE well, in fact. I think I enjoyed the movie more than the story. If not, it was VERY close.

Reactions: Bronze

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I had read it many years before, and was surprised when they casted Morgan Freeman as Red. I didn't know what to expect but this was definitely one that worked.

QUITE well, in fact. I think I enjoyed the movie more than the story. If not, it was VERY close.
Who was Red in the book?

Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Who was Red in the book?

He was described as a red-headed Irishman. For some reason (lol), I pictured more of an older Robert Redford than a Morgan Freeman.

That said, I'm REALLY GLAD they went with Freeman. He ultimately made it all work, and brought it together better than I could have ever imagined.

Reactions: Bronze

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
He was described as a red-headed Irishman. For some reason (lol), I pictured more of an older Robert Redford than a Morgan Freeman.

That said, I'm REALLY GLAD they went with Freeman. He ultimately made it all work, and brought it together better than I could have ever imagined.
Quite the departure.

• Agree
Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
We never get to hear Nancy enough:

I am SO GLAD they worked out whatever was going on between them. They belong together.

Nancy tells a great story about the recording of that song. Apparently, she was deathly sick the day they recorded it. She wanted to re-do it, and they tried.

They said they couldn't capture the raspiness of her sickness, so the one that got released was her feeling at her worse (but singing amazingly well).

:wub:

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
One of their husbands/boyfriends got into an altercation with one of their children and beat them up. I can’t remember the exact details.

I did NOT know that! Thanks, JWB. At least now it makes sense.

That's fupped duck!!!!!!! :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

1714311984003.png

Reactions: jwbnyc

Users who are viewing this thread