ProVarinati Diner & Saloon and Beyond

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I guess between you and I our collective knowledge about ballet pretty much sucks. Perhaps both of us could benefit from attending finishing school.

You and I would almost certainly make a lov-e-ly bunch of debutantes. :lol:

Attachments

• 1712958719968.png
    1712958719968.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 2

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
When I go back to some of those 70s and 80s Rush records I find myself thinking, gee nothing really ever sounded like that before or since. Seriously, are there any songs that sound like Freewill? How about Red Barchetta? Afterimage? Very unique sounds. Nothing standard about them that they used in many of their songs. In a weird way It reminds me of cars in the last 40 years. Let’s be honest, they all look the same. Similar boring colors, similar boring shapes. Nothing stands out. Now stick a 1973 yellow Dodge Challenger in there. Now that stands out because you don’t see anything like that anymore…at least until they re-released them again in their same form. Many of those Rush tunes stand out as being very unique and colorful and it seems more convincing as all this time has passed.

• Agree
Reactions: DPLongo22

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Movie break!

The topic of Viking funerals came up in convo with Kat a bit ago (it's a long story - don't ask), and it reminded me of the closing scene from a rather enjoyable little movie named, Rocket Gibraltar. To date, I'm the only human I've ever met who has actually seen it.

You'll recognize a very young Macaulay Culkin and the voice of Burt Lancaster, who played his grandfather.

Has ANYONE else seen this movie? I'm just wondering. ONE day I will find SOMEONE else who has seen it. :lol:

Reactions: jwbnyc

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Movie break!

The topic of Viking funerals came up in convo with Kat a bit ago (it's a long story - don't ask), and it reminded me of the closing scene from a rather enjoyable little movie named, Rocket Gibraltar. To date, I'm the only human I've ever met who has actually seen it.

You'll recognize a very young Macaulay Culkin and the voice of Burt Lancaster, who played his grandfather.

Has ANYONE else seen this movie? I'm just wondering. ONE day I will find SOMEONE else who has seen it. :lol:

Not me.

Reactions: DPLongo22

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'm going to sell the wife's 2007 Jeep soon and replace it with a car that very well could be the last car I buy. That's my intention anyway...it wont get a lot of miles as we will both be retired. So it has to be durable. I spent a ton of time over the last several years researching automobiles and talking to lots of mechanics. I have a real good idea what's out there these days. My Conclusion: Toyota (Lexus) and Honda (Acura) make the best automobiles. And more recently, you can add Mazda to that list. No one else really challenges them. Subaru is OK but they're almost all AWD. All Chrysler products are crap. Jeep is crap. BMW is crap. Mercedes is crap. The Korean cars are crap. All General Motors products are crap except for their larger trucks (1 ton on up). All Ford products are crap except for their truck line which is still pretty good. Volkswagen is crap. Pretty much lots of crappy automobiles out there if you're looking to keep one for a long time. The Japanese still dominate (though Nissan and Mitsubishi are crap).

Not remotely interested in electric, hybrid, turbo charged, or supercharged automobiles. Only interested in straight up internal combustion engines. Haven't settled on a 4 cyl or 6 cyl. Plusses and minuses for both. Don't want a CVT but haven't completely ruled out the recent Toyota and Honda CVTs that incorporate a "launch gear". Prefer a regular automatic tranny, perhaps an 8-speed. FWD. AWD completely out...totally unnecessary in the south and very expensive to repair plus if one tire gets wrecked you gotta replace all four...screw that!

I have yet to find a mechanic who didn't think Honda, Toyota, and Mazda were the best automobiles made...especially if they were built in Japan. If you got money to burn you can get their luxury versions (Lexus and Acura). Truthfully, it is getting harder to find the cars I'm interested in. So many are electric, hybrid, turbocharged, AWD, or CVT. But they're out here, just gotta look. Likely to get a 2-3 year old car with 20-40K miles.

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
I'm going to sell the wife's 2007 Jeep soon and replace it with a car that very well could be the last car I buy. That's my intention anyway...it wont get a lot of miles as we will both be retired. So it has to be durable. I spent a ton of time over the last several years researching automobiles and talking to lots of mechanics. I have a real good idea what's out there these days. My Conclusion: Toyota (Lexus) and Honda (Acura) make the best automobiles. And more recently, you can add Mazda to that list. No one else really challenges them. Subaru is OK but they're almost all AWD. All Chrysler products are crap. Jeep is crap. BMW is crap. Mercedes is crap. The Korean cars are crap. All General Motors products are crap except for their larger trucks (1 ton on up). All Ford products are crap except for their truck line which is still pretty good. Volkswagen is crap. Pretty much lots of crappy automobiles out there if you're looking to keep one for a long time. The Japanese still dominate (though Nissan and Mitsubishi are crap).

Not remotely interested in electric, hybrid, turbo charged, or supercharged automobiles. Only interested in straight up internal combustion engines. Haven't settled on a 4 cyl or 6 cyl. Plusses and minuses for both. Don't want a CVT but haven't completely ruled out the recent Toyota and Honda CVTs that incorporate a "launch gear". Prefer a regular automatic tranny, perhaps an 8-speed. FWD. AWD completely out...totally unnecessary in the south and very expensive to repair plus if one tire gets wrecked you gotta replace all four...screw that!

I have yet to find a mechanic who didn't think Honda, Toyota, and Mazda were the best automobiles made...especially if they were built in Japan. If you got money to burn you can get their luxury versions (Lexus and Acura). Truthfully, it is getting harder to find the cars I'm interested in. So many are electric, hybrid, turbocharged, AWD, or CVT. But they're out here, just gotta look. Likely to get a 2-3 year old car with 20-40K miles.
I have 4 Toyotas. 2 Avalons, a highlander and a tundra. 2002 Avalon has 300k, 2012 Avalon with 90k, Tundra is 2016 with 32k,. 2022 highlander has less than 9k. All with v6. Do the recommended maintenance and they are trouble free. Will dump the 2022 soon. Burns quart of oil every 1000 miles. My two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread