Provari Mini vs Legacy Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I've been using Puresmoker products since day one. Currently I'm using a Legacy Mini with extension tube and Kick. It's great. The small size (18490) is nice and the craftsmanship is outstanding. But it's finicky. The Kick has to be seated just right and all the contact points have to be squeaky clean or it misfires. This leads to more futzing around with it than I want to do. So, I ordered a Provari Mini with the extension so I can use my 18490 bats. At the very least I'm hoping that having both will enable me to take the Legacy out of service while I disassemble and trouble shoot it. At most I'd be happy if it's more reliable than the Legacy. I love Puresmoker, but their decision to rely on the Kick for VV (VW, actually) seems like a mistake to me.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I just received my first PureSmoker legacy, and I must say it is very nice. I have a ProVari too. What I have learned is that I enjoy the Legacy with straight battery power using an rba that I have set up around 1.1 ohms. No kick needed, and no fiddling with the menu on the ProVari.

Don't get me wrong, the ProVari is very well built and extremely reliable, but I often take multiple draws back to back in short pulls. This causes the ProVari to think I am trying to access the menu. If I'm not paying attention I will then change my settings! That's a bit frustrating sometimes. So, I have reverted to mechanical mods for the most part.

I haven't used a kick, but toyed with the idea. I really don't think I would like it now that I have looked into it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I already owned a Silver Bullet when I finally decided that I wanted to use variable voltage. I could have easily got a Kick and an extension tube. But to change the settings on the Kick, it must be removed from the unit and a tool used to turn a settings wheel. Each time you wish to change the setting, you have to repeat the process.

That seemed like too much extra work and too time-consuming for me, as I like to frequently change out flavors that require a change in voltage for the best flavor production. A dedicated variable voltage device was better suited for my particular usage. Your situation may be different if you use just one delivery device or setting.

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
I agree and disagree. I have a kick and I love it. Is it finicky? It can be at times, but most often it's great and does it's job. I know when the kick has given me a stutter vape I've pulled it out and took a vape off just the battery and it's nowhere near as good as the last one the kick gave me, so it's doing it's job properly. It really is a set and forget kind of device. I never fiddle with it unless i'm turning it down because I need to stretch my batt life for the day. I've got a vamo coming, it will be my first vv device, and I'm sure it will be awesome, but I also want a high quality mech mod to use my kick in. There's just something comforting in the fact that if all the electronics get blown or fried from using vv/vw mods with rba's (kick included) I would have at least 1 mod that was immune to electrical failure.

The bolt was and is my first mod. I got it at vapercon with the kick as well and never used it without the kick. I've since modded the wiring and added a better switch, so it's a little powerhouse now. While it was down I did regret purchasing the bolt for a while, but I definately don't regret getting the kick.

Edit: I don't mean to say don't get a provari mini. Just saying everything has it's place.

Last edited:

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
Oh, for sure. Thing is, I love my Legacy. As a Puresmoker guy from day one I'm not going to abandon them now. My feeling about it is that the Kick should have a more positive contact that's easy to clean. The Legacy doesn't need any change, though I suppose the interior could be polished a little at the top where the Kick makes contact with it. And while I'm on the topic, the Legacy has an issue with ruining batteries too. I love the bottom switch, but if you drop the device on the switch it'll punch a depression on the bottom of the battery making it unreliable.

But yeah, I'd never bag too hard on Puresmoker. I've really liked every one of their mods. Even the Prodigy V2 with its shoddy switch.

The Provari Mini looks pretty sweet. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread