ProVape/Provarinati collaboration - Help pick a new design!

Status
Not open for further replies.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
Due to the popularity of the Collaboration thread, it's caused my 10 GB bandwidth limit to be exceeded, causing havoc with all of the signatures and pictures I've made. I apologize, as I had no idea this was going to happen. The 10 GB resets monthly, on the date I joined photobucket. That date is tomorrow, the 4th. Hang tight, and everything will be back to normal within 24 hrs.

Maybe tell them how to get their own photobucket account?

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
I like the "Made in USA" more than a date engraving.

IMHO, Made in USA has been a moniker and unique philosophy of Provape from the very beginning of the company as detailed in PBusardo's interview with David and Philipp.

Maybe if this special edition cap goes over well we can talk to Provape about doing one especially for our military past and present.With 100 percent of the profits going to a veterans charity. With an American flag and Made in the U.S.A featured proudly?

I think it would sell just as well if not better than the Provarinati cap and the Fourth is right around the corner.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I've always wished they did more "special" end caps - and that would indeed be a good and popular theme.

Maybe if this special edition cap goes over well we can talk to Provape about doing one especially for our military past and present.With 100 percent of the profits going to a veterans charity. With an American flag and Made in the U.S.A featured proudly?

I think it would sell just as well if not better than the Provarinati cap and the Fourth is right around the corner.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I finally remembered where I saw this. It's not by ProVape, but it is for the ProVari:

Innovape M1 Pro Extension Cap

m1%20protank-11.jpg

FringeChief68

Kingsguard
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
This has been a fun collaboration with all of you.
gif-simon's-cat-hedgehog-400584.gif

I know I said I was going to let this run for two weeks, but I don't really feel this is necessary any more. Enough people have liked this design or some variation of it. So this cap, with Lumen Sees Totus engraved on the edge will be our submission to ProVape. Now Ocelot, Kenny and I have to figure out who will be getting the image ready for submittal. :)
sunburst_smaller.jpg

Donations split 50/50, with half going to CASAA, and the other half going to Wounded Warrior Project.

*The only concern I have is that ProVape might balk at having a date on it. These could be hard to sell in 2015, 16, etc. On the other hand, they could be quite collectable, depending on how many ProVape makes. Also, it would be nice if ProVape makes this a yearly fan project, which will let us go back and revisit other designs. I expect I'll be making a Pre-order thread to gauge how many of these we'll need.

I also need suggestions for engraving the sides of the extended cap, if ProVape lets us have both standard and extended cap options. :D

I just wanted to say Thanks for all your time and effort :)

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
I think the logo should be simple and small to conserve space, yet not so small you can't read it.

It might not make sense, but what about the double P's in the flippable Provarinati sig logo? Read right side up it would read Pi, flipped over it would read the same. image.jpg See the P and the i?

The logo could even actually represent human philosophy: Pi as in the mathematical term, and the P and upside down p made by the i could also represent duality, or yin and yang if you will

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
...It might not make sense...
We're just an informal club, almost a cult, but we leave that touchy feely existentialism at the door.

...or in the Saloon.

While the idea has merit, it doesn't make sense. We already have a sigil we use when space is constrained. The triangle, and sometimes the eye.

secutorum

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
I'd like to provide a quick touch up on the Latin. Lumen sees totus says almost what everyone believes it to mean. Below is a technical explanation.

Lumen- Is a neuter noun of the 3rd declension, second variant. In this case it acts as the nominative (subject) and is grammatically correct (correctly declined for its case with proper inflected ending). It technically means 'Light' or 'Lamp', but has documented archaic use as meaning Eye (of a person). Its likely esoteric use is in poetry which consistently breaks grammar 'rules' and is often highly figurative and speculative. It's strong and I like its use a lot.

Sees- This is not a traceable Latin word and is likely English inserted into the motto. If it truly is a Latin verb, it is conjugated incorrectly. The subject Lumen is singular and third person. There is only one applicable case where a verb can end in -es, and that is for a 2nd person future active indicative 2nd conjugation verb (You will see). The only other times a verb can end in -es is the 2nd person passive indicative perfect (You have been seen) or the 2nd person active subjunctive pluperfect (don't ask what that would translate as. It's horridly complex). There are a few commonly used verbs that mean to see:

videre- to see, look at, watch
spectare- to observe, watch, look at, consider
aspicere- to behold, regard, face, contemplate
sentire- to perceive, feel, experience, see, be aware of

I personally would choose sentire. I think it fits the idea of what we're working with here. The correct conjugation would be sentit.

Totus- This word, while Latin, doesn't work here. First, it's an adjective, and since it is in the nominative, it modifies the subject lumen. Assuming I agree that sees means sees, what is written means 'The total eye sees'. At times, you can use adjectives as nouns, however totus is a quantitative adjective and is meant for mathematics or accounting- disciplines where there is something to definitively to count. A better noun for use with this motto would be omnes. Omnes means roughly what you are looking for- the whole, everything, all and is qualitative rather than quantitative. Since it answers the question 'what does the eye see?', it needs to be in the accusative (direct object of the subject), so therefore omnem.

All together, the motto comes out as lumen sentit omnen : the Eye Perceives All.

Source: PhD in Medieval Church History, reading Latin for fun, teaching advanced Medieval Latin to graduate students.

I apologize for the technicality of the above post. I am a complete language nerd, word nerd and unabashed Latin nerd. Am I saying you need to change your motto? Absolutely NOT! In this day and age, you will find very few people that have the specialized knowledge to reliably critique Latin anything. Your motto means whatever you say it means!

Additionally, I am making a road trip this weekend to get my first ProVari- a Dragon! Bummed that there are no local ProVari dealers, but super excited to get a Dragon!

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Can we print this on a card to accompany the Lumen Sees Totus cap?
:D
We can't use Omnen. Or we could, but I'd always see "Lumen Something NomNomNom".
Actually, that would be good for a juice name.
:D

I'd like to provide a quick touch up on the Latin. Lumen sees totus says almost what everyone believes it to mean. Below is a technical explanation.

Lumen- Is a neuter noun of the 3rd declension, second variant. In this case it acts as the nominative (subject) and is grammatically correct (correctly declined for its case with proper inflected ending). It technically means 'Light' or 'Lamp', but has documented archaic use as meaning Eye (of a person). Its likely esoteric use is in poetry which consistently breaks grammar 'rules' and is often highly figurative and speculative. It's strong and I like its use a lot.

Sees- This is not a traceable Latin word and is likely English inserted into the motto. If it truly is a Latin verb, it is conjugated incorrectly. The subject Lumen is singular and third person. There is only one applicable case where a verb can end in -es, and that is for a 2nd person future active indicative 2nd conjugation verb (You will see). The only other times a verb can end in -es is the 2nd person passive indicative perfect (You have been seen) or the 2nd person active subjunctive pluperfect (don't ask what that would translate as. It's horridly complex). There are a few commonly used verbs that mean to see:

videre- to see, look at, watch
spectare- to observe, watch, look at, consider
aspicere- to behold, regard, face, contemplate
sentire- to perceive, feel, experience, see, be aware of

I personally would choose sentire. I think it fits the idea of what we're working with here. The correct conjugation would be sentit.

Totus- This word, while Latin, doesn't work here. First, it's an adjective, and since it is in the nominative, it modifies the subject lumen. Assuming I agree that sees means sees, what is written means 'The total eye sees'. At times, you can use adjectives as nouns, however totus is a quantitative adjective and is meant for mathematics or accounting- disciplines where there is something to definitively to count. A better noun for use with this motto would be omnes. Omnes means roughly what you are looking for- the whole, everything, all and is qualitative rather than quantitative. Since it answers the question 'what does the eye see?', it needs to be in the accusative (direct object of the subject), so therefore omnem.

All together, the motto comes out as lumen sentit omnen : the Eye Perceives All.

Source: PhD in Medieval Church History, reading Latin for fun, teaching advanced Medieval Latin to graduate students.

I apologize for the technicality of the above post. I am a complete language nerd, word nerd and unabashed Latin nerd. Am I saying you need to change your motto? Absolutely NOT! In this day and age, you will find very few people that have the specialized knowledge to reliably critique Latin anything. Your motto means whatever you say it means!

Additionally, I am making a road trip this weekend to get my first ProVari- a Dragon! Bummed that there are no local ProVari dealers, but super excited to get a Dragon!

Trypno

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
We the ProVarinati speak an ancient Eng-Latin that I myself have yet to completely pick up on.

But if I may, I believe Lumen Sees Totus could roughly translate as "I totally see the light." or "I see the light in totality."

Though we tend to just say "I get it now." which is etymologically the same thing. ;)

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
We the ProVarinati speak an ancient Eng-Latin that I myself have yet to completely pick up on.

But if I may, I believe Lumen Sees Totus could roughly translate as "I totally see the light." or "I see the light in totality."

Though we tend to just say "I get it now." which is etymologically the same thing. ;)

Pretty much. Legend has it that a subordinate of EddardinWinter claimed to have more knowledge of Latin than he really did and it was already in use before we discovered it was pseudo EngLatin.

Whatever; it's ours now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread