Prodigy V2 Button Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
A couple of tips on improving the V2's button function. I followed Steve's advice and took the flat, round gasket and small, clear rubber band off the inside part of the round button/spring housing. I put on a #60 0-Ring in it's place. (these are found in the plumbing department of Home Depot or Lowes for $1.95 for a 10 pack)

When I did this, I got no power at all, which told me I was not making proper contact. So, I left the 0-ring on but added the round, flat gasket back on, right up against the 0-ring. What a difference this made. Not only did I get full power, but now you just have to lightly press the button and the V2 fires every time. Plus there is now no "play" in the button any longer. No more sore thumb or finger from pressing hard.

It is hard to get the 0-ring over the round button due to it being so tight. I solved this problem by taking two, 1/2" food skewers, rolling the 0-ring over the two skewers, sticking the pointed ends of the skewers into the hole of the button housing where the spring goes and then simply rolled the o-ring onto the button housing.

I hope this isn't too confusing and helps anyone trying to improve the function of the V2 button.

Last edited:

solitary1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2009
Englewood,Florida
My experience with the prodigy switch has been very up and down.When it arrived the switch worked flawlessly every time.After about a week of constant use suddenly it became hit or miss and required more pressure than before.Took the switch apart shaved about 1mm off the bottom of the spring housing,scraped the switch seat and inspected the contacts and disc.After that it worked fine for a couple of days then reverted back to hit or miss.The last resort was to turn the contact pins round side up and vaping like a champ ever since.In my opinion the contact pins were cut to short to sit above the shelf that stops the button when fully depressed.Don't ask me why it worked for a week like a dream,no clue,it's working now and that's all I care about.This design may be a bit finicky but it is a simple set up and very workable without special tools or an engineering degree.If the o-ring works great,round side up on the pins worked for me.

ZERO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
people's republic
Thanks for the info! I will try this if needed but hopefully my V2 was made on a Wednesday.
smoke.gif

Captain Morgan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2010
Oklahoma
As I mentioned on another post, if your V2 is misfiring and you haven't had time to go to home depot or your online order of o-rings hasn't arrived yet, you can get your V2 firing again quite simply and without taking it apart. All you need to do is take hold of the tiny button on the switch between your thumb and forefinger and give it about a 1/2 turn in any direction and then continue vaping. Works for me everytime.

What I think is happening when the o-ring goes bad is that it allows the round contact surrounding the button to get a little askew and thus not bridge the two contact points. Rotating the button and repressing it temporarily re-aligns so that it is once again flush with the contact points. Pressing harder on the button is IMO just going to further damage the o-ring allowing the button ring to get even further askew. When you re-align it as above you just press the button as normal and it fires. Depending on how bad your o-ring is, you may have to do this 2 or 3 times a day until you replace the o-ring.

Last edited:

SOHCking

Sep 26, 2009
Shreveport, LA
This switch situation is interesting. My sister and I both got our V2's in the mail the same day but she says her switch is taking too much pressure to activate. Mine however is working flawlessly.

I do have the mechanical switch on my protege too though so maybe I'm just used to it but to me my V2 switch is activating without fail and without having to put pressure on it. I might try this fix on my sister's V2 and see what happens.

Last edited:

tattooed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2009
VA
I think a lot of the switch issues are due to this little silicone gasket. Silicone is very soft and it could easily get squished or misaligned, etc. The thing I like best about the switch is, its incredibly easy to take apart. There's nothing to it at all.

FTR, my switch has been perfect. I may switch out the gasket with an o-ring just because I have these laying around at the house. One thing I have done though is use some Ox-Gard on the device threads, switch, and adapter contact points and I've got to say, this helps a ton. I'm going to use this stuff on all my PVs.

Quitter

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
Cleveland, OH
I rotate the button center anytime I'm getting intermittent contact as mentioned above. Every so often I pull out the resistor ring and lay it flat on some 200 grit sandpaper and rub it around. It polishes off any build up without wearing down the material. Works like new for quite a while after that.

Still wish these switches would just work without any fooling around!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread