fixed fire button on my Itastes SVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsn555

Jul 25, 2014
usa
My Itaste a SVD came down with a bad fire button. After searching for a solution with no avail, I decided to take it apart. It would just turn off or become completely unresponsive anyway, so I figured why not.
First, I used a precision sized flat head screwdriver to get under the lip on the button ring. Gently twisting, so as to lift the ring away from the body of the SVD. I did this little by little all the way around the ring until it popped off. It's worth noting this did scratch the ring a little, so maybe something softer would have been better. After that I played with the button on the circuit board, noticing that it really only works with a direct depression of the button. After trying a few things I ended up using a small screw that was just long enough to to through the soft rubbery white section of the two piece button that is the SVD button assembly . I assembled the two pieces together and carefully... Placed the screw so as to join the two pieces together but not so much to change the overall leghth of the parts. After experimentation I realized the soft white part behide the black button on the SVD is the real culprit here it wriggles and slides and I noticed a depression from the button on the circuit board. It, really should be hard plastic this soft material just wears out apparently and doesn't transfer a direct force to the circuit board button. I put everything back in place taking care to not over tighten the retaining ring that holds the button together, and also taking care it was even all the way around so as to not jamm up the button altogether. My SVD is as responsive as ever now ! Hope this helps others!

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
My Itaste a SVD came down with a bad fire button. After searching for a solution with no avail, I decided to take it apart. It would just turn off or become completely unresponsive anyway, so I figured why not.
First, I used a precision sized flat head screwdriver to get under the lip on the button ring. Gently twisting, so as to lift the ring away from the body of the SVD. I did this little by little all the way around the ring until it popped off. It's worth noting this did scratch the ring a little, so maybe something softer would have been better. After that I played with the button on the circuit board, noticing that it really only works with a direct depression of the button. After trying a few things I ended up using a small screw that was just long enough to to through the soft rubbery white section of the two piece button that is the SVD button assembly . I assembled the two pieces together and carefully... Placed the screw so as to join the two pieces together but not so much to change the overall leghth of the parts. After experimentation I realized the soft white part behide the black button on the SVD is the real culprit here it wriggles and slides and I noticed a depression from the button on the circuit board. It, really should be hard plastic this soft material just wears out apparently and doesn't transfer a direct force to the circuit board button. I put everything back in place taking care to not over tighten the retaining ring that holds the button together, and also taking care it was even all the way around so as to not jamm up the button altogether. My SVD is as responsive as ever now ! Hope this helps others!

Great explanation of how to fix. Thanks for sharing.

jsn555

Jul 25, 2014
usa
One thing I didn't like about this fix was that the button was really stiff, so, I took it apart again. This time I used a plastic pry bar, no scratches. I removed the screw from the previous fix and cut it half. I then placed it in between the hard outer button and soft inner part of the button. There is a groove or channel that connects the two halves, I placed it point down. After reassembly the button had a little give but fired consistently. I think a bb or small pebble would have worked. It really just needs to be small enough to fit inside the soft inner button. Although with the trimmed screw I was able to screw it into the soft side. It didn't go through and still left room for the outer button to go back into place, leaving a small gap between the two. The screw was about 3-4 16ths long with a number one Phillips head that was about 2-2 1\2 16 ths wide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread